NAD - Lab Series L5

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Ex-riverman, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

If you can’t bring the MV up, then your must be maxing the pre amp gain. I never ran the MV that low. ???Maybe I like volume more than you do??? Or...maybe those Celestions are not ‘ear pleasing’....I have found that in some speakers no matter the volume. I was able to run the amp in many different ways and mimic many different amps. fwiw, both channels can be overdriven. However, the left channel does not have the parametric mid range control or the Multifilter.
    Also of interest is that the High inputs were designed for high output pickups and yield a weaker signal to the preamp than do the Lao inputs. I always ran into the Lo input...even with humbuckers. I liked the gain...and with the preamp gain control set low, it was still clean. Push that coco troll, and things got hot. Great compresssion, imho. It could be used to get singing cleans if wanted.or....one could really squash the initial signal and listen to it swell in.....fun to play with and capable of giving some interesting uses.

DrBGood, studio and Ex-riverman like this.
  2. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

Tulsa by chance? I saw one of those pop up a few days ago here and 5hiught about going to check it out...had too much going on to make time. Congrats

Ex-riverman likes this.
  3. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

I should add that back in the day I blew both speakers in my old L5 and installed a couple of EV Force 12s". Oh my aching back.

Ex-riverman likes this.
  4. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

Yep. Thanks!

5. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

So all of this discussion about the L5 has prompted me to start using mine again. The reverb is not working at the moment, and I think it may be that the 741 op amp in the driver circuit needs to be replaced. The pots need to cleaned as well. Nevertheless, even without the reverb, it's overdriven tone really does sound great, and I'll see if I can shoot a video with my 70s Telecaster partscaster with WRHBs. I could see using this amp exclusively if I were playing blues and blues rock.

Ex-riverman and W.L.Weller like this.
  6. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

I had a new L5 and a new L7 in the day.
    Awesome amps.
    you have to get the volumes right to see the compressor kick in.
    I’ve said it before. The interplay of that compressor/reverb was a masterpiece of sonic memorabilia... in the afterlife, it is already regarded as one of the truly unique and beautiful sounds formed by man... there with the cello, harp, and tweed deluxe.

7. Wally

The compression circuit will work at lower gain levels, ime. Interestingly, it also goes the other way to make the amp one of the stiffest amps you will ever play through.

Ex-riverman likes this.
  8. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

The casters help a lot!

9. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

Compressor seems to work only at low level. Dirty pots?

10. Wally

What do you mean by ‘only at low level’? Low volume levels? What setting for the Compression? At low volume, you will have to push the Compression setting far counterclockwise...toward ‘20’...in order for the signal to trigger the effect. As gain in the circuit is increased, the effect will be stronger...due to that signal....and one must then rotate the Compression pot clockwise to find the amount of compression one wants. Iirc, this effect is tied not just to the channel preamp gain but also the master volume setting.

11. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

I don’t really know how it’s supposed to work.
    I imagined that the led would light when it was on and when it didn’t turn on I assumed the light was broken. The. I turned the knob all the way CCW and the light came on but it seems to be responding to the signal. Start turning it CW and the light goes off and the effect goes away.
    So I guess according to your description, it’s working fine?
    I did really dig the sounds when the compressor was activated. I played it a lot yesterday and I think the speakers are fine and I think everything works
    My only complaint so far is it’s really hard for me to see the labels for the knobs - the color combo and my nearsightedness are to blame.
    Thanks again! Super helpful.

12. Wally

Ex, starting from th center zero on that dial, going to the negative numbers brings on compression. If the channel gain and the MV are way down low, I don’t know how far you have to toward that -0 max...iirc...to trigger the compression. A good compression circuit works the way the natu al compression in a tube amp works....it depends on signal strength to determine how hard it compresses. Try this....turn that compression pot all the way CCW. Put the channel gain at five...straight up noon...whatever you call it...halfway??? With the guitar plugged into the Lo input and volume on the guitar at 10, bring the MV up off of zero. Strum a big cord. Does the light come on? If it does, does it hold red or flickering oh go ‘dead’. That light indicat3s when th circuit is triggered and also how strong the compression is working. Turn the MV up, hit the chord, watch the light, and listen to the compression. Keep on turn8ng up....at some point, you will hear the compression start not only to put a cap on the strength of the signal but to squash it...push the volume down from when the light was just flickering or staying on for short term. After this squash and as you hold the chord, you will hear the signal growing stronger...swelling back to what will be full strength. Turn the channel gain up when you are into this squashing area.....everything interacts. When you get the amp to doing this, then start pulling the compression out of the circuit bit by bit and observe what happens. Then, turn that Compression control to the positive side and put an ear on what happens. You can use single notes or power fifths for this...big, strong and totally articulate. This setting will let one work on the fine points if one wants to because mistakes in timing and technique will be more noticeable. If the compression circuit works this way, then it is in good order. One can run the MV maybe halfway or less and with and run the channel volume to pleasure to get a clean signal. Then, one can find the pint at High the compression circuit can give you singing clean sustain.
    I always ran the Multifilter above halfway....you can hear harmonic content increase as you turn this magic dial. The fellow at MOog knew what he was doing. The parametric eq is handy. You can scoop mids for the BF thing, push mids for tweeds. Very versatile amp.....it can go different places. Modern modelers are quicker I; their versatility, but I haven’t heard them sound as good as a L L5/7/9/11 amp.

Ex-riverman likes this.
  13. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

Thank you!

Wally likes this.
  14. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

It works exactly the way you said it would.

Wally likes this.
  15. Wally

Thanks, I needed to hear that. The years are mounting up and the RAM is sketchy at times, but I got to know that amp pretty well.
    I have a copy of the manual if you would want one...iirc.

Ex-riverman likes this.
  16. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

Yes! I’ve been trying to find the manual. That’d be great.
    The amp really does sound amazing. My only amp experience is with a Vox AC15, Roland JC 22, and Monoprice 5w.
    Thanks again.

17. Wally

PM me with contact info.

CoyotesGator likes this.
  18. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Meister

Looking for info on my latest acquisition, I stumble on this thread. Great !
    I just got a L5 at a yard sale this afternoon. $50 Canadian ! WOA ! Didn't really know what I was buying. It needs a good cleanup. Power switch has been changed.

I can give you visuals on OEM speakers, because it seem mine hasn't been tampered with.

Yep, square magnets.

Speakers.jpg
    Numbers on the magnet

Speaker-ID.jpg
    Reverb

Reverb.jpg
    Still has the service envelope stuck inside the cab. Empty though.

Service.jpg

Achat 27 juillet 2019.jpg

19. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Meister

BB KING.jpg

studio likes this.
  20. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Meister

More on controls.

Multifilter acts like a gain knob. For now ...

Frequency knob is like a manual wah. Pretty interesting feature. The more you use the EQ (bass/midrange/treble), the more effect it has on the frequency knob. If all EQ is at noon, the frequency knob provides no perceptible change.

Just like a tube amp, when volume is cranked it really saturates the tone. I'd have to get the amp outside to crank the master. I think all the fauna in a few km around would run for their lives, not counting neighbors. Inside at 2, you can't hear a human voice.

If master is cranked and volume controlled, it is unbelievably clean AND loud, hence the Twin or Super Reverb comparisons I guess (I never played either).

I think you could dial ANY tone you'd want on this amp. I'll try to replicate the ones I like on my other amps, then I might start to feel how to work it out. It is so ... complete as an amp, I feel like it's the ultimate modeler.

40 years of DNA to clean.

Nettoyage.jpg

Nice attention to details, with dust seals on knobs.

Détails boutons.jpg

More later ...

Ex-riverman likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.