NAD - Done with tube amps

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Nubs, May 3, 2016.

1. J-fish

J-fish Tele-Meister

My 2 cents on this subject is,
    Good tone is just:
    Frequencies mixed with Harmonics (apart from the playing and the context, of course, but that's entirely another story...)

Now, you can achieve those frequencies AND harmonics with SS gear.
    SS gear is, in many cases, more high fidelity oriented, 20 to 20 khz response etc. etc.
    So the tone is in there, it's just that you have to find a way to achieve that.

It's simply more difficult to achieve, I guess this is why many players and pros simply use tube amps if they can, which will give them a predictable, good and warm tone because of their "lo-fi but in a good, musical way" nature.

It's like if you have to open a bottle and you have a swiss knife with many tools, one of these is a bottle opener and you have to find it before using it.
    If you had a straight bottle opener you could use it immediately instead...
    The result CAN be exactly the same.

BTW, I guess that SS gear isn't much popular even today because users always go for the simpler, more direct solution, today even more than before.
    You can make a record and mix it in your kitchen if you want.
    In many cases, the general tendency is to take the less time as possible in everything.
    So, why should someone struggle to obtain good tone with SS gear if your little, light 5 watts combo is all you need/want in many cases?
    I guess that SS gear goes a little against all that ;)

classicplayer likes this.
  2. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

When you see "by your logic" pop up in a conversation, it's only downhill from there.

classicplayer likes this.
  3. blowery

blowery Tele-Meister

True...I should go edit as it was not intended to be an attack type response, just wanting to clear up some misunderstandings.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  4. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

ANYWAYS...back to the topic. I'll be honest...when I first got the BCH, I was not too impressed. I think that was mainly because the speaker wasn't broken in yet. It sounded somewhat muddy and rough, if that makes sense. But some tweaking with the EQ and the pedals, it's sounding much nicer now. I like the mids up higher than the bass & treble so I have those down a lot and the mid scooped. I'll take a pic of the settings & the amp and upload them tonight.

It's an impressive sounding amp no doubt. I dig it and will be keeping it. It takes pedals very well and has a good clean tone too. I took a chance & bought it after reading reviews and watching demos of it. So if you know anyone who's interested in a 68 Princeton Reverb, let me know :)

5. Tatercaster

Tatercaster Friend of Leo's

I own both a 50W JCM800 2203 clone and a Peavey Stereo Chorus 210. They both are heavy and sound awesome. The 2203 clone does an awesome crunchy overdrive, the Peavey does the super overdriven metal tones. For clean sounds, my 6G2 Princeton gets the job.

My point is that both SS and tube can be great.

6. Elias Graves

Elias Graves Friend of Leo's

They're not ignorant. Most own many amps but the ones they grab to play shows aren't the vintage Fenders. The Trademark 60s, Quilters and the like just get the nod. They're light, sound great and never fail.

We all make our choices based on what works for us.

My nephew doesn't travel with an amp at all any more. Everything gets processed on his pedal board, then to the PA. Works great for him. The Twin Reverb is kinda hard to lug around from a wheelchair.

7. rambleon

rambleon Tele-Meister

To the guys who take backup amps to gigs- why? Are you playing 2-3 hour sets at really high volumes? I've never considered carrying a backup amp. Half the time I don't bother with a backup guitar even. Not worth dragging all that stuff for a 45 minute set.

8. mRtINY

mRtINY Tele-Afflicted

It's the failures from transport that are the issue....

