NAD AC30C2x!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by AJBaker, Aug 30, 2021.

1. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I've been wanting an AC30 for a while. Fire years, my go to amp for band, duo and even solo gigs has been my AC15. For solo gigs, I've even used the other channel for vocals, which works surprisingly well!

I was actually hoping to find the normal greenback version, since it sounds great in my AC15, and I don't necessarily need the extra volume from the alnico blues. Also, I often get to let my amps breathe, and I'm worried I might break them some day.
    But this amp turned up second hand for about 750$, so I grabbed it. I reckoned I could always sell the blues separately if I wanted to, but I'll give them a go until then.

It looks to be in ok shape, with the tolex slightly beat up in places but otherwise all right.
    One downside is that the back panel is only held on with two screws. Apparently, the previous owner forgot to put back the other 15 odd screws last time time he opened it, and they've since disappeared. (BTW: anyone know where I can find the same screws and washers?)
    Also, one of the tube retainers seems to be missing.

Otherwise, the only other disadvantage I see for now is the ridiculous weight, but I was expecting that.

I've got some gigs coming up, I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do!

20210829_212304.jpg 20210829_214856.jpg
    IMG-20210829-WA0002.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    uriah1, as5431, codamedia and 7 others like this.
  2. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Congrats.

3. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

nice price on a great amp, especially on your side of the Atlantic. If you're turning that thing up to where you're worried about the speakers, you're playing loud! I wouldn't worry about it, just let 'er rip.

4. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I do get to play loud sometimes :).

Especially at solo gigs, I might use my PA just for vocals, and use the amp for what it was designed for: amplifying the guitar for the audience. My AC15 sounds great, but quickly goes into distortion. It will be interesting to see what the big one does.

Still, I wonder if a set of greenbacks might also work out well for me. On my AC15, I thought they sounded fine. Plus, if I sell the blue speakers, I could probably get 500-600$ for them!

5. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Still thinking about keeping or selling the blues. I was actually hoping to come across the normal greenback version, since I really like the sound in my AC15, and I didn't need the extra expense of the blues. However, I got lucky with the price on this one.

My concern: if I crank this thing, will the speakers blew up? That would be a shame given how expensive they are. Am I needlessly worried?

Sell the blues and get greenbacks? Or something similar like an Emi GB12?

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Great stuff!, congratulations!

7. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

You hear so many rumours and tales about the AC30, here's what I've noticed so far:

- Internet fact: they're LOUD!!! Especially with alnico blues!

==> Yes, it's loud, but it feels like a 30w amp. A loud 30w amp, but still a 30w amp. Definitely louder than the AC15, with much more bass and headroom, but it's still a 30w amp. Cranked, it's moving a LOT of air, but it CAN actually be cranked on a stage where you want the amp to do more of the heavy lifting.
    On the other hand, for comparison, a Twin Reverb cannot be cranked on a normal stage (as far as I'm concerned). It has magnitudes more volume and headroom in my experience.

- Internet fact: they're HEAVY!!! Especially with alnico blues!

==> Yup. Ridiculously heavy, especially for a 30w amp. I'm enjoying the sound and headroom, but I worry that I might need to sell it some day to not end up putting out my back.
    I find it incredible how inefficient that old technology is: this amp weighs about 33kg and it puts out 30w into two 15w speakers (and produces about 100w of heat, I'm guessing). On the other hand, the modern (and cheap) 18kg class D stage monitor next to me can put out 1000w! Incredible how technology has evolved.
    That being said, there is a reason I like that old inefficient technology: it sounds great.

- Internet fact: Alnico blues are otherworldly good sounding speakers, especially in a Vox!

==> They sound good, but to be honest I don't hear a huge difference or improvement over the greenback in my AC15. I might still sell or trade the blues for a pair of greenbacks to get some cash back, and shave a little weight off the amp.
    (If someones nearby to me, we can discuss maybe trading 1 blue for 2 greens).

Tim S likes this.
  8. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

IMO... You won't shave enough weight off the amp to really notice....

Have you considered trying ONE Blue and ONE Green... or a "Green Voiced" speaker with similar sensitivity to the Blue.
    Having both is a great option.... they compliment each other really well and sound techs can mix/match at the PA. The "Blue" is such an iconic tone with the AC30, I'm not sure I would give it up so quickly.

Every AC30 I've played, including my own (A CC1 model) will eat a Twin for lunch. In fairness, they don't stay "perfectly clean" to the same volume, but certainly clean enough for my needs (Brad Paisley type clean.... a little edge)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  9. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

That seems incredible to me, how does that physically work? A twin is a 80-120w amp, how can a 30w amp with the same speaker surface be louder? Are the twin's speakers that much less efficient?

10. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Wattage alone is not a good way to measure how loud something can be... EG: Double wattage does not translate to double volume. It's only a 3db difference which is marginal and easily consumed by speaker efficiency.

IMO... a Twin "fills a room" while an AC30 CUTS through a room. It's a different perception. As I say earlier... clean for clean the Twin will be louder... but "for me" the AC30 stays clean enough, keeps up, and CUTS through much more than a Twin does.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.