1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NAD Darkvoice 336SE

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by DrPepper, Oct 29, 2020.

1. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

iridiumhprig.JPG

It is a headphone amp I use with my Iridium. I have been a/b'ing HP's direct into the Irodium vs the DV. Overal volume is the same. Best way for me to describe the differrence is like a vintage DR vs TMDR videos I have listened top on youtube.

The amp is unneccessary but adds a little tube goodness IMHO.

The amp has no output transformer. It uses a 6SN7 preamp tube and a 6AS7 (edited, thanks printer2) power tube. The website list a slew of other tubes that will work with it.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  2. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

A 6SA7 is a radio Pentagrid-Converter. 6AS7 perhaps?

3. DrPepper

Yes, I kinda deslesic.

4. DrPepper

Next day, such sweet sound... Iridium "round" amp, 1X12 going into the DV... sounds like the vintage SFDR (sweetest amp I ever heard, didn't have the cash) played years ago.

That said, the amp has quirks. The indicator LED is intermittent but, the sound quality makes up for it.

I got it from Apos Audio. They gave me free shipping. Don't trust DHL's tracking info.

5. DrPepper

Here is a gut shot from the web...

[​IMG]

I think anyone who hears improvement in tone when making slight changes in something will really appreciate using a tube headphone amploifier with the Iridium. As the amp burns in, the tone gets better. I am leaving it on over 12 hours a day, I play about 6 of those.

6. DrPepper

My nephew played while his girlfrien listened. She knows nothing sabout amps but, could hear the difference. She said there was a big difference and that the tube amp sounded much better. So, it's not just me... Iridium into a tube headphone amp is killer.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.