NAD: Blues Deville 410... with some issues

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Axis29, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

So, a deal came up on Craigslist on an original Blues Deville 410. I paid so little for it, I felt guilty leaving the guys house! But, it has issues.... I wasn't looking for one of these, but the price was just too low to pass up. I've played through one of these and loved the tone. And, yes, even the overdrive channel sounded good to me. It's louder and heavier than I probably need, but even if I part it out on ebay, I know I can make the purchase price. Or, if I get it working as it should, I can leave it at the practice space.

Backstory: One of the guitar input jacks was going bad and "a 'friend' tried to fix it.... not realizing that there were set screws on the knobs". So, all the pots are shot. The stems are all loose and spin freely. The switches still work, you can change channels, etc. You just can't change the tone or volumes! LOL

My plan is to relocate the upper PCB down enough to clear some regular pots and switches and handwire them to the board. I may throw a bias pot in there while I'm fooling with it. Any other mods I might look at while it's powered down and in pieces?

Funny thing is, the trebles are set a touch high, and the reverb is a touch heavier than I like... but the dang amp sounds great!

Anyway, here are some photos of the old crusty beast:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sparklecaster

Sparklecaster Tele-Meister

I have the reissue 410 blues deville. It is a bright sucker for sure. I put a nos 12at7 and a JJ 12ax7 in the PI and it tames the treble a lot and made the gain side more usable. Channel one is a little too tame now. May have to put in a NOS tung. Sol in V1 and see what that does. I got some raytheon ribbed black plates too.

3. Axis29

I won't say the amp itself is bright... I can't turn down the treble! LOL

4. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

HAAA :lol: So you caved in and bought an amp that is mostly despised on this site from all the negative post we read..but non the less..those amps are on numerous Pro stages everywhere..I wonder why :p

Drive channel, always seems to be underated with those and most Fender amps..but I find them more than just adequate for my playing needs..excellent really ;)

Congrats..despite all the negavtive press on this site..I have a feeling, that you are going to be playing that amp non-stop, once you get it repaired..very addicting sound ;)

5. Sparklecaster

Sparklecaster Tele-Meister

If you turn the clean channel up to about 4 or 5 its sounds awesome. Problem is at that level it is one loud mother!

6. Markdett

Markdett Tele-Meister

You can hide it at my place, if need be, Axis.

7. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Tele-Holic

Congrats Axis29 on a solid investment....agree w/ musicmatty on all points, you've now got an amp that'll you'll love, and many will hate, until they hear ya play it!

Bought my '94 new, still my main amp, put a Mercury output tranny in, blackfaced the tone stack, and added a toggle to cut bass ala SRV's Diaz mod, so the 10's dont woof when you crank her. Loves pedals, but man, that clean Fender tone w/ a strat is just killer for the price point.

Saw Little Feat front row in 2000, Freddy Tackett was killin' w/ an orig. issue DeVille. Makes me laugh sometimes the discussions on gear forums about big $$ amps, then go to shows and see pros playin' my amp. I tend to default to the 'working man's approach' to most things, and how that relates to music gear is it ALWAYS saves me $$. Enjoy.

8. Axis29

Okay, so hear's the latest... only two pots work.. the drive (which kinda works and is really scratchy) and the reverb (which goes from off, two spacey to way too much, by 3 on the knob). One input has a nut on it (the foot pedal input). Input #1 doesn't work... well, it kinda made a little noise when I wiggle it a touch. I haven't tried the FX send and receive yet... not much point really. All the switches work and the light lights up.

Oh, and I looked at the pics, scrolling down and realized the pic doesn't show it, but I do have all the chicken head knobs. Less stuff to buy!

Frighteningly enough, I still like the way it sounds... really, I can hear the potential more than anything. LOL

9. Axis29

If you look at my choice of amps and guitars, you might not really be surprised that I find joy in some things that may not be that mainstream... :D

Eh, 40 watts, 60 watts. what's it matter at that point? LOL

It'll be fun at the practice studio.

When I get it fixed, it might just pop the windows outta your casa, mi amigo!

Yeah, my #1 amp is a '63 Vibroverb Reissue... I don't see a lotta folks playing them. But when folks hear mine they gotta find out what and how! :lol:

I don't know that I'll be fussing with it too much. Just getting it fixed.

10. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Holic

Congrats. I had a USA model several years ago that somebody did an awesome relic job on. It had the perfect shade of lacquer - Everybody thought it was a Vintage Fender or a Victoria. Not bad! After some tube rolling and bias tweaks I got her sounding pretty sweet. It was loud though.. Looking back I should of never sold it. However, I just bought a '59 Bassamn RI so I'm ok now. Have fun with it.

11. Axis29

Hold the presses folks! I got a question....

So, I'm trying to find part numbers and such for the pots. I found a service manual for the Blues Deluxe... but it turns out it's a service manual for the Blues Deluxe/DeVille. And while looking at the thing, it has the PCB layout. There is one note talking about hooking up different quick disconnects for the two different amps. It's on the right side of the drawing:

[​IMG]

The note says hook up C36 and CR18 but not W37, 38 for a Deville and the opposite for a Deluxe. Does this mean they are the same amps and you could lower the voltage and therefore lower the wattage fo the amp by switching these connections?

Edit Sorry, here's a better pic of just the note: [​IMG]

12. Axis29

walked away for a little while and found another not swapping to values... Looks like it's not as simple as swapping these connectors... But, there are a couple of different resistors elsewhere in the circuit as well... Oh well, was thinking it'd be an easy cut of 20 Watts or maybe a simple jump back and forth. Nope!

So much for the easier, softer way! LOL

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.