NAD: Brownface Princeton

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Teleka, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Teleka

Teleka TDPRI Member

Hey guys,

Just scored a '63 Princeton. Couldnt wean myself from it all day! Great tone and stunning tremolo.

I'm taking it to my tech to set it up for 220v, and most likely get a cap job.

I'm thinking of changing the speaker. It has a CTS, which I think is original. Is it worth it to install a new baffle board and go for a 12"? Will this make the amp sound boxier? I kinda like the punchiness of the 10", but need a bit more volume.

Any speaker recommendations?

Cheers,
    Teleka

Attached Files:

studio1087 likes this.
  2. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Get all the electolytics replaced then try the speaker. You might like it. You might not too but try it first.

My 64 Princeton Reverb has a 74 CTS alnico I'll probably never change it. Before the cap job the speaker sounded "farty."

Speaking of which can you post a picture of your CTS? That'll help find out if it'd original be sure to get any codes in the shot as well.

Teleka likes this.
  3. Onebean

Onebean Tele-Holic

How do you set it up for 220v from 110v? Change the power transformer? What makes you think it needs a cap job? My take is, if you love the amp, and just want more volume, mic it. I would be concerned about removing some (or a lot) of what you love about the amp, making these changes. I think I remember MuchXS commenting one time about how many perfectly good working vintage amps were ruined by swapping out components that had drifted out of tolerance slightly, not causing any harm to the amp, and ultimately giving it that magical tone. I'm not superstitious, but I don't think I would swap anything on that amp if it's working and sounding good.

Onebean

Teleka likes this.
  4. Teleka

Teleka TDPRI Member

That makes sense, thanks.

Here's a shot of the speaker

Attached Files:

5. Onebean

Onebean Tele-Holic

Congratulations on getting a killer amp. I built a clone, and it's really great, I can only imagine how much better a real one is. Enjoy.

Onebean

Teleka likes this.
  6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

That is the correct speaker, ime. RE: electrolytic capacitors....these are not the components that can be ignored, ime. They need to be replaced.....according to that speaker the amp is now 52 years old....date code reads the 47th week of 1962, so I'll take it that the amp is a '63....tube chart should be stamped M_.....some month in 1963...M + 1963.
    Other components like tone or coupling caps and resistors need not be replaced unless they have failed or drifted way out of spec. (;^)

Teleka likes this.
  7. Emresound

Emresound Tele-Meister

Congrats on the new amp, just scored one a few days ago. Yours looks in much better shape than mine. :)

Teleka likes this.
  8. BobbyZ

If you do find you want to upgrade the speaker for more volume there's plenty of 10s that'll do that. Something like a Red Fang 10" is 102.db. Going from the old CTS to something like that will knock you on your butt volume wise.
    (not saying that's the one to go with it could be IDK)

I think Celestion also has some 10" in the 100 DB range.
    Replaced a 53 year old Jensen C12R in a 62 Reveberocket with a G12H30. It sounded good but the volume increase was so much I had to run the amp turned down to where it was clean and boring.
    Little amps are only fun of you can crank them past 5.

Teleka likes this.
  9. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Afflicted

Nice score!

Teleka likes this.
  10. BobbyZ

But the way a 6G2 was my first amp in like 1980. Sounded great but back then a Princeton was like a fat chick.
    OK in the bedroom buy you don't want your friends to find out about it.:lol:

SnidelyWhiplash and Teleka like this.
  11. Emresound

Emresound Tele-Meister

Here is a question RE speakers, which speaker would have the most brightness? After something that I can use for dark guitars.
    :)

12. CNBaker

CNBaker TDPRI Member

Any AlNiCo Oxford.

13. Wally

IME, considering a speaker change while running on old electrolytics is......in the words of another era....putting the cart in front of the horse. (;^). YMMV........but ime a 6g2 is not a dark amp that needs a bright speaker in order to accommodate any guitar. If you do want a bright speaker, a modern Celestion G10 is a bright one......I have no use for them....but they are bright!

Teleka likes this.
  14. Teleka

Teleka TDPRI Member

Thanks for the replies. For the time being I'll just swap the electrolytes . Might keep the speaker, so I can crank the amp at a reasonable level, and get an external cab if I need more volume

15. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

Congrats. Looks to be in beautiful condition.

Teleka likes this.
  16. Singin' Dave

Singin' Dave Friend of Leo's

drool. That's a beauty

Teleka likes this.
  17. Wally

Well, you brought your old thread back up. What has transpired with the amp?

18. Teleka

Teleka TDPRI Member

I changed the original power tubes and sent it to the tech to swap the electrolytics. The original speaker is still in. When playing with the band I run it through a 2x12 cab, but being a six-piece with a heavy handed drummer it needs to go through the PA.

It's a terrific amp. My only regret is not having tried one earlier!!

19. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Good call on the extension cab. My comment was going to be, don't put a 12" in it. A 12" in a bigger, deeper cab is a better idea. Much better sound than stuffing a 12" into the smaller original sized combo cab. In my experience.

Teleka likes this.
  20. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted

If you ever decide to go to an export (220 V ) transformer and are willing to sell the original power transformer please PM me. I have been looking for a 125P1A for a while. I would be willing to buy and ship a mercury magnetics 220V mains transformer too you plus cash.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.