NAD: Laney Cub 10...what a sleeper...

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
Just found one randomly perusing a guitar store, plugged in and it is an amazing sounding little amp - very unassuming. A rich, full, bluesy sound. George Thoroughgood in spades with a semi-hollow. And I don't feel like I need any pedals to get a great sound out of it. Enjoying it very much.

This one appears to have stock speaker and tubes - I have read that it deserves an upgrade, but I have no complaints about where it is now, except perhaps the preamp tubes - will probably start rolling those here soon, but the Ruby 6v6's are doing just fine - not sure if they are chinese, slovakian, or russian yet.

F54E522A-CF39-46FC-9C9A-AF10C2A6D13F.jpeg

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
The valves'll be Sino. Not really any the worse for it. Mine lasted quite well until one fateful day they didn't. It sounded great on the Ruby 6V6's fitted, it sounds great on the JJ 6V6S' in there now. A bias tweak, or at least a check, is worth doing. Mine was colder than a penguins unmentionables when new and it perked right up when biased to 70% at idle.
V1 is the money valve. I found the EHX/Sovtek 12AY7 or the JJ 5751 really suited for me. The best valve I found for V2 was the stock Ruby.
Speaker wise, the H|H fitted to later models is OK. The Celestion Tube-10 or TEN-30 fitted to earlier models isn't too bad, but loses it at higher volumes in that little cab.
I fitted a Jensen MOD 10-70 to mine. I think I should have gone for the 10-35 as the 10-70 is a little bassy at low volumes. Works fine when cranked :)

Gain to 5 ( midday )
Volume to 7 ( 3:30 )
Tone full on ( full on )

A great little amp. Try it through a cab and be pleasantly surprised what this little spud of an amp can do. really. Through a 4x12", it roars.

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
Well, the sleeper went to sleep, permanently.

Turned it one...Hummmmmmmm...pfft. Dead. No light, no power, no nothing. Took it back.

Next.

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
Perhaps. But the fuse would go only if something else was pulling too much current. Points to a failed component or tube. I just didn't want to mess with it.
For sure. I wanted to try a Laney head, but they seem to have reliability issues. Too bad, because Tony Iommi is my favourite guitarist. I guess he gets them better built.

Already had the ‘amp repeatedly in the shop’ experience with a VOX Night Train, maybe I got a dud.

T-Bone

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
That’s a shame. I own a Laney LC15R. Definitely a “sleeper” amp. Sounds awesome and very versatile. These had a reputation for premature death too. Mine is a later model, in which most of the issues in the early ones were fixed. There are still some pro musicians that gig with these, but I understand they usually keep a spare on hand… just in case!

Edgar Allan Presley

Friend of Leo's
For sure. I wanted to try a Laney head, but they seem to have reliability issues. Too bad, because Tony Iommi is my favourite guitarist. I guess he gets them better built.

Folks who are famous and can tour with multiple amps and a tech to keep them working don't have to worry about reliability like us nobodies.