Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
Drove past a backyard sale today; wouldn’t have stopped (I mean, I already have a backyard, so why would I buy another one?) but I saw an acoustic guitar case near the gate and thought, “Maybe…just maybe…”

Stopped in.
No guitars.
He said he had amps in the garage/shed.
A bunch of crap, except…

96C9B689-4697-487F-97C6-08DABF4333A1.jpeg
14856DF1-A167-4D01-9DA2-2A8B1E626B9E.jpeg
768B2F97-5805-47F6-990B-7E57AD95082B.jpeg

A solid-state 196? Kalamazoo Model 4.
The tube-version Model 1 and Model 2 are universally held in high esteem for harp players, but the Model 4 has some fans out there.

Ok, not anything fantabulous, but something interesting at least. Ran to my house a few blocks away and grabbed my Epiphone ‘57-reissue Les Paul and a cable and went back to check it out.

Volume is very low, but the tremolo worked great and tone pot had a nice wide sweep.

Got him to go down from “$40 FIRM” to $25. Possibly overpaid, considering the volume isn’t even to bedroom level, but I’m feeling froggy and thought I’d jump.

Gonna crack it open and see if there’s anything I can fix—probably/hopefully just needs a good de-ox-it. If it needs anything more, I have a good tech on tap and he should get it up and running to the best level it can run.

So I had a Happy NAD today.

Last edited:

gridlock

Poster Extraordinaire
Congratulations!

Cool, my father bought me a Kalamazoo Model-1 when I was a kid. My first amp. I used that little amp in a talent show in front of the entire grade school, with my brother on drums, and me on guitar.

Last edited: