NAD! But the jury’s still out…

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by LGOberean, Mar 6, 2020.

1. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Not trying to be smart & all ... but:

"I need this thing to work for me as an amp, not as a computerized amp simulation"

It IS a computerized amp simulation (usually with lots of options, + different sounds).
    From what you describe, you don't even need one ; you play mainly clean etc...

Oh - plus usually this isn't the strong point of reasonably priced modelers: cleans tend to be too sterile; too quiet..

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I'm not sure how I missed this post originally, Larry, but I'll weigh in now.
    I wish there was some way for you to try one of my PF 15R's, with either the 12" speaker or fourX8" speakers. Unless you're just looking for "different" voices, (and that's perfectly valid) the PF 15's with "more" speaker is ideal.....at least for me.
    I've mentioned before, I once had (prior to discovering PF's) a Vox VT20+ modeler. I could never get used to the different models, and none of them sounded just right.
    A friend has both an AC15 and an AC10.....and they sound great, just not that much better than what I have already. In my opinion, for what I need, the Pathfinder 15R, with more speaker, is perfect. But keep on searching man.....I benefit GREATLY from your research. (and it's cheaper for me, too) ;)

djh22 and Rowdyman like this.
  3. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Point taken. Either I wasn't thinking clearly, or else I expressed my views poorly. Likely as not, both. And you're right; I play clean, or at most just a tad over the edge of clean, the great majority of the time. As for the cleans on modelers being too quiet, straight outta the box, anyway...yeah, that's what I observed with the Cambridge50.

As for the models being sterile, I'm not sure I'd put it that strongly. (To me, describing an amp's or pickup's tone as "sterile" is just about the worst thing you could say about it.) But A/B-ing my Pathfinder 15R to the comparable amp models of AC30 and, to a lesser extent, AC30TB, the digital models lacked warmth and fullness.

homesick345 likes this.
  4. LGOberean

I had wondered why you were keeping your opinions to yourself on this one, Gil. :twisted:

I sure would like to play your multi-speaker configurations of the 15R. What would also be great is to hear you playing through your rig at a gig. We've talked before about the proximity of my family's homestead (in Thorp Spring, out of Granbury) to "Foat Wuth." My wife and I were originally planning to travel up that way toward the end of the month, now with the vehicle issues, that trip's postponed. But the next time I'm up that way, maybe I'll check with you to see where you're playing.

I've never plugged into the VT20+, so I can only guess that the amp modeling in the Cambridge50 is similar. Your description tracks, they just didn't sound quite right, or like what I was wanting to hear. As for the AC15, as I've said before, I've recorded through one once (the studio's amp). Yeah, great, but not way better than my Pathfinders, and I love the grab-n-go convenience of my lightweight 15Rs that punch above their weight class.

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Larry, have you looked into the Boss Nextone at all?

6. nojazzhere

Many things in life are a compromise, (duh!) but the version of the PF 15R I have with one 12" is not "much" bigger and heavier than the stock one. It's MY "grab and go". As I've said many times, the 15 watts of a PF is plenty of power for me.....but the larger speakers just deliver more "umph" than the little 8". I'm not certain you need a new amp.....just more speaker. ;)

LGOberean and Rowdyman like this.
  7. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Around here I can score a used Vox AC10 or AC15 for $300 to $350 on craigslist - if what you want is a simple, great sounding tube amp at a little more volume than your current rig, why not get a simple, great sounding tube amp?
    The modelers add a lot of complexity - maybe the sound you are after is in there somewhere, maybe it's not. But if you find the looking for the sound to be frustrating and not productive, maybe that's not the route that will get you where you want to me.
    There were a couple of gigs I did with my Katana where I really appreciated the ability to sound completely different with a push of afootswitch, and to have crazy stuff like Ringmods on tap. But basically that's not what I want or what I like - mostly, I just want a great clean-with-a-little-hair Fender amp sound with some analog delay. It really depends on what you want to do - if all those options detract from the experience then it's not worth it in my opinion.

8. LGOberean

I've said this elsewhere, but I don't recall if I've said it in this thread: no one in town has a Nextone for me to try. And after this latest disappointment, I'm certainly not going to turn around and order one.

Sounds right when you say it! :twisted:

Around here, I can't. The nearest one listed on Craig's List is about 150 miles away. And besides, tubes to fuss with, and a combo heavier than both my Pathfinder and my powered speaker put together? No, thank you.

