NAD-Fender 64' Custom Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by baiff, Dec 29, 2018.

1. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

Just wanted to share my experience with this new amp. I recently stopped by Sweetwater looking for a new amp. They had just started to carry Dr. Z so I bought a Z-Plus (7W-15W with reverb). It was a very nice amp and the build quality is what you would expect. I felt that it was designed more for a pedal board guitarist then a guitar straight in player like myself. It wasn't a bad tone, just not the one I wanted. So I returned the Z and tested out a lot of amps. The 65 DRRI, 65 PRRI (12" tweed), 68' CDR, 68' Vibrolux, 68' CPR, Morgan PR12, Tone King Falcon Grande and the 64' CDR.

The Morgan was built well but was too compressed for me and the price seemed high for what you get. The TL Falcon Grande was nice but more on the tweed side then blackface. All the Fender 65' and 68's sounded good (other then the 68' PR) but I was concerned with the reliability of Fender PCB amps. For me they just don't last and I don't wasn't to deal with shopping for a new amp every 3-4 years. So, I decided on the 64'.

The amp is built well and is lighter then the 65 DRRI due to the solid pine cabinet. The black covering is also a bit different, a tad bit thicker on the 64'. It comes with the Jensen C12Q speaker and sounds great out of the box. The more I play through it the more it softens up in a good way. I play a variety of MJT telecasters and they all sound very good. Each guitar has it's own characteristics that are more noticeable then other amps I have tried. The amp also comes with a nice heavier padded black cover.

The reverb is very nice and lush. Just like an old deluxe that can go from subtle to surf and with with very little to no noise. The vibrato (or tremolo) also works great. Instant CCR tone that has a nice rate of speed which I believe they tweaked to be more like a Princeton Reverb circuit. Both are controlled by the included reproduction foot switch.

You get two channels and four inputs which I have found that you have a lot of tonal flexibility. For example my MJT 55' Esquire with a Duncan 55' Antiquity sounds awesome though the second input of the normal channel. My MJT 59' White Blonde with Dawgtown A5 pickups sounds great through the second input of the bright channel. With multiple guitars or even just one I am discovering a ton of different and useable tones from this amp.

The reported noise from this amp. One of the complaints and a concern of mine was the hum/hiss from this amp. At idle it is very quiet and I only notice a hum issue when I am playing through either channel and the unused channel has the volume up as well. If I have the volume down (off) on the channel I am not currently using there is no issue. Not a problem for me and I heard that this is a common problem because of the shared reverb/vibrato on both channels (like the 68' series). Not sure if a tube change to some nice JJ's or Tung Sols would help but I will report back whenever I end up changing the tubes. I have not jumpered the channels or had the amp cranked...yet.

The price on these new may seem high to some but I got a good deal from my Sweetwater rep and feel that this amp will last like the old ones did. Compared to similar amps like a Louis Electric Deltone, Carr Rambler and a Vintage Sound 22SC I feel good about the purchase. I have tried the Deltone and the Rambler at CME and they are great but a bit more expensive then the Fender. I would still love to try a Vintage Sounds amp but I have never seen one in person.

There you have it. I hope this helps anyone looking at buying this amp. It really is a great product from Fender and I hope this motivates them to do more in the future. Possibly a 66' HW Princeton Reverb or a 67' HW Super Reverb? I should add that another factor was Fender and their new warranty. In 2017 they changed from a 5 year transferrable to a 2 year non transferrable. Even at double the price of a new 65 DRRI I feel better with the hand wired version.

Treynor, BlueCajun and tonyboy like this.
  2. Post-HK

Post-HK Tele-Meister

Congrats! Post some pics!

brookdalebill likes this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yeah!

4. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

Image1546187180.559208.jpg IMG_1789.JPG IMG_1790.JPG IMG_1791.JPG IMG_1792.JPG

Here ya go.

5. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

Good and bad news about my 64 CDR amp. The bad news is that it has a very noticeable static/click when the volume is turned from 5-6 on either channel. I went through multiple scenarios from different guitars, cables, outlets, checking the fuse, turning the controls up to ten and off to 0, turning the reverb/tremelo on and off and unplugging the foot switch. Nothing changes the sound turning up or down. It also does not matter if a guitar is plugged into any of the four inputs, it still makes the noise when moving the volume knobs. The amp sounds great and is very quiet but that was bothering me so I called Sweetwater tech and after reproducing the sound for them over the phone (it's that noticeable) they are sending me out another one Monday or Tuesday (good news). It is nice that I won't be without an amp but sucks that this was an issue on the amp.

6. seanmarshall9

seanmarshall9 TDPRI Member

Any update in this? Shopping for a new amp and was considering the 64 CDR. Thanks

7. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

The update is that I went with the Vintage Sound 20 amp. It is a great amp and the only complaint I have with it is that the tremelo is terrible. It is a bias tremelo and I have tried different tubes to get it sounding deeper and more present. That did not work at all. I apparently like the opto tremelo that is on the DR style amps better. The reverb is good and the dwell knob is a nice feature although I set it in one place and it stays there. The cab is solid and the addition of bias test points is very helpful. I like the speaker in the VS but I do understand why some put in the non smooth come version. There may be a bit less sparkle compared to the Fender but that is easily fixed. I would have loved to have kept the 64" DR but the noise issues were too much for an amp at that price. I should have waited a bit longer for the VS SC22 to be in stock at Humbucker Music but I was impatient and needed an amp. I think that there are a number of great amps out there for less money that will get you what you want. For me, if I would have kept the Fender it would only be because of the name on the grill. The functionality of the amp was just not there for me. Others have stated that the 64' they have is either dead quiet or there is some noise but not an issue when playing with a band. That is great for them but after three of them I gave up when I really needed a quiet amp for recording.

8. InkStained

InkStained Tele-Meister

These statements always make me smile. I've had my DRRI for six years, and I haven't even changed the tubes. Still waiting on my first PCB "problem." I'll keep waiting, I suppose.

The reissues have been sold longer than the "originals," folks. They've stood the test of time -- and then some.

9. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I played an es 339 through a hand wired 64 the other day. I am not extremely knowledgeable or experienced with amps, but I thought it sounded absolutely wonderful. I could be perfectly happy with that amp from now on, I believe.

10. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

I guess I should have put the "For me" part in all caps. When a PCB amp goes out on you it will be more then just a cap here or there. While they have been sold longer they are serviced a whole lot more then the originals. I have certainly seen more RI and Hot Rod amps come through for repair then vintage ones.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.