NAD- I’ve been after this one for years.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Yep. This exact one. Seller didn’t want to sell it. I’ve tried to buy it several times. I’ve played other DC-5 amps and they were very good, but this one has a little extra sugar on top. Not sure what it is, but it just sounds sweeter.

I sold an amp yesterday, and was kind of on the prowl to replace it, but wasn’t in a hurry, and wasn’t sure what I’d end up with. On a whim I shot my pal a text that just said “You still got the Mesa head?” And he shot back “Yeah. You still wanna buy it?” So a deal was made and I drove an hour south and picked it up this afternoon.

55A684F3-0FF2-4FE3-BB20-A1A89E6BE59F.jpeg

Preliminary findings are that it’s been sitting for a little bit. Needs some of the pots sprayed, and could use a good cleaning overall. But oh brother is it tasty sounding.

rpavich123

TDPRI Member
Yep. This exact one. Seller didn’t want to sell it. I’ve tried to buy it several times. I’ve played other DC-5 amps and they were very good, but this one has a little extra sugar on top. Not sure what it is, but it just sounds sweeter.

I sold an amp yesterday, and was kind of on the prowl to replace it, but wasn’t in a hurry, and wasn’t sure what I’d end up with. On a whim I shot my pal a text that just said “You still got the Mesa head?” And he shot back “Yeah. You still wanna buy it?” So a deal was made and I drove an hour south and picked it up this afternoon.

View attachment 970640

Preliminary findings are that it’s been sitting for a little bit. Needs some of the pots sprayed, and could use a good cleaning overall. But oh brother is it tasty sounding.
Wow...I haven't seen one of those in many many years..I lusted over them back in the day!

t-ray

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Nice! I wonder if you can answer a question I have. I own a Lonestar Special. Like yours, my Lonestar has gain, master and output level (among other controls). What does the output control do? Is it an attenuator? What if I crank the gain and master, and use the output to lower the overall volume? Would that cause a problem? The manual does not explain this.

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
I love chasing gear! Its like going to TJ Maxx or Marshalls, you never know what you're going to find, if anything. But when you finally find the one you've been searching for it makes for a special feeling of accomplishment.

Enjoy the new baby and play it loud!

Deeve

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Absent the beefy speaker (and extra cabinet wood), what does one of these bad boys actually weigh?

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
Nice! I wonder if you can answer a question I have. I own a Lonestar Special. Like yours, my Lonestar has gain, master and output level (among other controls). What does the output control do? Is it an attenuator? What if I crank the gain and master, and use the output to lower the overall volume? Would that cause a problem? The manual does not explain this.

No experience with this amp but usually Gain is the preamp gain, output will be the output stage gain (volume) and the 'master' will post pre-amp and control the gain (volume) going into the output stage.

There's no 'problem' setting these however you like, one will affect the other though, usually a balance between the 3 will give you the best tones

Think of it as pre-amp drive, pre-amp volume and power amp volume.

gridlock

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Congratulations, 6L6 Mesa’s are great. Wondering what speakers you’re running through it?

I’ve owned quite a few Mesa’s over the years. I purchased a Mesa Mark III a few months ago and I’m really liking it.

Last edited:

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Congratulations, 6L6 Mesa’s are great. Wondering what speakers you’re running through it?

I’ve owned quite a few Mesa’s over the years. I purchased a Mesa Mark III a few months ago and I’m really liking it.
I’m on the hunt presently for an 8 ohm speaker for my 1x12 cab. This head doesn’t have a 16 ohm output. Hoping for a plain old celestion G12-75.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I don’t know the technical answer to that question, but I use it as an overall master volume. So you can set the clean however you want, set the dirty however you want, and then control overall volume with the output master. I don’t think you can hurt the amp by using the controls, it wouldn’t worry me.

warrent

Friend of Leo's
Gain sets the gain, the master allows you to balance the levels between channels and also sets the level for the send in the effects loop, and the level for recording output (DC5). the Output controls the final volume and the return level in the fx loop.
Two things: If you set the master too high, say above 2 o'clock you can overdrive anything in the effects loop. In the Lonestar if you set fx loop to bypass, the output control doesn't work.

Edgar Allan Presley

Friend of Leo's

View attachment 970640

Cool amp. Congrats!

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Ime, Mesa writes the best owner’s manual in the business. Every Mesa Boogie owner should have a copy of the manual for their amp. It eliminates all wondering, ime.
congrats, @Jakedog.