NAD: Fender Fire-breather

Bucster752

TDPRI Member
Well, made the mistake of visiting an old friend of mine at his music store and came home with this......a Fender Excelsior Pro......like I need another freakin' amplifier. Plugged into one of these several months ago at an open mic and was impressed and I confess to having been eyeballing them on Reverb since then. Lo and behold one appears before me! It had a rattling V1 and a replacement squared that away quick enough.

13 watts rocks the 15" speaker with a solid low end and the highs just scream. It sounds bigger than it's low wattage. The color matches the Telecaster as well........a visual bonus. I think I like it.

IMG_3693.jpeg

Bucster752

TDPRI Member
Wait, it has an "Accordion" input? An "Accordion" input!?!
It does.......and one labeled MIC. I have yet to experiment much with these inputs but a quick plug in test had the MIC input a little cleaner and the ACCORDION input about the same as the GUITAR input........quick first listen though. I'll explore further......

Flip G

Tele-Holic
It does.......and one labeled MIC. I have yet to experiment much with these inputs but a quick plug in test had the MIC input a little cleaner and the ACCORDION input about the same as the GUITAR input........quick first listen though. I'll explore further......
Now I'm picturing Weird Al Yankovic dropping by for a jam session! :)
jkw1_900x.jpg

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I believe he's got the Legend speaker in that, as it's the Pro version
I've been curious to swap one into my stock "normal" Exy. Plenty of clips out there show a marked difference

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
I believe he's got the Legend speaker in that, as it's the Pro version
I've been curious to swap one into my stock "normal" Exy. Plenty of clips out there show a marked difference

The 1518 IS a Legend...

Bucster752

TDPRI Member
The speaker has the "made for Fender" label rather than the Excelsior label.......I think that's the correct one for the Pro version.

Thanks for the tips, fellas............I'll be playing around with all this kind of stuff!

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member

I Have never been around one of those, but try this. Plug the guitar in the so-named Jack. Then use another instrument cable to chain the other two jacks. You may hear a difference. Older single channel amps with multiple input jacks will tie together when done this way. If the inputs have tonal differences, that will show up as well.

RoscoeElegante

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
ahhh, thank you for setting me straight on that.
I'd somehow thought the 1518 was the "normal" one and the Legend was a different spkr
Not sure what company made the original one, in the brown Tolex version. And I've never played one. From clips, I can recognize the common complaint of its rattiness, which, of course, can work very well in many situations.

But the 1518 is indeed a beast that can also purr. A friend borrowed it to run vocals through, and it did that well, too.

I just wish that the Excelsior's cab weren't so ugly. I love most retro stuff, but just not that. So I'm rehoming mine into a 1952 Westinghouse TV cabinet. V E R Y slowly. It's in parts on the shelf. As a result, I haven't played my Excelsior in many months. Eager to juice the beast again!