NAD- Boss Acoustic Singer Live

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by stillrockin, Oct 21, 2019.

1. stillrockin

stillrockin Tele-Meister

Our 1960s rock & roll band recently played our last gig... at our 50th high school class reunion! I'm in my late 60s and have grown tired of schlepping a heavy PA, floor monitors, guitar amp and misc. gear to and from practices and gigs. BUT, I still love music. Love to play guitar and sing. I'm turning my attention toward folk, folk-rock, roots and Americana. Hoping to get into a coffee house scene and wanted a small, all-in-one amp. Have been a long-time fan of Roland products (pedals, Jazz Chorus and Cube amps etc.) so the Acoustic Singer Live was high on my shopping list of amps. To date, at home, I've thrown the following at this little amp and it has performed brilliantly: Takamine cedar top dreadnought, Olympia 12-string (also a 'dread' size), Rickenbacker electric 12, Sennheiser dynamic mic, AKG condenser mic, an MP3 player, a Zoom recorder and a drum machine. Overall, a really great investment. Highly recommended.

Boss Amp w Ric and 6 string.jpg

2. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Cute little rig!

You can also turn your attention to Quilter and Tech 21 - they're making guitar amps you can carry in a coat pocket. I've replaced my old Pro Junior with a Quilter MicroBlock 45 to run through a speaker cabinet and - to travel really light - a Tech 21 Character Series Blonde to plug into a PA.

Playing electric is a lot easier now!

(I still have my Bassman head for those special occasions.)

telestratosonic likes this.
  3. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

I've owned and gigged a fishman loudbox mini for over 4 years
    I'm not going to get rid of it until it poops the bed, but when it does, I'm looking at the same one you have there first.

4. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

What drum machine, if I may ask?
    Also, good luck with your new venture.

5. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Meister

When I do a solo acoustic gig, I run a small 6 channel Mackie mixer into one channel of a Fishman Artist. The mixer takes the computer backing tracks, and mic. A smaller 4 channel mixer would work well, with the guitar going thru the other channel of the Artist.

6. stillrockin

stillrockin Tele-Meister

I run a little pocket-size Mooer PE100 into the Aux Input on the back of the amp. That input has its own gain knob so it's easy to balance the level of the rhythm sound with the guitar and mic levels on the front panel.

RodeoTex likes this.
  7. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Good choice. I have a Boss Katana and had been looking at Roland Cubes. Know what? The Katana is really a modern version of a Roland Cube plus Computer stuff I cannot yet work out but will. Once you get some pre-sets for a song, that and a 12" speaker, do the job well.
    As to acoustics, my Taylor sounds great through that channel. Enjoy!:)

stillrockin likes this.
  8. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I was only marginally aware of this Boss amp and was not aware of all it could do. Nice!

Still, I'm quite happy with my Fishman Loudbox amps for that same "small, all-in-one amp" convenience for rigs for gigs, so I don't see myself changing anytime soon.

9. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Tele-Afflicted

I went to a music store yesterday and tried out several acoustic amps, all under $1000 CAD. I ran a Gibson J45 and Songwriter through them. I was not aware of the Boss acoustic amps until reading your post on the 21st so I was curious as to how they sound. I had owned a Fender Acoustasonic Junior nearly twenty years ago. There are a few YouTube reviews of the two Boss models and I was impressed.
    I came away with the Boss Acoustic Singer Pro. $899.99 plus 5% tax. I tried it out today using my Tacoma DM-10E and a Shure SM58 mic for vocals. I like it. I need to do some tweaking to get the guitar to sound as if it's not plugged into an amp. That's generally been my beef with amplified acoustic guitars.

The harmonizer effects for vocals is pretty impressive. Not sure if I would use it though but who knows. Thanks for the heads up on these two amps.

10. stillrockin

stillrockin Tele-Meister

[QUOTE="I came away with the Boss Acoustic Singer Pro. $899.99 plus 5% tax. I tried it out today using my Tacoma DM-10E and a Shure SM58 mic for vocals. I like it. I need to do some tweaking to get the guitar to sound as if it's not plugged into an amp. That's generally been my beef with amplified acoustic guitars.
    [/QUOTE]
    Congrats on your new amp, telestratosonic! I share your 'beef' about acoustic guitars not sounding like acoustic guitars when amplified. I'm finding that the 'Acoustic Resonance' button on the instrument channel is a nice, no-fuss approach to adding back some of those lost sound artifacts produced by an acoustic guitar's body. The 3-band EQ and sweepable notch filter are VERY useable as well. Happy pickin'!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.