NAD - do we ever get tired of a new amp? Mesa Blue Angel

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by grolan1, May 2, 2017.

1. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    Not physically in my hands as of today but purchased it yesterday... I imagine around a week from now I'll actually be able to enjoy it. It's the 1x12 combo version - believed to be mid 90's so an earlier one. I had the 4x10 years ago and really like it, but the crave to move on and find something different bit me, so I sold it. I do remember the 4x10 was heavy as *&%*, well you know, hoping the 1x12 is a bit lighter.

Not looking for a super loud amp (I have those already) - come on brown truck driver - I need my amp fix! Looking around, there aren't a ton of these amps for sell... not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing.

1.jpg

2. texastengu

texastengu Tele-Holic

Rock and roll until the cows come home!

3. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

Congrats! As far as their limited availability is concerned, my best guess would be that folks that own them really like them, and hang on to them.

Then again they could also be limited edition duds, with most of them ending up in a landfill already! :lol:

Piggy Stu likes this.
  4. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Really hoping I'm going going to add to the landfill - :p

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  5. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Afflicted

I always wanted to try one of those out. I had a Maverick 410 for a while, but I didn't really gel with it.

6. BobbyB

BobbyB Tele-Afflicted

I had one years ago. It does some sweet cleans the Overdrive was bright almost brittle. I tried tube swaps but found the answer was a Tone Tubby Ceramic Hemp cone speaker. The hemp cone took the "bite out" and the amp sounded sweeter than ever!
    Its a great amp. I sold it because I dont gig anymore.

grolan1 likes this.
  7. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Your new Mesa - that's very sweet. 4 x 10 is too heavy for me too.

New amp, do I get tired of it? No, but I'd say "too familiar" with it. It takes me about four months. Then I want something else. I don't get rid of my old amps, but I'm always wanting something new and different to add to the mix. Last amp was a Blackstar that I've been using exlusively since Christmas. Now I want an Orange SS.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    grolan1 likes this.
  8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool, a Boogie with fewer knobs than "Mission Control"!
    Congratulations!

grolan1 likes this.
  9. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

That's the one I'd want if I went shopping for another tube amp. Love 'em.

grolan1 likes this.
  10. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

I already have a speaker ready to go in the Angel... a Eminence Reignmaker with built in volume control... should be interesting. Funny I've always thought these were less bright than a BF/SF Fender.... even stock.

Yep, my main draw to the amp... simple controls, no MV.. straight signal path into all of those tubes!

Exactly, all of the others are less attractive to me, but I do like the sound of the clean channel on the Lonestar and Maverick...

richey88 likes this.
  11. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Well the brown truck came Friday and boy do I like this amp... cleaned it up and got to play it today finally... what a WIDE range of very usefully tones in these amps... amazing sounds to be had. You have to really understand the tone knobs and how they react to the amps character, nothing like a straight forward tone set in a Fender amp.. the knobs are very reactive to each other. Once you understand that, you're golden. And BTW the reverb is the best I've ever hear in any amp, period... amazing and I'm not a huge reverb guy even.

This amp is one of the first ones made, around 1994 with a serial number of BA-287...

I'd strongly suggest if you find one of these, pick it up... tones are heavenly! (they are very heavy though!)

20170507_150637.jpg 20170507_150712.jpg 20170507_075649.jpg

Piggy Stu likes this.
  12. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

I have the 4x10 and 1x12. I'd swear they're the same weight, one's just bulkier and taller.

13. mefgames

mefgames Tele-Afflicted

Congrats on your new amp. These are hard to come by. I bought mine a few years back, then found the matching 4x10 cab to go with it. I'm very partial to Mesa amps and also really like multi watt amps, so this one was a no brainer. Excellent amp, great tone, and the Reverb, as stated earlier is amazing !!
    Enjoy your new amp !!!

213471-99c6812b1fc3d37bf5600cec99a962f7.jpg

14. BobbyB

BobbyB Tele-Afflicted

Congrats man its a great amp.....yep VERY heavy!
    You are gonna look like Arnold soon lol

15. BobbyB

BobbyB Tele-Afflicted

I especially liked the 6V6 setting

16. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Agree, I think I like the 6V6 setting the best, but I must admit, there's not a huge difference between the settings... yes a difference but it's not over the top. The tone controls make much more of a difference than the power tube settings (to my ears).

I also didn't feel the wattage difference... it seemed the volume stayed closer between power tube settings that I would have imaged.

I have a Eminence Reighmaker speaker I was going to install to better control the volume... but I don't believe I'm going to do it now.. the amp really isn't that loud as it is.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.