NAD: Fender Champion 50xl

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Bristlehound, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

Well... it's on it's way but I thought I'd give a heads up to anyone considering one of these. Thomann in Germany has these at 136GBP (free postage) as opposed to most shops in the UK which have them for around 189GDP. That's a saving of ...er...er... 53 Earth Pounds... which isn't to be sniffed at.

Thomann Champ 50xl

This video (which has been posted before) convinced me... and it's worth watching all the way through as he tells you the settings he uses. Channel 2, gain on 10, Treble on 5 and Bass on 0 with a strip of gaffer tape across the central dome of the speaker for all the voices - he doesn't re-e/q each time. You can also see him work the volume knob and the picking dynamics and hear the changes.

elihu, Treynor and RoCkstAr256 like this.
  2. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

I kinda hate myself for buying katana 100. I could have bought champion 50 XL or 100 XL. I have champion 20 and really dig it

Bristlehound likes this.
  3. Bristlehound

The Katana has advantages... but I love a good Fender tone, as well as a cleanish Marshall JTM (which is quite close to Fender Bassman anyway) and I know that having so many options with the Katana will cause me problems.

I also know that I could just program in 2 or 3 sounds and switch between them... but I know me too well and will start messing and worrying and disappear down a rabbit hole of option paralysis.

RoCkstAr256 likes this.
  4. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

I think you made a solid choice.

RoCkstAr256 and Bristlehound like this.
  5. Bristlehound

Thanks. That was the first video that alerted me to the Champ 50xl.

elihu likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.