NAD - Hellhound on my trail

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tidalcast, May 9, 2021.

1. tidalcast

tidalcast Tele-Meister

I may or may not have been enjoying myself the other day, thinking about guitar tone, and found this via Guitar Center. I've been liking my Quilter 101 Mini Reverb but not LOVING it, and since my middle name is Impulsive, I said "Screw it" and pulled out my credit card after getting the nod from my wife/bandmate, and two days later it arrived!

First problem: The reverb isn't working. I called the store and asked them if I'd missed that in the original listing(honest question, as it was late in the evening and I was about to turn in when I bought it), turns out they'd known there was a reverb problem and forgot to mention it in the listing...manager refunded me 2 bills for the trouble and tech fees. Score!

Second problem: I'm going to have a hard time finding another amp I like as much as this one. I got it Friday, brought it to a session Saturday evening, and ended up going back and recutting a couple guitar parts with it that I'd cut with the engineer's Vox AC15 at a previous session(even he was like, "Yeah I might like this better than the Vox...dammit."). I've never really gotten what folks meant about touch sensitivity with a tube amp vs. solid state, as I've become pretty adept at rolling volume on and off, and I've played a lot of really good SS amps, but this thing's out of this world. I can absolutely see cutting myself down to just my delays or the delays plus a boost and being really happy with this.

Third problem: I kind of want a second one as a backup...

hellhound.jpg

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Congrats!

I've got one, also.

They are very cool amps

tidalcast likes this.
  3. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Afflicted

I'm not at all familiar with this amp, but the name alone might be worth the price.

I have to ask - What does the "Schizo" button do?

tidalcast and Fretting out like this.
  4. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I bet it takes you from on screen Joan Crawford into Mommie dearest zone

cat dude, blowtorch and tidalcast like this.
  5. tidalcast

tidalcast Tele-Meister

In the UK position it emphasizes upper midrange to give the amp more of a British character. Does a really good impression of one too for a 6L6 amp.

Reverend didn't make a ton of amps; I want to say there are 1,000 Hellhounds out there and a few hundred of the Hellhound heads, Kingsnakes, and Goblins.

The Angle likes this.
  6. tidalcast

tidalcast Tele-Meister

They're incredibly cool amps, I'm really loving it. Irony, I think the reverb being out of order on this one helped clean up my playing at the session too, gave me one less thing to hide behind!

blowtorch likes this.
  7. tidalcast

tidalcast Tele-Meister

Weeks later and the honeymoon period hasn't worn off. Every guitar I play through this amp sounds amazing. My only problem now is that I had an appendectomy last week and I'm not medically cleared to lift anything over 15 pounds, so if I want to move this or bring it to my gig in June, I need to ask my wife to hoist it for me, and it's stopping me from picking up a second one that I found locally.

8. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

go for the Gusto, get the one you really want and don't look back.

9. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

I bought one of these new around...what, was it 1999?...and for a while I had the matching 1x12 extension cabinet. I moved on to a Dr. Z but there's part of me that wishes I had kept it. It was light, powerful, worked well as a pedal platform, had a decent master volume, and sounded pretty darn decent as I recall.

Congrats on a cool amp!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.