1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NAD Fender Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Strato50, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

This popped up on FBMP for a really good price so I grabbed it. It’s had a new Vintage 30 installed and he gave me the original Jenson with it. It’s got EH power tubes which seem okay. Question to fellow owners of this amp. What speaker do you like in them?I think the V30 sounds good and I kinda know how the Jensen will sound. So so Weber’s sound good and crisp in these ?I can definitely live with the V30 it’s got some bite and loud as hell. Also what tubes are y’all running in them? I’m gigging it tonight and might try an old RCA 7025 in it. Hope to get some feedback. These are killer amps and there’s a reason you see them in stages all the time. They got it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  2. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic

What "this"? 60's Blackface? 70's Silverface? A "reissue" of some sort?

3. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

65 RI.

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. MuddyWolf

MuddyWolf Tele-Meister

Emi gb128 if you want to sound like a fender. A Cel g12h30 if you want a british flavor.

dougstrum likes this.
  5. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic

If it were mine, I'd dump whatever chinese and russian crap is in it...which includes anything from EH. JJ's have been very very good to me.

Mine's a 67, so it's different...but...the tubes should respond similarly.

At the moment I'm using an Eminence Red Fang which sounds quite nice. As does an Eminence Swamp Thang and an old Celestion G12-30. The original Oxford sounds...meh...

6. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

I’ve got one of those stashed. Might try it out.

7. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Emi GA SC64 speaker. Best I've tried in 20 years of searching. Tried most everything out there.

rebelwoclue and RoscoeElegante like this.
  8. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

I pulled all the preamp tubes they’re JJs. Definitely changing V2 with the RCA. If I remember right on these if you pull V1 and play on the vibrato channel you get a little more gain? Is that true?

9. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic

Yes.

Here, check this out...particularly the discussion regarding tube substitutions:
    http://fenderguru.com/amps/deluxe-reverb/

Strato50 likes this.
  10. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

rolandson likes this.
  11. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

Congrats Strato50 and welcome to the DRRI club. Yours looks to be in really nice shape. re: speakers, it's amazing how much difference different speakers make. I've had the original Jensen P12Q alnico and a C-Rex in mine. I'm with Schmee, the Emi Allesandro is a great speaker. All speakers sound great in it, just different. A lot depends on what kind of music you play. Maybe try the original Jensen and see if you like it. If it's too bright, put an Emi in it. Changing speakers is a bit of bear in this combo IME, the reverb tank prevents you from pulling the speaker and the screws for the grill are hard to get too with a driver. If you have an empty extension cab that's easy to swap speakers out of, that's an easier way to try several speakers before committing to installation.

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

My lead player uses a DRRI with a Weber lite dope 50 watt in it, and gets a great clean sound out of it. For dirt, he uses a Blues Driver and/or a Tube Screamer and gets it there too. Mine is a 1971, set up with a 2x10 baffle with JBL D110Fs, and powered with 6L6s- a little different sound than a DRRI, but Daddy likes! _526.JPG _527.JPG

jsnwhite619 and nojazzhere like this.
  13. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Yep. I’m going to uses a semi open extension cab to try out some different speaker. I gigged it last night. Never got my amp volume past 2. It’s a beast with that speaker. My new love this little amp. When people come and want to talk about the tone of it on break that a really good thing I’ll see if can find some phone video.

14. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

39martind18 likes this.
  15. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Actually, I think of it more as a mini Twin, disregarding the different speaker sizes. The 6L6s and the ss rectifier seem to move the breakup point up the volume dial about 2.5 points to around 6.5 to 7, creating a situation where, at the volumes I play, it is now essentially an all clean tone amp= mini Twin. Glad you think of it as cool- I do too!

16. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  17. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

You’ve got to put an Alessandro GA-SC64 in that amp and you will thank me soon as your take your first strum on your guitar.

984FCF3E-3DE2-49EA-92AA-F462EA5BEF34.jpeg 41905AE9-8397-42CD-9658-A3121EFEA228.jpeg

Strato50 likes this.
  18. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Congratulations!

Strato50 likes this.
  19. BluesOwl

BluesOwl Tele-Holic

Yup,
    you heard the diff. of the vintage tube in V2....a vintage tube in V4 (reverb recovery) important in the same way

20. Bob M

Bob M Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I bought a new one late last year. So far I'm reasonably happy with the stock Jensen. I have a Tremolux cab with 2 SC64 10 inchers in it. I have run the DRRI through that cab and it is exciting for sure!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.