NAD! 76 Fender Deluxe Reverb!

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Mudman32, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

Found this in a small shop in Vermont today! Owner had it on consignment, knew nothing about it. Had it marked wicked high. Offered about half and took it home. It sounds good right now but definitely needs a tune up. Off to my tech Sunday. Wanted one of these for ages, just hadn’t been able to get one at the price I wanted. This one is all original tubes, speaker, etc.

stevemc, dalezjc, SoK66 and 24 others like this.
  2. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Awesome! Enjoy it!

3. Larmo63

Larmo63 Friend of Leo's

Sweet score.

Ge back to us on how it sounds after the service.

Mudman32 likes this.
  4. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

Definitely will. I’ve only played it for a couple of minutes to confirm that everything works. I think the jack for the tremolo was dirty, because nothing worked, then it was faint, and now it’s proper after putting the foot switch in a couple of times. The reverb sounds great, but isn’t isolated well - any bump to the cab, even changing out cords, will set it off. Hope that it can be managed as other than that, the verb is fantastic.

5. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nice-I've got a 79 that is a great amp

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Super cool!

7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Congrats.....and any movement or vibration of the cab should set off the reverb.

Mudman32 likes this.
  8. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

CLEAN! The amp, not necessarily the sound. Nice acquisition!

9. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

It’s just over the top compared to the Reissue or even the SF princeton reverb I used to own. Adjusting a knob or plugging in will set it off for a couple of seconds. I looked over the tank and the springs all look fine, same for the solder joints. It’s just a sensitive unit. I really like the quality of sound it produces though. It’s more lush than the modern reissue if that makes sense.

Wally likes this.
  10. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good chunk of elbow grease and I don’t feel like I need a tetanus shot to change settings on the amp any more. I didn’t want to send it to my tech completely farm fresh, so it is vacuumed out and cleaned of the worst gunk. Probably 1/16” or more of grime on the inside of the amp. It’s been sitting for a very long time. It was put on consignment with a ‘93 or so strat plus? The one with the lace sensors. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the last time this thing was used.

stevemc likes this.
  11. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

It’s off to the shop today! I do have to confess I’ve been rolling the die the last few days and playing it. Really enjoying it so far.

12. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

I feel for you. I'm so sorry for your acquisition, it's just the best sounding, most versatile tube amp ever made. May you find the peace you so desperately seek.

Mudman32 likes this.
  13. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

A Strat plus with Lace Sensors.
    The guy probably quit playing in '93. :)

14. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

I wouldn’t be surprised. The pickups showed some wear and grime, but the guitar itself was petty clean.

BobbyZ likes this.
  15. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

Amp is on the bench! It’s never been serviced and several caps are starting to leak. I also thought the wiring looks pretty tidy, I know the cbs stuff can be hit or miss.

Does anyone know the mallory date codes? Looks like a lot of the innards are from 1973 and 1974 if I’m reading it correctly. Funny they were 2-3 years old before they even got into the amp. Also crazy that the parts have a 20% swing in tolerance brand new.

Photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the transformers are 76

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Wally

Mudman32, the electrolytics there date to the 36th week of 1973. The transformers make itm’interesting’, ime. The PT dates to the 32nd week of either ‘66 or ‘76. The reverb driver and the OT date to the 31st week of either ‘66 or ‘76. What doe the pot dates show you. What is the serial number on the chassis? What is the speaker date? We used to date these old amps by these numbers...except for the serial number. Now, there are serial numbers charts due to the work that was done to gather such information and create the serial number chart. Search ‘gig jaguar.com’ and you will find six articles entitled ‘ Dating Fender Amps’. The first five were published in 2000 by 20th Century Guitar magazine. Valuable information in those articles. Knowledge of that info can save a person a lot of money if they get into the vintage amp market, ime.

17. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

Hi Wally,

Amp is at my tech right now, so I can’t remember the exact serial number, and he didn’t photograph pot codes for me. Serial number was correct for 1976, and the oxford speaker was dated to 76 or 66 as well.

Wally likes this.
  18. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

A tight crop on the bias adjustment pot looks like the solder covers the eia code, but leaves a date code of 29th week of 76 visible.

Wally likes this.
  19. Wally

Okay...so a 1976. It is rare to see transformers dated all together along with filter caps all dated together with all of those dates being 2 1/2-3 1/2 years earlier than the chassis date. Odd things happened.....

20. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

Yeah, I was really surprised to see that too. The bias cap dates to 74.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.