NAD... a D-50!

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Hey all! I actually posted this on the D-50 club thread but I think there must be something wrong with that thread or something i.e. I experienced some "oddities" when I replied to it. I'm not sure many people saw it.

Anyway, I just landed a super deal on one of these babies, on the used market, and I couldn't pass it up. My question is: Is there anything I need to know about this amp i.e. any mods that should be done to improve upon it, or is it pretty much golden strait out of the box? Also I'm curious to know what speaker cab configs do ya'll like with it e.g. 1x12, 2x12 etc.? Now that these have been out for a bit, what do ya'll think of em stock? Thanks all!

FenderLover

Poster Extraordinaire
Congrats. I thought those would be more popular on this forum, but they seemed to pass. Haven't heard too much about mods, but I'd play it and listen for yourself if it needs help.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Congrats. I thought those would be more popular on this forum, but they seemed to pass. Haven't heard too much about mods, but I'd play it and listen for yourself if it needs help.

Thanks man, good point. Yeah you're right, come to think of it I haven't seen many people talk about em out here. Which is rather surprising to me cause it's a heck of a lot of amp for the $ IMO. :confused:

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Is this the amp you now have? If so, congrats! As with any newly acquired amp, Inwould 2ant to know the voltages and bias numbers. I like to know what it is I have acquired and establish a baseline for future reference.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Is this the amp you now have? If so, congrats! As with any newly acquired amp, Inwould 2ant to know the voltages and bias numbers. I like to know what it is I have acquired and establish a baseline for future reference.

Yes sir, Wally! That's the baby I got comin'! In fact, I just got the shipping update that it should be at my doorstep tomorrow ;) Thanks for the input! Could you give me some advice about how one goes about checking such things? I suppose I could look it up, but figure it's best to ask you if you don't mind

EDIT: Acutally, nevermind Wally. Dumb question. I'll look all this up and appreciate the info! Thanks!
:)

Last edited:

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
1643227505228.png

MilwMark

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I don't understand modding an amp I guess. If you don't like it, move on and get one you do like.

These are great stock. Make sure you got the footswitch or you may not have gotten a great deal. It's essential in Dumble circuits.

It has quirks and takes some learning (like all Dumble circuits). Blackstar makes a lightweight vertical closed 212 that is a great match.

Last edited:

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Hey all! I actually posted this on the D-50 club thread but I think there must be something wrong with that thread or something i.e. I experienced some "oddities" when I replied to it. I'm not sure many people saw it.

Anyway, I just landed a super deal on one of these babies, on the used market, and I couldn't pass it up. My question is: Is there anything I need to know about this amp i.e. any mods that should be done to improve upon it, or is it pretty much golden strait out of the box? Also I'm curious to know what speaker cab configs do ya'll like with it e.g. 1x12, 2x12 etc.? Now that these have been out for a bit, what do ya'll think of em stock? Thanks all!

There's a thread on The Amp Garage about D-50 mods: https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34878

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
These are great stock. Make sure you got the footswitch or you may not have gotten a great deal. It's essential in Dumble circuits.

Excellent man! This is what I was hoping for. Agree, if it ain't broke don't fix it ;) I was just curious if there were things that people liked to do to em etc. Yep, it most certainly has the pedal coming with it. As I understand it, they were wired wierd from the factory i.e. something about the LED light not coming on right or something. So... I'll investigate that when I get it. I'm hoping its already been done for me :)

There's a thread on The Amp Garage about D-50 mods

Thanks man! I'll check it out. I'm pretty sure I'll like it as it is. Just sort of curious to know what others may have done ;) Appreciate it!

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Congrats! I’ve been debating getting one of those or one of the very many Ceriatone Overtone models. If you got a deal, that’s a no-brainer.

Here’s a link to a mod thread to start you down that rabbit hole
https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34878&sid=b11aa477156af466015dc2899ddf2618

Right on man! Yeah I seriously considered one of those Ceriatones or a D-50 for a long time, and was on the verge of pulling the trigger on one or the other, and then out of the blue this D-50 popped up for a deal I couldn't refuse. I seriously doubt I'll be doing any mods to it, cause based on what I know of em I'm sure it will be plenty enough D style for me, but it's always interesting to know what others do to theirs. Thanks for the link!

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Thanks for the link!
Well, you thank me today. Down the road, when you’re deep into snubber cap values and matching component values to different Dumble build numbers you may end up cursing me. :p

Please post your thoughts and experience with your D-Fifty. I’m not the only Dumble-curious person here. When I first got here, there was a learning curve I had to overcome regarding the vintage Fender amp circuits. The Dumble world takes that all up a notch or two (at least).

The only nugget I gleaned thru reading Dumble circuit threads is that you won’t necessarily replicate a Dumble’s tone and performance by cloning it with the same components. The original amps were hand-tweaked to work with the *measured* component values (as opposed to the advertised values). Some say that’s why Dumble could never mass-produce his amps — the builds were too labor intensive. And some say that’s why no two of his amps are identical — each was tuned by ear to achieve an end-goal with available parts.

As for all the clones out there, I think it comes down to two questions:
How far from 100% replication can you tolerate? and
How much are you willing to spend?

Last edited:

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Please post your thoughts and experience with your D-Fifty. I’m not the only Dumble-curious person here.

Thanks man and will do for sure! It's supposed to be at my door by tomorrow afternoon, and will assuredly be plugging her in and trying her out through my Celestion Gold alnico cab ;)

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter