NAD Ampeg Rocket Bass RB-115

68Telebass

Friend of Leo's
Well, six weeks later…it finally came..

719817FD-B9A5-4E8B-A8DA-A30F4230A95E.jpeg

Plugged it in today. Took a cautious test drive.

2F60BE7C-610D-411B-9E5C-8C68D7040649.jpeg

First off- it looks stunning. The diamond pattern embossed tolex/vinyl is a nice touch- combined with the silver grille cloth, it looks like the old B15s and portaflex cabs from the 50-60s. Paired with that 2017 Classic 60s Jazz bass with the chrome makes me think of Motown’s Hitsville USA!:cool:

EQ flat, SGT off, volume from 2-4. Stayed mostly on neck pickup, tone about 5. Very Nice!! Great, warm sound- engaged Ultra-High- not too high, just adds some definition; would be great for a “dark” room, sound wise. Engaged the SGT just for a bit- can use as a gain boost by keeping grit at 0, and using the level knob to add the boost. Grit sounded OK, but I really wasn’t focused on that yet.
Opened volume to about halfway- NICE now some air was moving- it sounded great- lots of Ampeg low end, and with that Ultra High circuit, it sounded pretty balanced for my living room (I have a high ceiling in our den).

B2774DD5-AE33-4059-B729-E7711F711071.jpeg

Aux in is nice- have to control level at the source (my iPhone), so carefull starting it up!! Real nice to pump some music or backing tracks/metronome through- Max requested Sweet, so we blasted “Little Willy” through it- way cool!!:cool:

more to follow- Carl

howlin

Tele-Afflicted
Congrats! If gigging was an option in my world I'd love to have one of these. When I was gigging I played thru the Micro VR w/the 2x10 cabinet and after the speakers were broken in that thing sounded very impressive. I had a TC Electronics 1x15 combo running a MarkBass booster pedal, and actual MarkBass and an Aguilar plus a few others in the past and they all were great but the Micro VR held its own in the tone comparison and in some ways out performed the others mostly due to my preference for a rootsier sound. Enjoy!

68Telebass

Friend of Leo's
Very nice!How do you like that Ampeg SVT-212AV cab i see in the picture?I am thinking it would be great for home use.Next to the couch in the living room.How is it at low volumes?

Actually that’s the 100W rated 210 cabinet from the “Micro CL”. That along with jonesing for a 15” bass cab pushed me towards the RB-115.

100W with the RB-115 alone- should be able to handle 85-90% of my live situations. Maybe all of them; that DI out may cover anything else!

But in an outdoor live situation (block party, Flagstaff, AZ summer Heritage Square show)

that extension cabinet will be able to handle the 100W ext. out from the RB-115 unleashing it’s full 200W:cool:.

Here is the Micro CL.

132183D8-4472-4375-9FD1-442AB1B91235.jpeg
B77C5319-B2EE-4BD2-BEA3-D0798EFB3DC0.jpeg

pretty nice, 100W, it gets loud, and sounds good- can hang at practice, and most gigs- we have a drummer, but play mostly folk, country and some rock. (REM, Journey, umm ok, not much rock :().

Had to sell my Mesa/Boogie Diesel 115 when I moved out west- I miss the sound- you know you’re playing bass when a good signal is going through a nice 15” cab IMHO;)

So, that’s what that cab is, and a bit of backstory to the Rocket Bass 115. I’m pretty happy so far! :)

68Telebass

Friend of Leo's
Very niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. I especially like the one with the head and cab though. LOL.

Those rockets are light like the rumbles though. Which is good.

Yes! That Micro CL was first foray into Ampeg. Really nice!! It hangs at block parties, and did do a Flagstaff summer square concert. As I mentioned- i really missed my Mesa 15 cab, sooo- no brainer for me going RB-115!

The 112 100W should handle most anything anyone would need, and has the effects loop AND DI. Nice!

Here I am being goofy at Staff Appreciation at our small clinic! That’s my Squier longscale Jaguar P/J with the stacked knobs…and the Micro CL :p:cool:

F986097F-FDB2-4010-A191-97C6F2D2F00F.jpeg

Last edited:

FortyEight

Tele-Afflicted
FANCY!!!! Nice hat!!!! Looking good man. I gotta get me some new glasses that don't slip. Or something. When I sing in the country band I always gotta push em up after singing. And on some songs that's hard. LOL. Plus I need bifocals. Grrrrrrrrr..... LOL.

Yeah my old Gen II rumble 100 has an effects loop too. I haven't used it yet though. LOL.

68Telebass

Friend of Leo's
FANCY!!!! Nice hat!!!! Looking good man. I gotta get me some new glasses that don't slip. Or something. When I sing in the country band I always gotta push em up after singing. And on some songs that's hard. LOL. Plus I need bifocals. Grrrrrrrrr..... LOL.

Yeah my old Gen II rumble 100 has an effects loop too. I haven't used it yet though. LOL.

Thanks! As I say- “If you can’t PLAY the part, LOOK the part!” :p

Get some “Chums” for the glasses, they have a bead at back that cinch to keep on face. I used them whitewater rafting. here are mine poolside as I type this!:cool:

image.jpg
and yeah- yeah, bifocals… welcome to getting older- the alternative sucks:oops:!

Last edited: