NAD: laney L5 Studio

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by EuroBailey, Feb 10, 2018.

1. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

Been searching for one of these for quite some time. Couldn’t even find one to demo in Australia ! Finally got hold of one second hand to try and purchased today :)

It’s going to take over from
    My little vox ac4tv which was my first amp and I didn’t quite ever bond with it.

IMG_5419.JPG

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  2. Kingslayer

Kingslayer TDPRI Member

That's a beauty bro. I'd plug into her Any day. Congratulations on the find and the resilience to hold off till the right one came.

EuroBailey likes this.
  3. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

Thank you :) I am
    Very happy! Beautiful looking and beautiful sounding :) really versatile for bedroom playing too , so far it’s been worth the wait :)

4. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

There are two different versions of that amp, one has a USB connector and digital delay, the other is older and has no USB and a real spring reverb.

5. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Veery nice. Veery pricy.
    if it weren't for that it would replace my AC too.

6. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

Yep this has usb connection, digital reverb. The combo made in Uk is the only one that has spring reverb I believe ? The heads were all usb? Could be wrong there tho!

7. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

Yep brand new they are very costly! Especially in Aus. I got this for a good price second hand, Saved a lot on a new price .

8. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nice rig! Love the HotRod..

EuroBailey likes this.
  9. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Very nice looking, congrats on finding it.

EuroBailey likes this.
  10. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

Congrats, sorry you never bonded with the AC4TV. It's a little late now but I switched the 12AX7 to a 12AT7 and found the amp more usable . If you sell it you can use that as a selling point . . . .

11. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

Thanks mike . I had investigated a few mods to it but I also figured I had an itch for the laney that was not going away haha. I am going to sell the vox , it’s in great condition so hopefully will get snapped up quickly.

12. 0utputXfmr

0utputXfmr Tele-Meister

Thanks for sharing! I actually happen to be in the market for a low-wattage tube amp.

My #1 choice is the Traynor Dark Horse, but it is almost impossible to find one for sale. If I keep coming up empty there, the Lionheart 5 is definitely my second pick.

13. PinewoodRo

PinewoodRo Tele-Afflicted

Very nice.
    I love my Laney VC15 but they are probably a bit cheaper here.
    Congrats!

EuroBailey likes this.
  14. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

There is certainly lots of options! Everytime I discussed my wish list people would throw up a different model to look at! I am pretty happy with what I have gone with but sounds like there are probably 5-10 other low wattage amps that are also pretty amazing! This one got me over the line with two channels , great reviews, usb connectivity and the looks haha! Hughes and kettner 20 (which I think is a bit lairy for my taste) has similar features but an extra channel and goes up to 20 watt and down to 1 also looks good . For a cheaper option I would have just got the laney cub or tried out a vox ac4c1

15. 0utputXfmr

0utputXfmr Tele-Meister

Yeah, I've been seeing quite a bit of ballyhoo about Class A single-ended parallel tube amps lately. After 30 years of mostly preamp overdrive, people are finally rediscovering what the fans of Dan Reeves (Sound City, HiWatt, Reeves, HiTone) and Mat Mathias (Orange, MatAmp, Electric Amp) amp designs have known for years-- power tube distortion can be awesome!

Laney has also done a good job with their GHR range, from what I've been seeing, except that my OCD gets hung up on the fact that the preamp leaves one of the triodes in one of the ECC83's un-used. Yes, I'm that compulsive. Okay, and I wish they had some sort of low-wattage functionality...

Personally, I'd love to give a Hayden MoFo 15 a tryout, but Hayden anything is a tough find on this side of the Atlantic!

Please keep us "in the loop" on how your Lionheart works out for you!

16. ebb soul

The traynor DH won't get up and 'grrr' like the laney but god is it a good pedal platform that sounds like a fender deluxe.

17. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Congrats, heard good things! I know I love my LC15, and a friend in your area (Warburton) loves his VCs.

I took a serious look at the 20 combo some years back. I eneded up going with something else, but I'm pretty sure it would have worked well.

EuroBailey likes this.
  18. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Congrats.

EuroBailey likes this.
  19. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

??? Pricey?

One setup like that sold on Reverb a while back for <$800. At worst I've seen heads for $750 or so and cabs for $3-400. I guess that could be "pricey" to some but when it comes to good tube amps I'd put it in the "budget" category.

kookaburra likes this.
  20. ebb soul

Yeah, pricey. Money for watts, how msny 30-50 watt amps could I choose from at that price snd how msny 4 to 20 watt amps I could have for less. The new ones I've go around $1200 how much money per watt izzat, anyhoo?
    Heh, I can tell how much someones worth by what they think of as cheap.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.