1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NAD, Humbolt Hotrod Blues Jr III :)

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by August_West, Apr 9, 2014.

1. August_West

August_West Tele-Meister

I pulled the trigger on a new Humbolt Hotrod Blues Jr. III today! I have been toying with the idea of a Blues Jr a couple of years now, and I'm glad I finally did it! I've put her thru the paces, and I'm very happy with the tone. I've been playing thru a Mesa 50W single rectifier that sits on a 4X12 cabinet. My Mesa is sort of the holy grail for me, and I'm surprised at how much I like the B-Jr! In fact, I'll say the Humbolt Hotrod BJRIII has more bite and sparkle, and overall I like the clean better than my Mesa! Plus, I wont freak people out if I show up at the open mic coffee house gigs carrying the BJR. Lugging the Mesa around kills my back..... I haven't set up my OD pedal, but I have been able to get some nice dirty sounds by tweaking the knobs. For now, I'm stoked!! :)

2. TimWaldvogel

TimWaldvogel TDPRI Member

Sweet man, I am anything but a closed back cabinet kind of guy, so I would personally say the blues jr will kill the tone of your Mesa !
    Too scooped in the midrange for me, in closed back cabs.
    I love my Blues Jr 3 ! I just put a reconed Vintage Alnico magnavox (by jensen) speaker in my amp.
    I also replaced the preamp tubes with electro harmonix and the power tubes with JJ's. I personally don't love the treble control on my amp, so I turn it down to about 2-4.

I usually get the lows and midrange right with my amp then use my pedals to shape the high end of my overdrive tone.

But in the studio I could literally just crank this thing and be happy with the pushed sound

It's not about me; but about serving everybody else around me, and Loving them as God loves me.

3. August_West

August_West Tele-Meister

I hadn't thought about that angle, but I think you're on to something. The Blues Jr. has more sparkle & clarity. That said, the Mesa has bone jarring balls, especially in the OD. 50W on a half stack, in my front bedroom, is outrageous overkill. Measuring sweetness of tone & clarity, the BJR wins! The Fender also has a real bite.... Thanks for your comments. I'm looking forward to dialing her in :)

4. TimWaldvogel

TimWaldvogel TDPRI Member

I personally wouldn't mind another blues jr with a different speaker (higher way the speaker) like yours to run a stereo rig with
    Amazingly light and actually one of the few amps practical enough for stereo rigs

It's not about me; but about serving everybody else around me, and Loving them as God loves me.

5. steveneddy

steveneddy Tele-Meister

I want one of those simply for my collection.

I believe THAT is going to be one of the collectibles that you will WANT to have in 30 years.

6. August_West

August_West Tele-Meister

Cool! I had looked at a Blues Jr. III at GC last week, then decided to try my local music store to see what they had. The saleswoman was very nice, and pointed out this was the Humbolt model but I didn't know enough to know there was a difference. Is the speaker or grill made of hemp? I'm thinking about dumping the Mesa half stack (which I will probably regret) because it takes up so much space & is impossible to lug around. I played the BJr about an hour this morning and there is definitely some sparkle and shimmer going on, even at low volumes. This morning it was all strat time (last night was all tele), and my strat has never sounded more like a strat! Amazing! :)

7. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

You bought the best version there was. When I had my blues junior I had the C.Rex speaker and JJs in there before PGS even did the Humboldt line. Really cool sounds from that thing. Played a lot of jazz,country and motown on it.

8. Kyluckyman

Kyluckyman Tele-Holic

Congratulations! I was like you-on the fence for a couple of years!!!

9. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

post a pic. I never much thought of the blues jr until this came out.
    \I absolutely love em! want one too...

10. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Doctor of Teleocity

+1, although I bought mine from PGS this year. I ended up selling my NOS laquered tweed Blues Jr (that I'd had for six years) a couple of weeks ago because I wasn't using it at all any more. The Humboldt Hot Rod simply put it to shame.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.