NAD... idi, vidi, vinci...

lil scotty

Tele-Holic
Mike Campbell’s live amp rig. I think of him every time “the excelsior” comes up. Enjoy!
824E03E2-BCAA-46AA-8756-F4B8F4C38F13.jpeg

marshman

Poster Extraordinaire
I got my first EXY early on and really loved it, but, as the internet noted, the stock speaker is kinda 'honky'. So I found a vintage repaired P15 and it sounded much better. actor in some very nice RCA 6V6GTs and a GE12AY7 in V1 and the tone is heavenly. Great for the 'edge-of-breakup' stuff. Weight is about the same.

A few weeks later another one turned up on my local CL I and I grabbed it up. Hoping it might make a nice coffee-house acoustic bass amp, I installed a set of JJ 6V6S and JJ12AY7 and 12AX7 and an ALTEC 15. MUCH heavier but it is a good amp for backing acoustic guitar players. Keeping my eye out for a Jensen Neo 15!

I don't know if the 'tone switch mod' will really ultimately alter the value significantly, but I haven't needed it. Of course, I don't gig on guitar, so that's something to be considered.

Enjoy it, those are gems.

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
Awesome!

What’s the difference between the pro and regular version?

After seeing the thread by @Midgetje94 i started looking at these and found a pro close by for a decent price

These threads have me seriously thinking

Edit: I should have read the thread, I guess it’s an upgraded speaker

Last edited:

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
Awesome!

What’s the difference between the pro and regular version?

After seeing the thread by @Midgetje94 i started looking at these and found a pro close by for a decent price

These threads have me seriously thinking

honestly I have no real clue. I actually didn’t even know about it until I saw this one in the local shop

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
And how does your accordion sound w/ this bad mofo? :p

I wonder why they chose to put that? I saw it and had to chuckle. But I play ukulele and learning mandolin as well. Wonder how those would sound through the accordion channel?

RoscoeElegante

Friend of Leo's
I wonder why they chose to put that? I saw it and had to chuckle. But I play ukulele and learning mandolin as well. Wonder how those would sound through the accordion channel?

They were going for a honky, early-/mid-'50s vibe. A lot of those amps--the Maestro, Noble, Gibson's GA-85, etc.--had that accordion input jack. Slightly different values and thus tones. I always just use the Guitar input on my Excelsior and adjust to taste....

T-Bone

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Huge score! I’ve owned two. Sold the first. Regretted it, so bought another. Sold the second one too. Regret it again. 15” speaker and three different tone stacks (via inputs) .

if you didn’t already know, the tone switch can be placed in the middle, between the two settings on the switch.

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
Not unique, rather out of fashion. Here's a '52 Bassman.
View attachment 919627
Yeah there’s some other Valco 50’s models that come to mind, One I think had oval speakers. I was going to build my own first amp project like that with plans to even use electrical conduit between both. Did I hear that this amp went by the name of Excelsior? EDIT-0:44, and probably more

Now each time before you play, You won’t be able to escape saying that! What am I talking about you probably already do, I definitely would! I’m super serial0us!

Last edited:

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
I love this it reminds me of my Gal, When she’s being playful I will ask a question and she will Say no while nodding her head yes, or vice versa, or do both, so sometimes the gesture can resemble one of those little dog figures that people used to have in the rear window deck of their car.