1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NAD - Dream Amp for Me

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by MilwMark, Oct 16, 2020.

1. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

They are quite different and sometimes get some gruff because of the "legendary" status of the 2203s and 2204s that are single-channel amps. But I dig these amps and I think they sound great. They're in a weird part of Marshall history IMO, as the earlier 800s are well known and so are the longer-running 900s. But Marshall built some really cool amps in these split channels and the brief MKIII 900s and SL-Xs.

2. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Congratulations, early 800’s are the best of the series. My favorite’s are the 2204’s.

What speaker is in your amp? My favorite in speaker in an 800 is a Celestion G12-65, it makes a good amp sound even better.

3. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Had no idea but the listing shows a photo with G12-M70.

Sounds great.

gridlock likes this.
  4. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Rock on.

5. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

it's a JCM 800!. What else can I say?.

6. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats... Great amp!

MilwMark likes this.
  7. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I had a pair.

They are cool - the dirt channel uses the first diode clipping scheme Marshall ever came up with. Surprisingly, the dirt channel is not as loud as the clean.

Steve Lukather recorded an album of covers using one.

Couple of simple mods - a lot of people convert the line level mod on the back to a presence control.

You have to be prepared to crank treble and bass but JCM tones are there. The clean channel uses a 2-band EQ, the eqs are very interactive on both channels. Hopefully you got the clamshell footswitch. I have an Eminence CV75 in the one I kept, it's a great speaker. If you can find one, the Marshall badged Vintage 70 suits these well. The other one had a well worn G75T in it, wire backed original and it was very nice. The Warehouse G65 is another one that gets good wraps. The Creation G65 is a cool speaker in these but exxy if you can find one.

The G12M 70 is not regarded as brilliant but does a job.

Part of the reason the 100 watters aren't highly regarded is they cut the filtering on them. Not on the 50s.

IMG_20200427_121733.jpg

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    tery likes this.
  8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Dacious, looking at the schematics, the 100 watt split channel reverb amps appear to have more filtering in the first two stages in comparison to the 50 watters....100mfd in both of those stage through 2x50mfds in parallel versus single 50 mods in the 50 watt amps. Maybe people like the ‘softer’ result in the 50 watters from the smaller capacitance in those stages???

I recapped and serviced a 100 watt split channel reverb 2x12 combo a few years ago. The owner was ecstatic when he picked up. Playing through it, he observed that the amp had never yielded good sound above the 12th fret on the treble strings. He played some licks up there and marveled at the full-bodied tone he was getting. It was a rich, big-voiced combo.

9. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Turn that thing down! just kidding, congrats...

MilwMark likes this.
  10. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Meister

I sold my amp that was just like that. I still regret selling that amp! I was young!

MilwMark likes this.
  11. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Cool amp! I borrowed one from a friend to play at a few gigs when my amp was in the shop -- it was 1,000X nicer than my amp at the time which was a small SS/Tube hybrid Ampeg. Fond memories of playing it at gigs, it sounded fantastic.

MilwMark likes this.
  12. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Nicely done. It doesn’t get much better than a good old JCM 800.

MilwMark likes this.
  13. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

A small “check everything” reminder.

Amp sounds freaking amazing. But there was something a bit weird about the volume taper. Especially the Master
    - Dimed it is just unimaginably loud.
    - from about 7-9 on the Master it is really loud and has that “kick” you get from big iron Marshall’s.
    - Below that the amp sounds great. But is missing those lows and that mid kick a little bit to my ear. And is loud enough but not by much.

Seemed weird for this circuit. So finally I thought to check the back of the amp. D’oh. Someone had set it to 8ohm out even though the speaker is 16 ohm (ok the weird Marshall 15 ohm thing).

Switched her to 16 ohm out and sure as ****! That little bit of missing “authority” was right back where it should be. That feeling of driving a big v8 with a lot of displacement. Where you always know you have more waiting in reserve if you need it. This thing just flat out has ballz.

Took an amp that was I was already thrilled with and put it into the stratosphere.

blowtorch and Wally like this.
  14. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The first thing to do with a new amp or one you are considering buying is to check the fuse to make sure it is not over-fused. Then, check the impedance match. If either or both of these are not correct, at the minimum that is abargain8ng point and at the worst is an indication of problems that exist or that could become a reality. That higher load on a lower setting puts the OT at risk for damage that may or may not be readily noticeable.

MilwMark likes this.
  15. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I got an '82 4210 about 15 years ago, and it was a real hot mess. Someone altered it to use EL34s, but they didn't remove the PCB to replace the necessary components. Same thing for a rectifier diode replacement - they cut the leads close to the diode body, and then soldered the replacement onto the leads of the failed one. It had the original LCR filter caps when I got it, and they failed within a couple of months. Luckily, nothing else in the amp failed when they went up.

...The preamp tube sockets in mine were riveted in, and a couple of them needed to be replaced, and it was extra fun drilling them out to replace them. The heater wiring was a total mess, and it's a wonder there wasn't more stray 60 cycle hum injected into the signal path than there was.

Mine also had the dreaded channel bleed issue. This amp uses electronic channel switching - not relay-based. I can't even recall now if I ever got the bleed thing sorted out or not.

The clean channel uses a James/Baxandall style of tone stack - talk about a departure for Marshall! And the master vol on the amp is post-phase inverter, which would go on to be a sort of big thing years later (e.g. the preferred way to add a MV to a non-MV Marshall).

It had a very tired 12 (G12-80) in it that seemed to have none of the characteristics of anything like a greenback, Vintage 30, or what I thought Marshall might use in any JCM800 style of amp in the 80's.

...If it weren't so problematic in so many ways, I probably would have just done the minor fixes and maintenance, but I was spending more time working on it than playing it. So it went under the knife, and the factory PCB came out, and I put in a 2204 turretboard in its place. I then tweaked and finessed that to my liking, and still have the amp to this day. I put the chassis in a head cabinet, and still actually use the combo cab as a 1X12.

Anyway, I didn't intend to rain on your parade, Mark - I'm glad your 4210 is in proper working order, and you like how it sounds!

MilwMark likes this.
  16. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

MilwMark, congrats! Which local shop?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.