NAD - Blues Junior III

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Sticky, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Sticky

Sticky Tele-Meister

First tube amp since 1971! (Not counting various Hammond organ or Leslie speaker innards.) Man, what a feeling hearing that nice round sound again when I played the first notes from the Baja through those glowing glass things. :D

I don't gig, so the BJr is perfect in the house. If I get into surf or spy music I'll have to replace the reverb tank, but that's minor. Otherwise, I like the sounds I can get out of this amp. It's got plenty of volume, that's for sure. Wish I could see the tubes glowing while I played -- hey, maybe I need to find an Ampeg flip-top! :D Anyway, I'm enjoying the heck out of the honeymoon with this little package of goodness.

2. Bugeyed Earl

Bugeyed Earl Tele-Meister

Congrats on the new amp! I just picked up an older one last week, it's a nice little unit.

3. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats! Nice amps, those BJrs.

4. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

I had one and couldn't get on with it. Especially once I started playing the vintage reissues series (the 65' ones). I A/B a 65' PRRI with a tweed NOS blues jr with the stock Jensen which I actually liked a lot better than any other BJR I've played. The PGS humbolt one looks sweet with the stock c-rex. But after playing the 65' PRRI and DRRI I just couldn't go back to the hot rod series. I know there's a size able price difference but worth it IMO.

5. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Happy new amp day. Blues Jr's are great little work horses. Nice amp.

6. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

Congrats Sticky. I like mine a lot. Lots of mods out there if you like to tinker. There is an owners club here as well. Lots of good info there re modding, external speakers etc. Have you checked out Bill M's site yet?
    http://billmaudio.com/wp/

7. Sticky

Sticky Tele-Meister

I have, thanks. Haven't decided whether to do any or not, though. Since I don't gig, I only play quietly in the house, and as yet haven't had anything to kick about with the amp except for when the reverb is turned up high.

8. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

On mine, if the reverb is around 2 or 3, it sounds good, but anything over that sounds very metallic. I don't use much reverb anyway, so it doesn't matter that much to me.

Mine is bone stock, and I don't feel the need to change anything on it. I get a great sound out of it, and it's the best amp I have for practicing and jamming.

9. Sticky

Sticky Tele-Meister

From what I've read on this site and elsewhere, "better" reverb tanks are only about $20, if that, and probably would take less than 6 minutes to swap out.

10. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

If you change it out let us know what you get and how it works out. I don't mind my reverb as is but for a low price I'd tinker.

11. Jalpow

Jalpow Tele-Meister

Congrats man! I've had a blues jr for around 3 years now. Great little amp thats served me well. I've put in one of those MOD reverb tanks with 3 springs and it sounds a lot smoother now, a bit more luscious if that's what you're after. Was $20 but shipping to Australia doubled that...

12. Sticky

Sticky Tele-Meister

Yeah, smooth and lush, like good Scotch... :D

13. T-Bone

T-Bone Tele-Holic

Happy NAD! blues Jr is an awesome amp for just about anything. Not many things can top the sound and feeling of an electric guitar through glowing vacuum tubes. :)

14. yellowbeard

yellowbeard Tele-Holic

It's nice to see people saying some good about the B Jr for a change, it seems to be a love it or hate it amp. I love it.

15. Sticky

Sticky Tele-Meister

I swear, the other day I was just noodling around, not playing anything in particular, and became aware of the tone I was hearing. I couldn't believe I was at the other end of it! My first thought was to write down the settings, but then I realized I didn't need to. It's a cool feeling just sitting there with a big smile, listening to yourself play and profoundly *liking* the sound of it. First time for me.

16. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Now get you a RCA 7025 (or at least a 12ax7a) in v1 and a nice pair of Sylvania/Baldwin organ pulls in v2-3 and finish it off. Ear to ear grins will follow with that little bit of fine tuning.

Sure some folks say its not a huge, dramatic change, it's not, it's a matter string definition, separation and clarity as well as a increase in responsiveness to your pick attack phrasing. A mod here, a speaker change there, a tube roll there, all those little changes add up.

17. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

Jalpow, do you remember which tank you bought? I may want to swap mine (for no good reason other than curiosity).

I came across an old 7025 from a Twin I have, thought it ws NG but had saved it, tried it in my V1 in the B jr and it works fine..sounds cool. And also added two NOS (a GE and an RCA..both really RCA) yesterday..happy happy. Love this little amp. Down the road I want to add an external speaker jack, super simple (knocking wood..those are famous last words ha ha).

18. Sticky

Sticky Tele-Meister

Okay, I've saved your post for possible future use. Thanks!

19. Jalpow

Jalpow Tele-Meister

20. Johnny Cache

Johnny Cache Former Member

I like those MOD tanks, I've replaced a few of the Accutronic tanks with them when the transducer died. The other issue I've had with the Accutronic's is a wire to the transducer will break due to vibration and I've had to re-solder them. So far I haven't had a problem with any MOD tanks. Be sure to get the right one for your amp or at least one that has a resistance close to the original or it may not work properly. BTW I like the 3 spring ones.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.