NAD ! I finally got a Pignose !

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by RB522, Oct 22, 2019.

1. RB522

RB522 Tele-Meister

Ok, so maybe not the most high end amp, but I've wanted one of these for the past 25 years. I've played them before but just never got around to buying one for myself. Well, today my lovely wife gave me my birthday present, and it's the little Pignose I've always wanted. I'm so geeked right now ! Thanks honey !

2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I keep hearing good things about them but I forget to keep on the lookout for a deal on one.
    Congrats, that's very thoughtful of your wife to treat you with one. Happy Birthday too.

Pasta Player and RB522 like this.
  3. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Congratulations—I love my little Pignise...I’ve heard they’re a one-trick pony, but man, it’s a heckuva trick!

Go New Amp Day!
    GO-NAD!

Wait...

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Congratulations, and Happy Birthday!
    I had one when I was a teenager.
    Fun stuff!

5. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

Love mine and had a few. I’ve run thru it into my main amp a few times. So mean sounding it’ll scare your mother in law

Pasta Player, RB522 and Urshurak776 like this.
  6. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

I had one back in the 70s and enjoyed it a lot. Not sure why I let it go, actually. I used it as a preamp on my bigger amp, and by itself, I liked to keep the cabinet open for a brighter sound.

7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I remember when those first came out. It was right in the middle of the period of walls of amps and speakers......Kustom 3X15s, Marshall 8X12 stacks, half a dozen Acoustics, etc. The Pignose came along and everyone said, "WHA???????" Fast forward to today and nearly all of us have come to our senses, and appreciate the wisdom of smaller gigging amps and even smaller home practice amps. Can they still be battery-powered? Now you can go out busking! ;)

8. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

I've always wanted one, never got one. Congrats!

Pasta Player, RB522 and Obsessed like this.
  9. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Holic

Been wanting to get one for both guitar and harmonica. Enjoy!

10. Johnkir64

Johnkir64 TDPRI Member

Got a 7-100. Solid little practice amp. Battery life is surprising.

11. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

I bought one a couple of months ago. It's a fun little amp.

I've found that putting a buffered pedal in front of it improves its sound and increases its volume, even when the pedal is turned off.

12. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Very Cool Amp … this was recorded using a Pignose amp .

tintag27, Pasta Player and RB522 like this.
  13. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic

Supposedly, when Clapton entered the studio to begin recording what became the Layla album, he came with two amps: a silverface Champ and a Pignose.

Tom Dowd, who’d also produced Cream, was shocked.

14. Pasta Player

Pasta Player Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Congrats on the Pignose! Throw a delay pedal into the mix and enjoy. (The very inexpensive Donner “Yellow Fall” delay pedal works very well ‘round here… with the Pignose, The Dwarf and the Lectrosonics Mouse & Maxi-Mouse portable amps). Toneful goodness.

For those possibly interested in having a Pignose... I'll have a few *modified versions to let go of later this year.

*Different power sources to replace the "leaky battery syndrome" and some with added "speaker-out" jacks - for using other speaker configs.;)

Obsessed, thunderbyrd and RB522 like this.
  15. John E

John E Tele-Afflicted

I've been jonesin' for a G40V for years. Just never pulled the trigger.

Pasta Player, radiocaster and RB522 like this.
  16. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Had one in the 70s tho i never liked it. Zappa sure did tho, as he recorded some of his stuff with them. One a side note, interesting story about mine and the legendary GC customer service. (tongue in cheek) I bought mine at the original GC when they weren't a chain, across the street from where the original hollywood store is now. They were the scammingest place i have ever had the displeasure to deal with. When i bought my pig i walked up to the counter and the person who wrote it up opened the box and pulled the power supply out and asked "do you want this too?" and quoted me an extra $7 or something around there for the wall wart ! This is the wall wart that comes with the thing. I believe i even called the factory and asked and was told yes, it's included with the amp. Which of course was obvious being it was in the sealed box. But since GC didn't see it this way and wouldn't budge i called to be sure. Anyways, bought the amp and wall wart and went home and called a local newspaper that had a consumer section that helped consumers who've been screwed by contacting the retailer and confronting them, then do a write up in the newspaper. Long story short, GC called me and offered to refund me for the wall wart.

Anyways, IMO GC today is a GOOD store as CS goes. Nothing but good things to say from me. But years ago if u recall they were legendary for bad customer relations. Once the company became a major chain of course they had to rectify that or sink. They chose the former thankfully.

Pasta Player, Wildcard_35 and RB522 like this.
  17. powerwagonjohn

powerwagonjohn Tele-Meister

I used to walk around the lake with my 69 SG Std. over one shoulder and the Pignose over the other shoulder. That was before strap locks too, I kept a hand on my SG at all times! Of course that was in the summer but not the summer of love! My wife bought my second one at an estate sale last year for $5.00. Enjoy, they are fun little amps and great for traveling.
    Thanks John

Pasta Player, RB522 and Tommy Biggs like this.
  18. fender4life

LOL! Thats what i bought mine for ! Back in the 70s a friend and I used to go to this lake and camp now and then and i have a original 72 thinline and pignose and we'd go out to the dam at nite and drink beer and i'd be wailing away on my tele and pig ! I never thought back then i'd be at the age i am now and still rockin. I don't do that kinda stuff any more tho.....wish i still had that degree of enthusiasm. The good ol days....

Pasta Player, Wildcard_35 and RB522 like this.
  19. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

20. fender4life

There were also a few full size pignose amps back in the 80s. A tube model and a couple SS models. I had one of the SS combos called the "crossmix". For just overdriven tones it was great. Just not a great for cleans or cleaning up via vol pot as i recall. But the OD tones were fatter than any tube amp i've ever owned and sounded quite good. I bought one after seeing a cover band with 2 guitar players using them and getting some amazing tones out of em. really ripping fat ZZ top tones at times.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.