NAD - Hopping off the carousel and focusing on playing

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tidalcast, Oct 18, 2019.

1. tidalcast

tidalcast Tele-Meister

So I’ve always been a tone chaser on a budget. Trying to find the perfect balance of lightweight, volume, and tone has been a game for me. But recently I realized what a money sink it’s been. I don’t always come out ahead on money when I resell an amp, and it takes a lot of focus away from just playing.

I’d bought a Peavey Envoy that showed up with a busted reverb, and previous to that, a Blackstar HT-5C. Decided to return the Peavey and trade in the Blackstar to finance a 50 watt Katana. Perfect for my needs, I’ve used one with the louder of the two drummers I play with before and it keeps up great. And hey, bonus, got one of the older ones new in box for 189.99. After trade in and return I came out like $50 ahead on everything.

Already told my fiancée/bandmate to give me a whack next time she sees me pulling my wallet out while I’m looking at an amp.

2. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I love gear as much as anybody ... But ...
    I have come to the conclusion that while any manner of gear may well enhance your playing experience, it won't make you a better player ... It may make you want to play more, which is great ...

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  3. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic

Um. chasing tone is a b1tch, I get that, but the ages old issue of GAS, good luck with that!:D

Jesse414 likes this.
  4. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

I'm just like you and trying to get to the same place, but...gear is fun...ya gotta admit it, lol.

I just wasted $85 on a speaker I hate. I'm going to lose money on the resale for sure. That's the frustrating stuff. Especially when money for gear is NOT a priority.

Jesse414 likes this.
  5. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Gearheading is its own hobby, separate from music making. For about 4-500 you can easily get gear that will sound great if you can play it great. Used MIM and a Katana, used PRS SE and a Peavey, that kind of rig.

That said, I'm as guilty of anyone of coveting new stuff and falling into the trap of "if only I had..." I have sworn off buying new guitars for one full year, but I'm not ready to say that about amps just yet.

Jesse414, rangercaster and tidalcast like this.
  6. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

"Tone is in the fingers."

If you have the wrong setup that's exactly where your tone will stay, in your fingers.

I've got one Stratocaster that's a real meat grinder. It's especially articulate. I've played Stratocasters from here to Bethesda. This one has something extra. But... it makes my fingers hurt quicker than anything else. I'd throw a setup at it except I don't want to lose that special something it has.

Good thing I don't need to buy amps. I build 'em. Build enough of 'em, they get better.

I'd think I'd reach a plateau, after all it's been four or five decades.

The last one was probably the best of its kind in the whole wide world. Still, there are a few things I'd like to try in the next one.

Jesse414, P Thought, Obsessed and 2 others like this.
  7. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

I'm getting ready to build a new computer, so I went off to a computer forum. The equivalent of tone-chasing over there is overclocking. "Yeah, I know the spreadsheets I crank out look the same to accounting, but the FEEL isn't there unless I've enabled PWM deep cycle PCI-16e transreflective wave enhanced RGB LED cooling".

And so on with many kinds of extracurricular activity. Getting a new amp is an opportunity to explore something new that is somewhat related to the activity of playing a guitar, but it's way easier to buy a new amp than to make a sudden improvement in your playing, no matter how much you pay.

8. tidalcast

tidalcast Tele-Meister

The irony is that with the money saved by not buying any more amps over the next year or two, I could probably drop some change on another good guitar!

stratoman1 likes this.
  9. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I just plain got bored with amps. I got to this point about 5 years ago, when I was playing in an old-man band doing 'classic rock' covers. That format was hard enough to take, but I thought at least it would get me out of the house, and I could play my gear.

I would use one of my Fender amps, usually a somewhat beefed-up Princeton Reverb. It is a very nice sounding amp. I never have to mess with the knobs, everything just stays at the same place.

The other guitar player used all kinds of different amps, including Peaveys of all descriptions, all with boost channels and always with at least one or more Tube Screamers. I thought his tone was just awful, all the time. But the audience (mostly old enough to remember the songs) loved it! He'd be playing all-lead-all-the-time, while I would be looking for the essence of the song, trying to make some sweet sounds to counteract the buzz-saw.

