NAD Coming: Quilter Labs Aviator Cub UK

Treynor

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I've been hankering for a Quilter combo for some time, but never pulled the trigger...until this morning. Sweetwater had a demo model early this morning on their website for $60 off, and I pulled the trigger.

Three British voices: “AC” channel, “AC Top Boost” channel, and a "JMP" channel. Looks like I should have it on Wednesday...and I'll share my first impressions with y'all.

1650746424946.png

1650746368361.png

1650746463308.png

jays0n

Tele-Afflicted
The demo Sweetwater did of this sounded great. I have a 101 Mini from ages ago that I think still sounds good but the modern Quilters seem to be better. Enjoy!

archtop_fjk

Tele-Holic
I had a recent post on this amp too, so I’m curious to hear your impressions. I especially liked the fact that it is only 22 lbs so it would be the perfect gigging amp for small venues. I was a little underwhelmed by the demo that Reverb.com did, but perhaps the amp will sound a lot different in person as opposed to the YouTube compressed audio.

Treynor

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
The Quilter arrived yesterday, and although I am still recovering from outpatient surgery on Monday, I was able to get about 2 total hours of play through. I tried several guitars - a Gibson Les Paul Standard, a Fender Strat and my favorite Tele partscaster. I tried a few pedals from my Marshall pedalboard through the front end...Way Huge Conspiracy Theory, Boss SD-1 and MXR Prime Distortion. I have not yet tried the effects loop yet...hope to do so today.

Initial thoughts? Glad I pulled the trigger! I primarily played through the JMP and Top Boost preamps yesterday, and to my ears Quilter got them right. Along with the custom speaker, I do not hear the typical SS sound signature. I hear quality tones that sound like the real deal with plenty of volume. At this point, I could see myself typically using the Top Boost input for my single coil guitars and the JMP input for most of my humbucker guitars.

In addition to trying the effects loop, I need to hook up my ABY box to try both channel switching and stacking...wil be interesting to see how blending the Vox preamps with the JMP sounds.

BTW, I thought the Reverb.com video comparing the Quilter to the real deal counterparts was not vey good...as previously mentioned. The video that actually captures the sound the best, IMO, was the one Nick from Sweetwater did.

Last edited: