NAD: Hughes & Kettner Grandmeister

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by skerwo, Dec 3, 2013.

1. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

Today arrived my new Hughes & Kettner Grandmeister. It´s a 4 EL 84 head with 36 watts. 4 channels, every setting you like is programmable as a preset. Also the EQ settings, the settings of the power amp (possible is 36, 18, 5 or 1 watt).

First two hours I played with the clean and crunch channel. These two could already be enough for me. Crunch channel with boost is a real hardrocking sound, more in the Marshall way.

First impression of the lead channel is also good, but I have to spend some more time for it. Ultra channel: I don´t need it, it´s for the real bad bad guys with much longer hairs than mine :lol:.

This amp is so versatile, unbelievable. You can store 128 presets. It´s got a fx section onboard (reverb, delay, chorus, flanger, phaser, tremolo). Tap tempo for the delay is possible with the H&K midiboard.

Next week I take it to rehearsal. If it cuts well through the mix it could be my ready for everything weapon.

Here in Germany are a lot of discussions about the fizzy sound around the whole Tubemeister / Grandmeister series. So what I learned that it has a lot to do with the cabinet and speaker. I don´t like the Celestion v30 but it´s the serial speaker in the H&K cabinets. So I choose a cabinet with an Eminence Cannabis Rex and for my first impression this speaker matches very well with the Grandmeister because it´s a little bit darker sounding. And it also works very well for hardrocking tones and overdriven lead sounds (Eminence recommends it for Country, Jazz, Blues !?).

I will add more informations in the next weeks also about the fx section and its live use.

Attached Files:

2. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Congratulations. Hours of weekend tweeking! which is fun :)

As you said, the proof of any fizziness - or great tone - will be with the band, so do tell us about it - & how it handles LOUD CLEAN (the most difficult task for modern amps like such)

Do you use a closed back cabinet with the Rex? Interesting if so - especially if no tubbiness or boominess. I guess you could experiment with open/closed back

3. bob1234

bob1234 Tele-Afflicted

my god... I've never heard of this amp, so I did some youtubing... and I've never wanted an amp so bad in my life! haha What a great amp!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit: I really really really really really really really really really really really really want this amp! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

4. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

No matter, it´s absolutely new on the market since two months. And yes, I always wanted an amp like this one with its great flexibility.

5. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

Additional news:

From the fx section I already used the delay and it delivers everything I expect from a delay. Easy to dial in with three knobs. The reverb is also good for me but I´m not the real reverb expert. I like a little bit reverb that it sounds not so dry, and that´s enough for me.

I´m also curious about the Red Box DI. If it works good this would be great, no more miking, only one cable to the PA.

6. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

I´m using an open cabinet, closed 1x12 cabinets are mostly too boomy for me.

7. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

Update:

Yesterday I tried the Grandmeister through rehearsal. It sounds fantastic, cuts well through the mix and it´s very easy to use. I also tried the DI-out directly into the PA. It also works very fine and sounds really good, so no need to mic the amp.

I´m playing cover music from country, rock, blues, pop. Rock up to the classic hard rock thing like Deep Purple, no metal or something similar. The Grandmeister delivers really good sounds for each of these styles. For me the three channels clean, crunch and lead are more than enough, I don´t need and use the ultra channel. One amp that fits it all and easy to use with its programmable presets. No noticeable delay by switching the presets. I really love this amp and think it´s very well made for the players who want to go for a lot of styles. What I find out that it´s much more defined and punchy in overdriven sounds than my JTM 45 with the TC Nova System.

Well done, Mr Hughes and Mr Kettner.

8. J200george

J200george TDPRI Member

Does anyone know if you can use a Boss ES-8 via midi to call up any of the 128 presets? if so,... we have a seriously powerful case of gas coming my way....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.