-tINY

9. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Tube amp watts usually yield more volume output than solid state amp watts, so 100 watts SS is not equal to 100w tube. Spare amps are just in case. I haven't had to use my spare yet, but I still want redundancy so I don't blow the whole gig.

awasson and Mr Green Genes like this.
  10. ZZB3

ZZB3 Tele-Holic

I have been playing pro since 1975. I like Fender amps and in those years they sounded great and were durable. I have had so much trouble finding local amp techs or even out of state techs with out a lot of hype was unsuccessful. After countless dollars spent, downtime, and shipping costs and yet again more breakdowns I sold all of my vintage and supposedly maintained tube amps. I bought an old dirty Peavey Chinese made Red Stripe Bandit for less than a service charge or shipping charge and smile at the good tone and reliability every time I flip the on switch. (I took the time to tweak the controls) The audience has not noticed and the pay is the same. The small difference in tone is lost in a live setting. Tube amps are nice but many players sound like who they are through ss as well.

Pcaluaru likes this.
  11. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Actually they are equal to their THD rating.

A 100 watt SS amp is clean to 100 watts, then you don't want to push it any further because it gets ugly.
    A 100 watt tube amp is clean to 100 watts, then you DO want to push it further because that's when they become special!

Yes - a tube amp is much louder at the same rating, but only because we like the sound of tubes when they are pushed beyond their limits. First they compress, then they distort... both very nicely.

Frodebro and con brio like this.
  12. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

I'm not sure why I want to get involved with such a dividing thread - but I can't resist. :eek:

My tube snobbery ended back in 1982... I would have been 17 at the time and my rig consisted of a 100 Watt Hiwatt head with a Marshall 4x12 cabinet.

One night I went to a local bar (Inntowner) in my hometown of Thunder Bay (I played the bar regularly, they just assumed I was old enough to be there) to see a highly regarded cover band from Toronto named CLICK! They were amazing... every song sounded exactly like the originals and this was the time before any trickery.... it was all live! Song after song the guitar tones were perfect, from Rush to Pat Benatar, to Joe Jackson to Journey, etc... etc...! The guitarist swapped between a Les Paul, a Strat and a Tele and had a modest pedal board, but I have no idea today what was on it.

Long story shortened.... the guitar player joined us between sets and when I asked him what he was using for an amp (they were hidden so I couldn't see) he took me on stage and pulled back the curtain. It was a Yamaha G-100 2x12 o_O

Bottom line - use what you want to use as long as
    A: It inspires you and you enjoy using it.
    B: You get some good sounds out of it.

Nothing else matters :cool:

Iron Broadsword and con brio like this.
  13. blowery

blowery Tele-Meister

Exactly, not too mention no amp builder actually has a universal method they all use, dB, watts, THD etc...
    throw different speaker efficiency/sensitivity and that throws it all out at well.

I will agree, a lot of the cheap SS/Modelling are no where near the wattage they claim, THD rating or not.

14. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

All the gigging players I know, the exact opposite is true. I know ONE guy using a solid state modelling amp to play gigs.

Everybody else uses tube amps. Small tube amps, sure, often enough... but still, in my area, tubes are still King.

15. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

This is usually how SS vs Tube threads go.

16. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

I know!!!

Aint it great?

17. con brio

con brio Tele-Meister

I'm sure you are both correct. Really this just shows that anecdotes make for poor data.

Also highlight's something that I think is easy to forget (I certainly forget it reasonably frequently): A lot of the 'truth' in guitar circles is received wisdom / folk wisdom and we all assume everyone else has received the same truths as we have. Clearly we haven't.

18. Elias Graves

Elias Graves Friend of Leo's

We have bad roads here. Maybe potholes are why our tube amps all break down. :D

t guitar floyd likes this.
  19. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

I have been gigging around here ( suburban Philly) for 12 yrs...my Pathfinder line out w/ pedals has been fine anytime. When I did get to use a DRRI, it was glorious but no one in the crowd can tell the diff.

mRtINY and classicplayer like this.
  20. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

As the discussion is based on anecdotes instead of data let me add mine. I was lucky that never an amp (SS or tube) failed during a gig. The only time I experienced an amp fail was when a fellow musician brought his new solid state amp, praised it as being lighter and more reliable while sounding as good as a tube amp. It didn't survive soundcheck. And that proves nothing. Haha.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.