NAD Laney cub super 12

ricardo1912

Friend of Leo's
My new Laney cub super 12 arrived from Thomann a couple of weeks ago, but i thought I'd wait until I'd taken it to band rehearsal before posting.

Anyway, I bought this having played thru an older Cub 12r and seen various glowing reviews. No disappointment at all, anywhere. It really is a very good little amp.

It's def loud enough to keep up with our drummer or for gigs, nicely portable and maybe even a fraction lighter than the 12r, which isn't heavy. The old tone control, which always puzzled me as you also had treble, middle and bass eq, is gone. Instead there is a handy boost which works well for a single string nudge in a song. The new reverb is very good and goes from a slightly wet signal to full on lush. It's a quiet amp too it terms of hum. The annoying short fixed power lead has also been replaced by a standard plug in kettle version.

Added to all that it looks good and pretty well made. Def one of my better buys and it's getting a lot of use.

DSC_0178.JPG

Wooly Fox

Tele-Meister
Always liked these, considering this to pair with my 45W tube head and cab for an all tube wet dry amp setup (Cub cranked dry side, rest goes to the 45W).

How is the natural drive tone out of this?

gimmeatele

Tele-Afflicted
I use the cub head through matching speaker cab 2 X 12", and love it, but I have been using Laney since the 1970's. Hope you enjoy it.

ricardo1912

Friend of Leo's
I've never tried an extension cab but i reckon it would be ok. The standard amp is plenty loud enough for pubs, clubs, etc. Anywhere larger we'd be thru the pa.

I'd love to know why Laney has always called the 15w cubs a 12?

zeke54

Tele-Afflicted
Looks to be a great little amp , congrats ! One of my main amps is my VC15 110 . I'd guess the two are fairly similar , always wished the VC 15 had a 12" speaker but I put in an Eminence RF 10C which improved it greatly . I'm going to watch for one of these Cubs though ! Nice looking too !

MuddyWolf

Tele-Holic
Laney doesnt manufacturer speakers so a laney branded speaker is going likely to be either an OEM celestion or eminence. I'm guessing celestion.

turftone

TDPRI Member
Laney doesnt manufacturer speakers so a laney branded speaker is going likely to be either an OEM celestion or eminence. I'm guessing celestion.
10 to 1 it's a Seventy 80. That's what they put in the Monoprice version, and the chassis looks the same.

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I removed the solid board/cloth insert from my Cub head cab and replaced it with some black mesh.. to get better airflow/cooling to the amp...

It stopped working one time and my tech friend found a component near the power input area that was a heat sensitive thing? that cut out/failed.... the board was fine, he fixed it and the amp has worked fine since... maybe just removed it from the circuit?....

Laney cub cloth.jpg

Laney head cab1.JPG

Laney cub grille.JPG

ricardo1912

Friend of Leo's
I removed the solid board/cloth insert from my Cub head cab and replaced it with some black mesh.. to get better airflow/cooling to the amp...

It stopped working one time and my tech friend found a component near the power input area that was a heat sensitive thing? that cut out/failed.... the board was fine, he fixed it and the amp has worked fine since... maybe just removed it from the circuit?....

View attachment 925224

View attachment 925225

View attachment 925226

I had an older Cib 12r that failed and the tech said it was caused by the valve position. Apparently, because they hang down, they can overheat various bits and soldering. The new version has them in a different location, although apparently it's more work now to change them.

That said, my other Cub 12r has never missed a beat in many hours playing.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
So were the Laney's always China made or just the newer ones?

VintageSG

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
So were the Laney's always China made or just the newer ones?

The Cubs have been manufactured in China from day one.

Laney used to manufacture more in the UK. The Lionheart range has returned to UK manufacture, which is interesting.

Ron R

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Congrats! I'm a fan of Laney amps. And even moreso when they're loaded with HH speakers.