NAD- Bandit 112 - Dumpster Dive

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Pasta Player, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Pasta Player

Pasta Player TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

Added a speaker & grille cover after teardown, solder re-flow / check and general clean out of this Bandit 112 - Solo Series (Teal ’91).

LOUD, crisp & clear clean channel… Lead channel seems good until activating gain switch. Hiss (“white noise”) increases proportionately from 0 - 10, both with and without anything input. Never having had any Peavey before… wondering if maybe this is normal or if I should begin checking resistors, transistors etcetera? And IF a common problem, maybe someone could point out the “Usual Suspects”?

Hiss ONLY present with gain engaged.

Mind you… rare that I might ever even use the lead channel - but the power of OCD compels me. Seems that there should be a filter (or somethin’) in that lead channel gain circuit to easily correct / replace?

And yup, sprayed cleaner into that gain switch from above, below and into the front. No change. So either it’s normal… or something relatively simple is amiss?

Otherwise, completely impressed with this old amp.

Bandito.png

2. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

Don't use the gain ... You'll be fine ... Enjoy !!!

Pasta Player likes this.
  3. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

Sweet find - Congrats! Try inserting a short patch cord (the type used for f/x pedals) into the send and return jacks on the the back of the amp then give it a go...

Pasta Player likes this.
  4. Pasta Player

Thanks 2HG... tried & it makes no difference. But I also used the "patch" after installing the speaker - just to see if it would be worth proceeding with the amp... when it didn't respond at first to the new speaker. Then after I cleaned it all out & went through it more closely, it no longer needed that "patch". It's now a "keeper". Hiss or no hiss. (Nods @rangercaster.)

5. 2 Headed Goat

Cheers... Cool, the "patch" rocks for sussing things out. Since the hiss is there regardless of any input, it could be a faulty cap and/or resistor, op amp in the drive section.
    I hear ya, and no really big loss as the clean channel will serve to be a great pedal platform..

Pasta Player likes this.
  6. Pasta Player

Did notice one little (slightly swollen) cap but thought I’d ask everyone before I started removing and replacing caps. Funny too, but if that patch hadn’t worked... I probably would’ve gutted the board and thrown the rest right back into that dumpster.:lol:

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  7. 2 Headed Goat

Choice! Re the dodgy looking cap, yeah, see what others chime in with. You probably know you can get the schematic from Peavey... online I believe.

Pasta Player likes this.
  8. Pasta Player

Thanks, found that schematic last week. Fabricated a new grille and built a footswitch for it yesterday.
    All good now except for that lead channel gain hiss. Perhaps this too shall pass?

Bandit.png

FSLove.png

9. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Nice job. Congrats!

Pasta Player likes this.
  10. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Cool score, congrats.

Pasta Player likes this.
  11. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

IME... that is normal operation of these amps. Stay away from the added gain switches. The lead channel itself should provide more than enough overdrive without engaging the "gain" switch.

The magic of these amps is in the clean channel... extremely good platforms for pedal boards.

The send/returns on these amps use shorting jacks that can lose contact without a good cleaning. When they do, no sound is produced... or sound becomes intermittent. The "patch" is the quickest and easiest method to remedy this... and is a very reliable fix.

Whenever I see an older Peavey in the classifieds that "has issues" I know this is most likely the problem. Most people give up on them, sell them cheap, or give their amps away (or drop them in a dumpster) not knowing how simple the fix is.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    rangercaster and Pasta Player like this.
  12. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Great find on that amp! I paid $20 for a Studio Pro 40 that suffered from "No Output". Took it home, inserted a patch shorty into the FX jacks and it instantly came to life. Took the amp apart and cleaned all of the jacks and pots and no need to use the patch cable afterwards.

rangercaster and Pasta Player like this.
  13. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The hiss is the nature of this particular beast. It is what it is.

LGOberean and Pasta Player like this.
  14. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I got my Backstage Plus for $20 plus shipping off ebay. I bought it as a living room amp and it's turned out to be a regular gigging amp with pedals. It's small and light and doesn't take up much space.

Pasta Player likes this.
  15. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Score! Nice cleanup job too looks fantastic!

Pasta Player likes this.
  16. Luthier Vandros

Luthier Vandros Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Looks GREAT! You can find some quieter opamps, but as said, it is what it is.

Pasta Player likes this.
  17. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Looks terrific! If you can live with the hiss or without the lead channel go with it. Besides, if you play loud enough you only hear the his in the empty spots. :D

Pasta Player likes this.
  18. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Mr. Harper beat me to it. I've haven't owned that particular Bandit, but I have owned teal stripe Peavey amps (Envoy 110 and Studio Pro 110), as well as the next iteration/TransTube badged Envoy 110 and Studio Pro 112, and they all had some hiss on the Gain channel. But I play mostly clean, and when I do go for gain, it's just a bit of grit. So I'd set both the "Supersat" and "Post" controls on the Lead channel down low, and made it work for me.

Pasta Player likes this.
  19. Pasta Player

Thanks LG (and Mr. Harper) I’ll probably do the same with the Supersat and Post controls. Yet my head is very hard… and I will likely replace some caps “just to see / hear” if there’s any difference. And I might even get into the opamps - changing them to OPA2134A chips (as suggested by Bill Moore & Luthier Vandros) …as time goes by.

I do appreciate the input.

*And as a fun side note… there are times when I might appear very much like your recent power failure pic. (i.e. “Haute Codger Couture Club”) I haven’t purchased a razor in years.:cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.