NAD - Hopping off the carousel and focusing on playing

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tidalcast, Oct 18, 2019.

1. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I hope that when you change what you are listening to, you are changing to listen to something that you like as much as what you were listening to before.

I can't really picture making a conscious decision to change what I listen to. But then again, I have never really bought in to the idea that the guitar is such an important instrument, and a creator of new sounds. It's just a guitar, to me. I like the way it sounds, and I have learned to play it that way. Learning all new ways to play the guitar? that sounds scary and of dubious value to an old dog like me!

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I suspect gear, tone and playing are all unique evolutions for everyone here. Even though it was fun going through the trials and tribulations of gear acquisition, it feels good to have that area stable and just focus on the music.

tidalcast likes this.
  3. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

holy crap someone on this site wanting to hear recordings...been posting em since day i joined..i thought gear sites were for those making music after all...

4. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

here is a recent pair..levels are getting there...have 36 done since accident..all ready to mix & master

elihu and RodeoTex like this.
  5. tidalcast

tidalcast Tele-Meister

Ask and ye shall receive! ;)
    91CED213-2530-40A8-B5A9-5B8DD5161F8F.jpeg

6. tidalcast

tidalcast Tele-Meister

We’ve been working to declutter my partner’s grandmother’s house in the wake of her passing, and finally sorting things in the attic that belonged to her late father before he passed a few years ago. I’d be lying if I said it provably hasn’t inspired me on the minimalist stance.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    2 Headed Goat and stratoman1 like this.
  7. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

Just thinking it probably would have been just as effective to get that Peavey Envoy fixed to keep and sell off the other stuff.

8. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

I have more nice equipment than I ever thought I would have. So I'm pretty happy. Two stereo rigs, two pedalboards with just the right amount of pedals, four on one, 5 on the other and 5 guitars, with number six on the way. Not only do I really not want any more, just getting that last guitar in here is going to require some rearranging. So I'm as set as i want to be and then some

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  9. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Holic

Now, that officially is a NAD post.

Congrats again, and have fun!!!

tidalcast likes this.
  10. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

Two amps: one since 1985, the other since 2010.

I do have a new Barber Gain Changer that is a game changer for me.

jhundt and tidalcast like this.
  11. tidalcast

tidalcast Tele-Meister

I tried a new reverb tank in it and it didn’t fix the problem; so the problem would have had someone going into the amp and at that point, just as cost effective to just replace it with someone brand new that I was already aware that I liked from previous experience, and that, as a bonus, has an acoustic amp built in for the occasions I get called on to play at church or open mics.

12. tidalcast

tidalcast Tele-Meister

Exactly! I’m even resisting the urge to add/swap anything on my board before my next gig(I’ve got a Joyo Ultimate Drive that I’m falling out of favor with) and just focusing on playing better with what I’ve got; currently it’s just an EQD Arrows and a Caline delay pedal on there, and I’m living on the crunch channel with my volume knob. I’m loving it.

Obsessed likes this.
  13. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I guess its time to be just a little honest. Some of the amps shared here would not be up to the task for me. They either are hard to dial in the right amount of response, or they disappear in a band setting. And, I found a lot of magic happens when you get the right amount of sustain, sparkle, clean, smooth distortion eq, etc - it informs your playing, and you start to intuitively play phrases and combinations from source material in your head. I re-learn the lesson when I try to borrow or use gear at friends' houses.

Work on your playing, and don't obsess on gear, but don't discount the importance of gear. Gear is as important as your fourth finger.

14. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I've stayed off that carousel, pretty much.

I bought my first-ever electric guitar at about the time I found TDPRI. I've read about all kinds of amps here, and I don't doubt that many of them are wonderful. I've been very lucky in that area. On only about my third amp purchase, I bought a used Peavey Classic 50 twin.

It's been enough for me. It sounds great at home, and it's plenty loud for any venue I'm likely to play, if I ever start playing out. The Fenderface amps I've read about might sound better, I don't doubt it, but all of them cost two or three times what I have in my Peavey.

I did buy another used Peavey, a Delta Blues, a year or so ago. It sounds good, too, I think it's pretty giggable, and I still don't have the price of a Princeton invested. I take turns playing them. Tone enough for me, no chasing.

Ricky D. and tidalcast like this.
  15. SlideGuy123

SlideGuy123 Tele-Meister

One main amp and a backup are all I have (or want). Not that I don’t enjoy the different sounds, but I need to play more, and the nuances of different amps are too much for my brain, most days.

ping-ping-clicka and tidalcast like this.
  16. tidalcast

tidalcast Tele-Meister

That’s some steady confidence in your choices! Congratulations. A Delta Blues popped up for a great price near me right after I bought this, and the temptation was so real. They’re killer amps.

17. tidalcast

tidalcast Tele-Meister

Same. This was there’s no decision factor beyond what channel I want to be on when I go to practice. It’s fab.

18. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

A great amp makes every guitar you own sound better. You can get a 5e3, or a Marshall 1974, or an AC30, or a BF Super Reverb, or the other iconic amp of your choice, no regrets.

19. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

Lately I've found myself plugging straight in to the amp, skipping the pedals and working the guitar controls more and varying my pick hand/attack more. PLAYING the guitar and amp, not just playing the guitar. It's harder, but its liberating.

I still like my 2 pedalboards, but NOT using them, relying on them, I feel, is making me a better player. Nothing to hide behind.

SlideGuy123 likes this.
  20. Jesse414

Jesse414 TDPRI Member

Yes totally agree I wasted alot trying to get cheaper stuff thinking it would sound close enuff to the expensive amp or guitar that I wanted. And now I have a pile of stuff and still don't have the few items I really wanted. So now I banned myself from buying cheaper stuff I save and only get the great stuff I wanted in the first place.

schmee likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.