NAD: Fender 62' Chris Stapleton Princeton

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by EsquireBoy, Feb 26, 2020.

1. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

As some of you may recall, I was hesitating between this amp and a Magnatone Panoramic Stereo:
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/acquiring-super-nice-amp-vs-waiting-for-dream-amp.991217/

Last time I went to my local music store, the only CS Princeton they had was already sold, so I was unable to make a deal and did not think about it anymore.
    Last Thursday I paid them a visit with my wife and son, just for fun during a vacation day. And guess what? They had just stocked another one.
    The guitar and amp I had put there for sale were still not moving after almost a year, so I asked if they would be interested in doing a trade. 5 minutes later the deal was sealed and for a few hundred bucks along with my old guitar and amp, the Princeton was mine.

Pics or it did not happen of course:
    IMG_0017.JPG IMG_0018.JPG IMG_0019.JPG

After having played through it for nearly a week, I've become friend with this little fellow.
    Tone wise it is warmer than my 5F2 clone (which is fitted with a 10"), which is nice with my Esquire that tends to be a bright guitar. It stays clean up until 7 on the volume when the tone is at noon (breaks up a bit sooner when pushing the tone up to 8). It's a cleaner machine than my 5F2 obviously, with much more headroom.

The tone control has a very progressive taper and it is usable at every position: at 1 the amp is quite dark, but definitely usable for a jazz tone. I tend to navigate between 4 and 7 with the Esquire, depending on the volume (pushing the tone a bit when pushing the amp's volume). Between 9 and max there is a pronounced jump in treble response for maximum twang (although it suddenly boosts the hum at the same time obviously); but it's there if you need it.

I am a tremolo addict, and leave it almost always on. This one is so good: so syrupy and three dimensional that the lack of reverb is not a problem because it gives a lot of depth to the sound by itself. Here again the speed and intensity knobs' taper is very smooth and progressive. At minimum speed, it's not the slowest tremolo but it's surely slow enough for me. I navigate between 1 and 4 on the speed for a nice heart-beating pulsation. Up until 4 the intensity is low, which is perfect for an always-on effect. Above 4 the tremolo becomes much more obvious. The fact it's bias-controlled makes the tremolo almost non audible when you hit the strings, then it kicks in smoothly when the note decays: once again it's really nice for an always-on effect, because it stays out of the way of your playing, unless you set the intensity at a higher level.

I pushed the volume and there is absolutely no cab or baffle rattle, unlike my former PRRI which I had to modify by screwing a piece of metal into the baffle to stop the rattling.
    The amp is very quiet, even up high on the volume. The tremolo though, when engaged, makes a beating noise (almost like a heart monitoring), unlike on the PRRI where the tremolo seems to just be heard through the amp's noise floor going on and off. I guess it's because of a difference in the circuit, but I'd like to be educated on this if someone knows better.

I love the clean tone of the amp, but there are many other great amps that can give you equally satisfying cleans. The tremolo is for me what makes it really special, which for a tremolo fiend like me is most important.

Treynor, dannyh, RYAN1987M and 6 others like this.
  2. tah1962

tah1962 Tele-Afflicted

Congrats man! Enjoy your new amp!

EsquireBoy and uriah1 like this.
  3. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Afflicted

Well played sir, congratulations!

EsquireBoy likes this.
  4. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

The beating sound is normal. If you look at the tubes you'll see them pulse along with the trem.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  5. EsquireBoy

Yes, thanks! I was just wondering why it does not do the same on a PRRI where I think the tremolo is also bias-shifting (but maybe I’m wrong about that?)

6. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

I stand to be corrected, but I think it's to do with whether the bias variation is applied to the preamp tube vs the power tubes.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Very cool!

8. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Awesome! Enjoy that amp!

9. EsquireBoy

Interesting. I do not know much about amp electronics, and I thought the bias only had to do with the output tubes.
    Anyway the tremolo on this amp sounds and feel very differently from a PRRI.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.