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. nick0

nick0 Tele-Meister

I have got a Vox VT100x, I have only plugged it in to the PC once just to try all the amp tones to see what I liked, I saved some settings to the amp. I just use my amp as an amp. Even if I never plug it into a PC ever again!

10. Stratguy70

Stratguy70 TDPRI Member

Sorry to hear that didn't work out, I was really hoping it would for you.
    Fact is Pathfinder 15 was a gem, and I wish they still made them. Variations with a 10 and 12" would be great too, but I guess the sells aren't there.
    Have you tried the AV models?

Maybe 2 pathfinders with an aby is the ticket, and why mess with what works?
    I picked up a Bassbreaker 007 and am thinking this will work for me. I can get that edge of breakup and it's warm, not sterile. Goes quiet or loud, and I use a little delay pedal because it has no reverb.
    I should have bought half a dozen Pathfinder 15r's , and left 4 unboxed in the closet.
    Oh well.

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. nojazzhere

On local CraigsList there was a Pathfinder 15 (didn't mention reverb) for $200. I didn't call, as I just can't justify another one. The ad was gone within a day or two.....indicating it probably sold. Hang on to the ones you have, they're GREAT amps, and prices may be creeping up.

Stratguy70 likes this.
  12. LGOberean

Thanks. Well, I gave it a shot, anyway, and learned some things going through the process. As for the two Pathfinders with an ABY box, I've done that, quite a few times, in fact. I've also in the past run from the Line Out on the rear panel of a 15R to a PA (Peavey XR8600D powered mixer + PR12s) or a powered speaker (Alto TS310). What I was hoping for was one lightweight amp instead of two or the amp plus the powered speaker. Two amps, two guitars and I'd be done. And I have 3 15Rs, because I knew I'd always want this amp in my amp arsenal.

Oh, I'm definitely hanging on to my 3 PF15Rs. And if I ever stumble across one in good working order and reasonable cosmetic condition at a good price, I'll probably snap up a 4th.

Rowdyman and nojazzhere like this.
  13. nojazzhere

FWIW.....if you come across another one that works and sounds good, even if it looks ragged, snag it. I've got two or three perfectly good cabinets that I doubt I'll ever use again. You're welcome to one if you want. ;)

Stratguy70 and LGOberean like this.
  14. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

I got a Vox Valvetronix for my summer home, bought from a guy who was ditching it because it was huge and loud. I can make any amp work, and found one setting combo that works fine for me, but most of the models, tones, and amp responses are not just cruddy, but really terribly bad. There's one tube in the signal chain, but this amp seems to conform to all the negatives you hear about poorly-conceived SS amps. I've played plenty of SS stuff that's fine. This is not. Maybe the new generation of Voxes is better. An amp full of bad-sounding models of other, better amps is, well, both hilarious and sad.

rocksmoot likes this.
  15. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

I didn't read all the posts but I use a multi fx..... I've had a mustang III so I've dealt with this. What worked for me is to find a way to take ALL fx out of the signal path except Gail/vol and eq. If you can do that then start from there and you should be able to balance your FX as you add them, clean and dirty tone for volume. Hope this isn't redundant. Good luck

16. Stratguy70

Stratguy70 TDPRI Member

I have an older Vox Pathfinder 15 (- V9168 not 15r) the non reverb version ( made in Korea, black grill, serial 002) where the cabinet looks like it has been through the war. I would be willing to give you a few $ for one of those decent cabinets.

17. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I bought a Fender Champion 50XL modeler as it was stupid cheap, sounded good on YouTube and my Laney LC15R was playing up again. I went through all the amp models and eventually ended up running a nice, clean Fender Twin model with a PlexiDrive in front of it. Perfect!

LGOberean likes this.
  18. LGOberean

Thanks, very generous of you! But you should work something out with @Stratguy70 . I'm not actively looking for another, I was just saying if I stumbled onto the right deal...

Oh, and Stratguy70, although all four of mine are 15Rs, the first one I got--9 years ago in a pawn shop for $40--was also MiK with the black grill cloth.

Who is Gail, and what is she doing in your signal path?!? :twisted:

nojazzhere and Stratguy70 like this.
  19. nojazzhere

Message me and we'll figure something out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.