NAD: Fender Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by NateD81, Oct 15, 2019.

1. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

The first digital computers used tubes and were not solid state. The terms solid state and digital have nothing to do with one another. Solid state simply means without tubes, no matter how much you argue otherwise.

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

There's a word for that: analog. There, that wasn't too hard!

3. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Meister

Congratulations on your amp!

I would love to try one in person.
    the Guitar Center in Cincinnati didn't have any when I went down there 2 weeks ago

4. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I think one could argue either way on what "solid state" means: From the Internet here's a definition of solid state:

adjective
    1. (of a device) making use of the electronic properties of solid semiconductors (as opposed to electron tubes).
    The "as opposed to electron tubes" makes one think, aha!, if no tubes then it's solid state, no matter what.

However, the part that says "making use of the electronic properties of solid semiconductors" suggests that modelers may not
    count as solid state because modelers don't rely on the inherent electronic properties but rather use software and modeling to
    model the tone/volume/distortion structure that they want.

If I were the arbiter of tube amp terminology I would dictate that we use the terms digital modeling, analog solid state, and tube amp
    to avoid confusion.....of course there are various hybrids out there that would require some mixing and matching of these terms.

5. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

and after all this discussion, , the amps still do not have an EXT speaker out ! :)

6. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

That Cal Webway and elihu like this.
  7. teleaddicted

teleaddicted Tele-Holic

It is not an easy and fail safe task to have a secondary PASSIVE EXT speaker from the output of the class D power module: if you drop the minimum spec'd impedence you would burn the module.

You'd be better running a secondary ACTIVE EXT speaker from the XLR or jack outputs.

Attached Files:

8. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

Didn't we cover that last week in another thread?

9. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

Which is actually a better option for me, as I would prefer being able to insert effects and use a powered pa speaker or 2 for wet/dry/massive volume boost etc. as opposed to just using an extension cab.

10. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

The entire discussion is covered in multiple threads !

Its a reminder for those who DO NOT READ or PARTICIPATE in every thread. I'm pretty sure we are not done with ToneMaster threads and won't be for a very long time.

11. amorica

amorica TDPRI Member

Great stuff! Very eerie, my kind of thing for sure. Thinking of flipping my 68 CDR for the Twin. The Twin has always been my favorite Fender because of the fullness. Just couldn't deal with the weight. Even went with a Dual Showman. Your drive tone is what I was looking for. Any regrets? Thanks

12. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

You coined an interesting new term here. ;-)

pugnax likes this.
  13. pugnax

pugnax TDPRI Member

In all seriousness it’s my favorite amp I’ve ever owned. Just finished an experimentation session with some effects with it on 1w and running the direct out into the DAW for capture. Wife and kids are asleep in the next room. Sounded great in the room, and the recording sounded even better. If I were cranking it to get that overdrive I would have needed to put on cans, but it was fine around 3-4 on the volume dial.

amorica and 4pickupguy like this.
  14. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Did anybody use the Tonemaster Deluxe on stage? Does it cope with a dynamic drummer?
    Not that I "need" a new amp (I've got my applications covered with a Vibrolux and a Blues jr.) but Fender has my attention here. But so far my experience with digital amps is: sound nice by itself, disappear in the (live) mix. If Fender nailed it here they got me interested.

15. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have. Punk band. Loud drummer. Point of order - I rarely have trouble "keeping up" with any gig size amp (12" speaker or 2x10, at last 20 watts with some headroom). But I'm ok with amp breakup. One time I played a club on the 12w setting, volume on 9 and had to roll my guitar volume back to 6/7 not to dominate. After the show the guitar player in the headliner came up to gush about how we have the "same amp" and how he doesn't normally see DRs in the punk scene (more Mesa's and Marshalls with 4x12s) and how great mine sounded. He had a well-used DRRI.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    codamedia likes this.
  16. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Did he feel the same way about your amp after learning it was a new ToneMaster series? I have a lot players gushing over my tone that go pretty silent after learning I get it from a Helix going direct :(.

17. MilwMark

I bet he would have. Punk bands are pretty practical. But it was while we were tearing down and they were setting up, so I eschewed the philosophical discussion and just thanked him.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    codamedia likes this.
  18. codamedia

I'm from the 1980 punk scene... practical is a very good way to put it. For a musical style associated with attitude, their is very little of it. It is a very unpretentious music scene.

MilwMark likes this.
  19. MilwMark

Hey man - check out Floor Model (Milwaukee) on Reverbnation, Bandcamp and Youtube (various live radio shows). You might enjoy. Working on album #7 now (first one with me on record). First session was last Tuesday - 3 songs tracked. Hoping to pound through 6 on this Tuesday.

nosuch and codamedia like this.
  20. codamedia

I do! It takes me back...
    Thanks for the suggestion, I look forward to digging deeper into the catalog!

MilwMark likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.