The result: nobody ever heard or noticed my nice amp. This did not hurt my feelings, after all the other guitar player is one of my very best long-time friends, and he knows how to play to a crowd. But it did make me realize that the amp is not really that important to most people.

These days I think a guy should just get one decent amp and play it. Preferably - for my tastes - one of those "one-trick pony" amps. Kind of like having one good, faithful dog who will go with you anywhere and will always be true and faithful. The longer you are together, the deeper it grows.

10. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Meister

the pursuit of the holy grail,
    always just out of reach glowing
    the illusion of perfection

schmee likes this.
  11. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I hear you man. I have spent far more money chasing tone by buying compromises than if I had simply bought that boutique or expensive vintage amp in the first place. Far far more. It's frustrating to look back on.
    Ditto for trying to "save weight". I have hurt my back far more bending over a workbench building custom amps.
    If I had just kept my Super Reverb for big gigs I would have saved a ton. And still gear for outdoor events etc is not lightweight. If you are careful how you do it, even old guys can handle that big amp now and then.
    20 years ago I should have simply bought a BF Vibroverb to go with my BFDR.

12. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

cured it

jtm45
    jtm50
    jmp50
    Silver Super
    BF Super
    Reverb pro

all gone over, tweeked to preference, set up to hit just right at live band/studio recording situation level. Haven't touched a knob or chased a thing since..
    the rotation for inspiration...is endless..

oh & to pull flavors of em all off live...Marshall VM 2266 kt 66...with the matching 425a cab..

jhundt and Les Paul lover like this.
  13. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

Speaking for myself, I wish I bought my dream amp
    All the wasted time and money...ugh. If I just put that money into a dream amp.

schmee likes this.
  14. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Meister

Yes congrats ! It’s easy to get into this mindset and the five watt world channel on YouTube explains it a lot. I have bought so many pedals and crap over the years and it would feel like progress to me but it wasn’t doing anything for my playing. When I did play I would spend all the time just twisting knobs, changing sounds, etc. I wasn’t playing music or getting better at the guitar. I would always feel like ohh once I find this sound I will be able to practice that and will want to play more. Now I just plug straight into the amp and just play the guitar again and I’m progressing at a way better rate now that I try to think about music more and gear less

tidalcast and DLReed like this.
  15. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Holic

It's easy to get distracted, but you can also end up in a nice place.

I've got 5 great amps, I alternate between them all and really enjoy them all. I might actually sell one as it's non master volume 5w..... and it's a little impractical for my purposes. (I get better volume control with my 15, 30 and 50w amps).

Having these few great amps hasn't killed my curiosity, but it's killed all desires to acquire more amps. I have all the great tones i want. It's nice place to be.

Same with guitars.

Has it killed my GAS...??
    Nope. It's just redirected it towards guitar playing utilities.
    Proper pedal board, proper power supplies, valves, some pedals....

I think it's a disease. My brain has to be busy with the next thing. Wether it's a bath mixer tap or an OD, I've got to think about the next thing......:confused:

And now, back to the main thing! Congrats on your new amp! May it inspire you for many years!!!!

Oh and pics or you know.... didn't happen.... ;)

tidalcast likes this.
  16. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Holic

Orange RV50
    Orange R30
    Orange AD15
    Orange AD5
    Genz Benz Black Pearl 30

Different amp list here, but same thing. It feels good. Really good.

17. jhundt

well let us hear some recordings!

18. jhundt

pedal boards, pedals, power supplies, amps, guitars... all are fodder for the bonfire of the vanities.

I worked with an old Italian guy. Well he seemed old, but I am now older than he was then. He joked at my fascination with collecting guitars, amps, books, etc. He would just grin and shake his head, and say "the day you die, your family will put a dumpster in front of the house and throw all this **** away".

19. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Meister

Think I've finally reached that what's the point stage. My gear far outweighs my ability so the only improvement I can make is me.

20. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Meister

A good "unblocker" is to change up what I'm listening to.

Making sure I'm listening the the whole music and not just the guitar playing helps as much as getting a new sound.

YMMV.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

jhundt likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.