NAD: Fender Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by NateD81, Oct 15, 2019.

1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm like that, too, but for all the people who stick to one preset, are they all using THE SAME ONE???

Deathray likes this.
  2. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

Probably not. The belief some players gave that modeling amps are too complicated is disingenuos, because you don't have to try to use all the features and menus. In most cases, you can stick to one preset or amp model and use it like any other amp. Evidently there's too much temptation to fiddle and tweak?

3. NateD81

NateD81 Tele-Meister

thank you! This pretty sums up my experience. Great sounding amp, happy wife, guilt-free music making — not much to complain about!

amorica and Shango66 like this.
  4. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

I've gigged DRRIs for several years with the Celestion Creamback Neo, so if nothing else, I'm very acclimated to the sound. YMMV.

The Jensen that comes with the Tonemaster sounds like it needs some breaking-in. The high-end breakup is too abrasive to my ear. I needed to dial back the EQ on all my gain pedals to compensate.

Changing the speaker made the Tonemaster and the DRRI brought things back into alignment, and made it much easier to dial in both amps to get them closer in tone. At the end of an hour of knob fiddling, all the knobs on both amps ended up at the same settings. Treble on 5, Bass on 4, Volume at 4-5. The volume control on the Tonemaster was like the newer DRRI editions, with a range of smooth volume increase until about 4, then a good sized jump from 4 to 5, with a corresponding increase in gain.

Not only that, but the Vibrato channel is brighter and gainer than the Normal channel, just like the “real” amp. The channels are also out-of-phase when you jumper them, just like the “real” amp. The Vibrato (Tremolo) sounds identical. The Tonemaster reverb will take some getting used to. It’s “too real”, if that makes sense.

amorica and Webfoot like this.
  5. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

I guess not.
    But when I fall in love with one tone, I would prefer it means that I fell in love with one piece of gear rather than I fell in love with a preset.
    From an economical point of view I know it is nonsense, but I wish there was one piece of gear per sound and not some do-it-all Swiss army knives.

6. BigDaddyLH

Don' they say that about some Mesa Boogie amps?

7. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Exactly.... the DRRI and the TM come with completely different speakers out of the box. Everyone loves to compare "digital" to "tube" but very few care to consider the speaker difference and the huge impact it will have on the tone.

amorica likes this.
  8. stuffinplays

stuffinplays TDPRI Member

Never considered this but I'd agree, I had a Mark V 25 that was a glorious sounding amp through a rectifier 4x12" mesa cab... but I ended up using the factory presets from the instruction manual and tweaking them slightly. I remember it being significantly harder to shape a personal sound from scratch on that Mesa, because a SLIGHT turn of any knob would make quite a huge difference! Fun amp though :)

Now, I have a Helix with (2) FRFR speakers and a Twin Reverb Tone Master and I'm really happy with that set-up for at-home play - more so than any amp collection I had going on. Love the attenuation feature and it takes pedals really well. Big beautiful Fender clean tones, I think there's a reason why Fender didn't delineate the TM's from the RI's, besides the badge in the grille cloth... it's the same amp just sans tube.

NateD81 and BigDaddyLH like this.
  9. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Seems to me that’s what Fender wanted to avoid. No one can be master of all those amp models. I owned a Helix. After my initial honeymoon, i realized that some amps and tones still sounded brittle or shrill. Plus, it was a pain in the tush to try to dial in the sweet spot. The
    I like Fender’s approach. Use all the processing to emulate a specific amp. It’s the KISS concept.

amorica likes this.
  10. BigDaddyLH

The thing is, it is code -- a computer programme -- that is emulating a specific amp. (Well, there's the cab and speaker, okay...) I am sure Fender is working on code to emulate other amps. putting that additional code on a TMTR would be trivial. The only violation to KISS would be that leetle knob on the back.

11. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What I still don’t get is: there is a whole world of that out there already, for those who want it.

This is a different product, for those who don’t.

rob2 and pondcaster like this.
  12. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

I stand corrected!

13. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I'm with BigDaddyLH. I think the ToneMaster series is an awesome concept-- first modeling amp that I might actually buy. But I think it would be even better if there were a little knob on the back that gave me
    JCM800, Vox, and Orange voicings. The Fender voicing would be perfect, and the other voicings would not be as good, but they would be good enough. The analogy I gave earlier is that companies like Wampler and
    Catalin Bread have created effects pedals that help you get your Fender amp to sound like a Vox, or a Marshall, or an Ampeg V-4. This would be the same idea-- but you wouldn't have to buy a $150 pedal to get there.
    Would it be perfect? Not at all. Would it be good? Yes. It's not a deal breaker for me at all, but I do think it would be a value-added feature assuming it added $100 or less to the final retail price.

Having said that, I already happen to have a few really great O/D pedals in my arsenal that already give me the O/D sounds I crave so having this as a "clean Fender platform" would be just fine. Doing it this way is
    easier for me than dealing with something like a Helix. But that's me-- YMMV and all that.

14. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

Unlikely for two reasons: One is that Fender has no reason to wade into anything non-Fender. The other is that if it will be a user interface nightmare if they maintain the looks-like-a-classic-Fender front panel. I can see the threads a mile away complaining about having to use the intensity knob for the JCM800's presence control.

I'll put a stake in the ground and predict that a decade from now, the most successful circuit-modeled amps are going to be the ones that allow installation of models developed by third parties and have software-configurable front panels.

15. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

Yes, they are.

16. BigDaddyLH

Some folks insist SS excluded modeling amps. Whatevs, just define your terms at the start if you're going to be that way.

17. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

Everyone else defines solid state as “without tubes”. Transistors and integrated circuits are solid state by definition.

18. BigDaddyLH

Everybody but people who come here for an argument. Now is this the 15 minute argument or the full half hour?

amorica, MisterZ, middy and 1 other person like this.
  19. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

Solid state for most people means analog circuitry, which is a completely different thing from digital or modeling. I for one like and use many SS amps, never really liked anything digital as much.

20. pugnax

pugnax TDPRI Member

Maybe I’m just misinformed/in the minority, but I don’t think of Class D power amps as solid-state (even if they technically make use of a transistor) because the transistors aren’t designed to replicate tube-like qualities. It’s not like the power amp section of the tone master is acting like a set of 6V6s or whatever. Otherwise some dude playing a Dumble in a larger venue with a PA would be playing through a “solid state amp”.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.