NAD - Budda Superdrive 18 Series 2

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by udoering, Jul 30, 2017.

1. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's

Some weeks ago a big musicstore made a special offer about Budda amps. Until then I had no idea about those amps, and so I made a Google and Youtube search. What I found out and heard let me order one of those amps, and I decided to choose the 18 watt version, beeing the smallest. I didn´t need another amp, but it was so different from my other amps (MESA Express, Lonestar Special) that I couldn´t resist, especially as my bank account gave me an immediate "GO!".

I will give you no specs here, you can read them easily on the internet. I think this is a great amp. It´s unbelievable fat sounding. I could quickly dial in a setting that sounded good to me. I like the treble boost even on single coil guitars, I do not like the "modern" switch, which might be related with my musical preferences. I did not use the effect loop. And I did not crank the amp, it would have been far to loud.

What I love about that amp aside from the sound is that all the potentiometers fulfill their job without any jumps, they work evenly with musically suitable results. Even the drive channel with a very low gain delivers results that are just beautiful.

I recorded a little track as a demo, concentrating on using different guitar and amp settings. The guitar is a 2010 American Standard Tele with Fender Blackguard pickups; the cab I used is a Palmer open back 1x12 with an Eminence Legend 1258, miked with a SM 57 clone nearly centered. No effects added but a little reverb, no eq.

You hear the "clean" channel up to 1:20, the the drive channel; at the very end I went to the clean channel again with the bright switch activated. Master is at 08:00, drive at noon, treble at noon, bass and middle at 10 - 11.

-Hawk- and bullfrogblues like this.
  2. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Sounds very nice! You are correct- very fat sound. Thanks for posting.

3. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Meister

Congrats! I think you will find the more you use it, the more you will like it. I have a twinmaster as my main amp, and could not be happier. Budda makes great amps- i think the only reason they are not more popular, is that they are not really a clone of another amp- they have a pretty distinctive tone. They do pride themselves on the "phat" tone-which is great- but sometimes I will go stereo with a deluxe reverb using a ABY to get a little more sparkle.

4. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Meister

and the effects loop is killer also!

5. gtrguru

gtrguru Friend of Leo's

I really wanted the Budda SD18 but could not find one to play when I was looking. How does it handle low volume practice? I know the YouTube videos sound amazing.

6. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's

That´s a little problem, I think, if you are talking about bedroom level and depending on house construction and touchiness of the neighbourhood. You can´t play it on very low levels without auxiliary devices such as an attenuator. On the other hand, simple attenuators are not expensive.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.