NAD: Fender Princeton Recording Amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Basco, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Basco

Basco TDPRI Member

I have been in the market for a new amp to play at low volumes. I had pretty decided on a Blues Jr. or Pro Jr. when I came across this little beauty for sale locally. It's in perfect working order complete with footswitch and cover.
    [​IMG]

I couldn't believe my luck to find one for so little. I've only had a few hours with it so far but I am floored by the sound of this thing. It's the perfect apartment amp to my mind. I set the volume 7-8, a bit of gain for grit and then dial back the attenuator to volumes my wife can't hear even when sleeping! The tones are warm and round with no harsh edges. Spring reverb is great and to top it off it has an effects loop which can be bypassed, speaker out, line out, xlr out, and headphone jack. I can't believe my luck.

Fender nailed it with this amp and should have worked harder to improve on this treasure. If they had put a little more effort into it this would be the defacto amp for bedroom rockstars like myself. Oh, and it is LOUD when played at normal attenuation.

This amp will serve me very well until the day I can afford the hand-wired amp I've always dreamed of.
    [​IMG]

stevemc, JL_LI, dented and 25 others like this.
  2. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Tele-Afflicted

Congrats, that's a great looking little Fender. Enjoy it.

Basco likes this.
  3. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Holic

I’ve never seen that. Cool.

Basco likes this.
  4. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Afflicted

5. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

Just things to be aware of, some of those dudes are anal retentative and a scratch affects the sound. If you know what I mean.

Gimble and Basco like this.
  6. Basco

Basco TDPRI Member

BB likes this.
  7. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Congrats. :cool:

Basco likes this.
  8. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

Sort of likr Princeton reverbs after 78;just don't pull the boost knob and you will be happy. But I'd mess witht he compression, that could be pretty cool. Does it have a foot switch to kick it in and out?

Basco likes this.
  9. Basco

Basco TDPRI Member

Indeed it does.
    [​IMG]

ukepicker likes this.
  10. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

i played through one of these in the little private room at a guitar center back when they first came out. i liked it and i've always kept an eye out for a deal on a used one, locally. still waiting :0

Basco likes this.
  11. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

There are three 12ax7's. Anyone know whether one of those 12ax7's are connected directly to the compressor or overdrive?

12. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Afflicted

Notice that *one guy* said his broke--the rest is theoretical hand-wringing over the dial breaking off. I just noticed that these don't have the tremolo--I wonder if/how that changes anything (other than the obvious). A local shop had one of these for a while. The "rack mount" between the chassis and the baffle for the effects and attenuator on these is interesting.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  13. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Maybe not 'designable' my way,
    but things would look better if the BF amp chassis panel was where it's supposed to be, on top of the speaker baffle, and the effects rack were above. ( just IMO, that split looks goofy)

Willie Johnson likes this.
  14. Willie Johnson

That would make a lot more sense layout-wise. I think Groove Tubes made a combo plus rack space that's in the Tube Amp Book.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  15. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Transistor. There is a lot of solid-state stuff in there, it's a complicated circuit and would cost quite a lot to make if they made them new. The schematic is on this page, very last entry:
    https://el34world.com/charts/Schematics/files/fender/Fender_Schematics.htm

The reverb circuit seems to use 3 tube triodes and two transistors, the latter for power regulation it seems, so they shouldn't be in the sound path. There does seem to be some solid-state stage right after the input, that's the only one in the direct path of the sound other than the overdrive and compressor. And also for various secondary things like the headphone out and effects loop. I haven't examined the whole thing.

teleman1 likes this.
  16. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I was blown away by these when they came out. I mean they sounded great. I wanted one, but couldn't justify another amp at the time....

Fast forward a few years and I came across one on the GC used site. When it arrived at my local GC, it had taken a fall and that stupid dial was broken. You couldn't tell from the one picture on GC's site. But, it was relatively obvious when it arrived. I coudl barely get any sound out of it.

It really bummed me out... and I stopped looking for one after that. Knowing that the parts required for the attenuator are not available just makes it a tough sell for me.

However, the OP's looks to be in excellent condition! I am very excited for you, @Basco! I think these amps sound great and I hope it last forever!!!

Willie Johnson and Basco like this.
  17. Basco

Basco TDPRI Member

Thanks, @Axis29. I can't believe my good fortune in finding this amp. I plan to take care of this little gem and if she fails one day then at least we had a good time while it lasted.

Axis29 and BB like this.
  18. 52 tele

52 tele Tele-Meister

Had mine around 10yrs now and love it,perfect for home volume Fender tones@ full tilt......

Basco and Axis29 like this.
  19. Willie Johnson

I guess it's a thing after all. Sorry it didn't work out for you. Hopefully OP has better luck.

Basco and Axis29 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.