NAD and Amp Backup Plan?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by ReggiedaDog, Sep 2, 2019.

1. ReggiedaDog

ReggiedaDog Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

A few weeks ago, after selling a Helix and Powercab, I picked up a Rivera DR II which I liked at first but started to find the sound a little harsh. Then a buddy offered to sell me his Lonestar Special and I loved it. It now resides proudly in my music room. Quite simply one of the best amps Ive played IMHO and one that I could happily gig with without any pedals if I ever needed to.

However Ive been thinking about a backup (this is NOT a comment on MB reliability I ain’t going there- I was considering this anyway) because my new band is playing some pro gigs where if something goes wrong I will need a quick fix within minutes on stage.

I was wondering what others do? My options are
    1) Keep the Rivera DR II as a second amp/spare, they are worth £500 on used market but it would be nice to use this cash (and the space in my garage/back of stage)

2) Sell the DRII but buy something else that is a basic pedal platform (HRD maybe) for around £300? Still space issues though

3) HX Stomp- until recently was using a Helix so familiar with it, and I can run my pedalboard into it and just use the amp/speaker emulations straight into FOH- again around £350 not always keen on FOH sounds though

4) Bearing in mind this is something I hope to never use, get something really cheap that will get me through the gig, Joyo/GT8/Tech 21 etc etc

Suggestions/Thoughts/Anecdotes etc etc all welcome

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ifallalot and gridlock like this.
  2. ReggiedaDog

ReggiedaDog Tele-Meister

Sorry should have said about sound- my band is I suppose a Pop covers band, I switch from acoustic to electric a lot and current electric is a Tele, but I may be getting a Gretsch as well for clean ‘strummy’ tones. There are only two or three songs currently where I need a lot of drive.

3. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

Have the Lone Star gone over by a tech and replace any parts that look suspect. The likelihood of the amp going down in the middle of a gig are pretty small (unless, of course you aren't carrying a backup) so I think I'd carry a Joyo/Tech21 direct solution. The sound wouldn't be your favorite, but the audience isn't likely to notice. MUCH less to lug around than a whole other amp. On this side of the pound, a lot of people are liking the Joyo American Sound- dirt cheap backup plan.

LuthRavin, nojazzhere and ReggiedaDog like this.
  4. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

I wouldn’t keep an amp I don’t like, too expensive. I have a zoom ms-50g on my board that i use for reverbs and a tuner, then a patch with an amp sim I can pull up in a pinch. Honestly, to most listeners the vibroverb patch sounds just as good as my tweed vibrolux but I love the tubes.

Before the zoom I used a joyo American sound as a backup, but the zoom gave me more function in a smaller footprint.

5. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

I´m using the Magnum 44 from EHX as backup with my pedalboard (dirt pedal, delay). Small solidstate amp in pedalsize with 44 watts. It sounds ok and you can use the speakers of your amp so no need for a pa solution.

6. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Congrats on owning a beautiful amp and great sounding amp. I miss my big-blue Lonestar Classic.

If you’re not happy with the Rivera, sell it. Your backup should be able to cover your tone needs.

There are plenty of good sounding 15-30 watt cheap amps out there. Maybe a used Orange Crush 35 or a Marshall DSL?

7. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic

My experience with Mesa Boogie was short, because of constant bad solder joints. Was it because of travel and rough handling, I don't think so, Not a fan.

8. ReggiedaDog

ReggiedaDog Tele-Meister

I may have another solution- I have a Blues Cube Hot that I use sometimes for mainly for home practice- I have just seen that it has a line out but Ive never tried it.

9. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

I carry one of the Vox MV50 AC amps as back up to my gigging amp. These things get seriously loud and have a great sound, the clean version is also good if you use pedals. I used mine at a couple of practices with a full band and loud drummer, handled it no problem through a Mesa 1x12'' cab. Cost about $150 and carry it in your leads bag no problem, well worth a look.

10. LuthRavin

LuthRavin Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I put a TON of faith in my Tech 21sansamp Guitar2..let my main amp burn to the ground..as long as I have that Tech21 in my bag..zero issues..I'm totally sold on it!!

11. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

I carry a VHT Special 6 head as my back up. We mic our amps no matter the venue, so if my main amp were to ever go down I can use that run into to the cab. It's light, small, and sounds great. It wouldn't hang with my current band without a mic, but I've gigged it unmiced enough with smaller bands that I have no doubts about its ability to do the job I need.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

12. ReggiedaDog

ReggiedaDog Tele-Meister

These Sansamp thingies- so could I run my pedalboard into it then straight into the desk?

13. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

I use a fly rig cali – gives you fender and boogie tones + reverb + boost + delay. I sometimes use it as a backup (honestly I mostly use just the sans amp-section) and sometimes I don't even bother to bring an amp for my "funk" band.

14. ReggiedaDog

ReggiedaDog Tele-Meister

So of course I get home today and can’t get a sound out of the bloody amp. Looks like a pre amp issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

+1, these small Vox MV50 amps are really good and useful and very easy to carry.

16. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

You're getting good advice on backup plans. But I have to ask, When is the DRII harsh? Are you having it break up? Or its not liking your pedals? A DRII should be relatively smooth, maybe even smoother breakup than a Lonestar Special at lower volumes. Not enough headroom? Has it seen a tech lately?

17. ReggiedaDog

ReggiedaDog Tele-Meister

I’m probably being a bit unfair to it to be honest, compared to many amps it sounds stellar. It was serviced in the store before I bought it. I’ve always played deluxe reverbs and maybe I want a change for a bit. However I did find it harsh (even on the clean Channel with no pedals) and then muddy if I tried to dial it out.

18. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Quilter micro block is my new backup.

19. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Beautiful amp.

How's the clean headroom? I'm waffling between one of these and a Fillmore 50 (among other amps)

20. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Holic

I know that in 5 watt mode,there have been problems with the LSS blowing the tube rectifier and taking out other parts also.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.