NAD almost a week ago! Lil Dawg Champster!

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by gobi_grey, Mar 5, 2018.

1. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Holic

My Lil Dawg Champster arrived Tuesday. Stock 4 ohm 8" speaker. Jim said it can run an 8 ohm load as well so I can tap it through a 1×12 cab. I've been playing on it all week, trying out speakers and tubes. What a cool little amp! I've been wanting to get that Champ sound forever and I finally have it! It screams raw dirty, honking blues like nothing else.
    Running it through a 1×12 gives a tad more bass. Not much though and it doesn't seem any louder to me. Maybe with an efficient 4 ohm 12" speaker? I dunno. I might try that at some point but for now I'm just digging this thing at bedroom(really loud bedroom) levels.
    It sounds best to me fully cranked with wide open controls on my tele. It doesn't take much tone roll of and the amp dies down and losses most of the dirt even full throttle. Having a little more gain on tap might not be a bad thing but at least you can still slam out full chords at max volume and not have it turn to mush which it would do if there was any more gain. It might still do that with hot humbuckers though. Running it below about 9 on the dial is pretty dull sounding. I wouldn't use this amp for cleans but I've got other amps for that. This thing just wants to scream so scream it shall.
    Fits right in next to my 5e3.
    20180301_014009.jpg

uriah1, Treynor, Mike Eskimo and 4 others like this.
  2. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

Looks fantastic ! Glad you are enjoying it !

gobi_grey likes this.
  3. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

A Lil Dawg or two are on my wish list.

Jakeboy likes this.
  4. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    NICE! Run it through a 2X10 or 2X12 that matches the ohms it is looking for and I bet you'll hear a big difference. Mis-matching ohms even if it won't distroy the amp changes the efficiency/etc.

gobi_grey likes this.
  5. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

Nice amps and nice fat necked teles!

gobi_grey likes this.
  6. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

I have 4 Dawgs and have been using them since the beginning. Congrats on your Champster. They sound so great and they record wonderfully.

gobi_grey likes this.
  7. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Holic

Still exploring this amp. I've never played a 5f1 before I got this Champster. Never really played through an 8 inch speaker either. I kind of knew what to expect from all the classic records it's on and what I've heard from youtube demos but actually playing through one is quite nice.
    There's not much to explore at first glance. It almost seems disappointingly simple but somehow it's simplicity makes this amp complex and somewhat confusing. It's clean tones are not the usual cleans. That threw me off a little at first. It lacks the detailed clarity most larger amps have but instead the notes blare like horns and blend together like a piano. It seems to favor the bridge pickup which makes it bark with an aggressive attack, especially when it's on the edge of breakup. That gives this amp some exceptional dynamics and expression. It's unique in that it's clean but not clean at the same time. It lacks detail but it creates it's own version of "detail" and totally owns it. It's aggressive yet smooth in a smokey way. It bites and snarls when you push it. Cool thing is, it's the PERFECT tone for a song I've been working on forever. I haven't been able to nail the sound this song needed with my other amps/pedals. Nothing seemed to do the trick. I happened to play that song through this amp and BAM! That's it!!!
    Man, what a fun little amp!

8. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

I have Dawg DLux and would live to have a WonderDawg. Jim is a great builder and a heckuva nice guy to boot.

9. Jagger44

Jagger44 TDPRI Member

I'm a huge fan of low watt all tube amps....the fender champ 600 with mods is my fav of all, along with the simple Princeton, or simple blackface amps. I've come across these custom made LilDawg amps made by a very nice gentleman and his amps appear to be amazing.....anyone be able to tell me how much these amps are? Like the simple Champster.....how much would I be looking at for this, or the smaller 10-15 watt amps? I mean are they super custom hence carry a heavy pricetag?? Cause DAMN! I LOVE EM!

10. cincyguitarplay

cincyguitarplay Tele-Meister

Congrats on the LIL Dawg....great amp!

11. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Here's the website:

http://www.littledawgamps.com/

12. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Holic

Congrats on the very cool amp!

I'm a D-Lux owner and a big fan. I also have two other amps and other cabs. I use the Weber Z-Matcher to properly match my amps to my cabs. I highly recommend it.

https://www.tedweber.com/gadgets/z-matcher

13. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Afflicted

I know how you feel. I recently picked up a Tweed Champ clone with a 8 and it’s easily the best small amp I’ve owned.

14. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Congrats! I don't own a Lil Dawg (yet), but I've chatted w/Jim, really cool cat!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.