NAD: Kantana 100

Leonardocoate

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
My son got it at an estate sale for $50. He didn't like it so he gave it to me. I was pretty excited because they are suppose to be nice amps and the price was right. It's not bad but not great. The amp selection is simple enough and the amps don't sound bad. The clean amp doesn't have a lot of head room unless you use the clean boost. It's plain sounding if that makes any sense. Nothing makes me say wow! I did notice that it sounds exactly the same coming through my monitors which could indicate that the speaker is not a guitar amp speaker but hifi speaker instead. That could explain the lack of nuance. The effects do sound nice but require a road map. I do like the power scaling feature. If only they could figure out how to put that on a tube amp. For my needs the 50 would work just fine or maybe just the head. I might trade for a Blues Cube

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
The Katana software gives you much more control over the amp and its effects.
I know some don't like to fiddle with many options through an application on a computer.
You can just spend an afternoon exploring the settings and create a bunch of profiles.
Then, you can add your favorite 4 to the buttons on the amp and easily switch between them from the amp.

Here is a link to the BOSS Katana page, pick the amp you have and go to Updates and Drivers.
You will find the USB driver and the Editor there.

There are a lot of videos on Youtube on how to use the BOSS Tone Studio.

I went for the Katana Artist as I wanted front-facing controls and that Waza speaker.
The Katana Artist sounds nothing like a standard Katana.

I also picked up a BOSS Nextone Special which also has a Waza speaker in it.

20220305_140608536_iOS.jpg 20220313_200503271_iOS.jpg

Last edited:

Blrfl

Tele-Afflicted
I did notice that it sounds exactly the same coming through my monitors which could indicate that the speaker is not a guitar amp speaker but hifi speaker instead.

That says Roland has a good handle on the properties of the speaker and cabinet and can replicate them on the line out. When I run the output of my (other) modeler into the effects return on my Blues Cube, what comes out is pretty close to what I hear in the headphones.

telemaster03

Tele-Holic
I've not played through one but I watched and heard a clip of a local guitarist playing through one the other day, I thought it sounded a little like the old Rockman headphone amps.

Last edited:

Leonardocoate

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
The Katana software gives you much more control over the amp and its effects.
I know some don't like to fiddle with many options through an application on a computer.
You can just spend an afternoon exploring the settings and create a bunch of profiles.
Then, you can add your favorite 4 to the buttons on the amp and easily switch between them from the amp.

Here is a link to the BOSS Katana page, pick the amp you have and go to Updates and Drivers.
You will find the USB driver and the Editor there.

There are a lot of videos on Youtube on how to use the BOSS Tone Studio.

I went for the Katana Artist as I wanted front-facing controls and that Waza speaker.
The Katana Artist sounds nothing like a standard Katana.

I also picked up a BOSS Nextone Special which also has a Waza speaker in it.

View attachment 992296 View attachment 992297
I have tried to use the program but no luck. It says to load drivers. I follow all instructions but no luck. By the way I like the idea of getting the artist version. The waza speaker and front panel sound could work for me

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
I have tried to use the program but no luck. It says to load drivers. I follow all instructions but no luck. By the way I like the idea of getting the artist version. The waza speaker and front panel sound could work for me

Are you sure the USB driver is properly loaded? Even as a computer guy, I found BOSS's instructions and just the cumbersome nature of their install somewhat confusing.

You really, really need to get a computer hooked up to that amp to use 75% of it's features. With the stock setup, you get five amps (five variations with MK II), and six pre-selected pedals. But with a computer hooked up, you can get around 30 different amps, 66 pedal choices with every parameter tuneable, multiple Graphic EQ's, additional settings like presence on the amp, etc.

You should update the firmware if it needs it. That adds effects and features. You can / should install the so-called "sneaky amps". That gives you over 30 amp models total (although some are a bit repetitive like "Twin" and "Bright Twin". You can even install the optional 3rd Party manager and use that instead of the Boss Tone Studio... that software will let you use patches from the other BOSS devices and get access to many, many tonz for various songs, all pre-done.

Leonardocoate

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Are you sure the USB driver is properly loaded? Even as a computer guy, I found BOSS's instructions and just the cumbersome nature of their install somewhat confusing.

You really, really need to get a computer hooked up to that amp to use 75% of it's features. With the stock setup, you get five amps (five variations with MK II), and six pre-selected pedals. But with a computer hooked up, you can get around 30 different amps, 66 pedal choices with every parameter tuneable, multiple Graphic EQ's, additional settings like presence on the amp, etc.

You should update the firmware if it needs it. That adds effects and features. You can / should install the so-called "sneaky amps". That gives you over 30 amp models total (although some are a bit repetitive like "Twin" and "Bright Twin". You can even install the optional 3rd Party manager and use that instead of the Boss Tone Studio... that software will let you use patches from the other BOSS devices and get access to many, many tonz for various songs, all pre-done.
I will try again when I get back in town. I don’t consider myself a computer guy but not a total loss. I know I’m not doing something quite right.

NiceTele

Tele-Afflicted
My son got it at an estate sale for $50. He didn't like it so he gave it to me. I was pretty excited because they are suppose to be nice amps and the price was right. It's not bad but not great. The amp selection is simple enough and the amps don't sound bad. The clean amp doesn't have a lot of head room unless you use the clean boost. It's plain sounding if that makes any sense. Nothing makes me say wow! I did notice that it sounds exactly the same coming through my monitors which could indicate that the speaker is not a guitar amp speaker but hifi speaker instead. That could explain the lack of nuance. The effects do sound nice but require a road map. I do like the power scaling feature. If only they could figure out how to put that on a tube amp. For my needs the 50 would work just fine or maybe just the head. I might trade for a Blues Cube
I had one for a little while, and they're OK but I kept going back to my Kat 50 which I thought sounded better with pedals.

Jbnaxx

Tele-Holic
I have a Katana MkII head and it is a very good all-purpose tool. I use it mostly on the clean channel with pedals for dirt. I have been very surprised at how well it takes pedals…. I thought digital is not supposed to do that??
Getting the Tone Studio software working and accessing the global EQ is a game changer on the Kat.
It’s not the best sounding amp in the world, but it could well be the most useful…. I use mine alot.

Leonardocoate

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I have a Katana MkII head and it is a very good all-purpose tool. I use it mostly on the clean channel with pedals for dirt. I have been very surprised at how well it takes pedals…. I thought digital is not supposed to do that??
Getting the Tone Studio software working and accessing the global EQ is a game changer on the Kat.
It’s not the best sounding amp in the world, but it could well be the most useful…. I use mine alot.
I will have to try it with pedals. That does seem counterintuitive. I’m almost at my wits end on getting tone studio to work

Jbnaxx

Tele-Holic
I found a step by step procedure somewhere….. can’t remember if it was Boss website or what. I do remember nothing will work until the amp is loaded with current software version.
Look around on the web for some help.

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I will have to try it with pedals. That does seem counterintuitive. I’m almost at my wits end on getting tone studio to work
Register the Amp on the Boss website. I have had pretty good dealings with Boss with regard to issues.
You have to have a registered product though to get through the support process.

Make sure you are loading the correct USB driver for your amp, they are specific. I have a BOSS Katana Artist and a BOSS Nextone Special and both take a different USB driver and have different versions of Tone Studio.

The amp will not connect without the correct USB driver. Do you have an original Katana 100 or a Katana 100 MKII?

Katana 100 Drivers and Updates

Katana 100MKII Drivers and Updates