NAD: 65 PRRI Limited Edition 1x12 Tweed

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by beninma, Jul 26, 2021.

1. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Huh.. now there are two ~15 watt tube amps in my basement. I actually got this PRRI last week but have been working through things in my head and waited to share anything.

I've had the Orange Rocker 15 for years, always been super happy with it's crazy ability to have endless drive at any volume level. But I've never gotten along with the Natural channel. It's very brash and always requires tons of guitar tone knob adjustment that has to change as the volume level goes up. It'd be a way better amp if it'd been designed with a 2nd tone stack for the natural channel and had just been "clean & dirty" instead of "Natural & Dirty". Maybe a speaker change would help me, but at this point I'm not sure if I"ll try that, or if I really need/want two amps. That natural channel is really tricky to use with drive Pedals too, the two channels respond so crazy different that it's almost like you need to dedicated different pedals for each channel. There are a very few of them that can be dialed up to sound good with both without bending down to adjust the pedal.

I've always wanted a Princeton, when I started taking lessons I'd go to a school and my guitar teacher had a vintage Princeton in his office and it always blew me away. I went and tried as many Princetons as I could the last month or so. I really loved all the 12" ones I tried. I could easily have ended up with the Bordeaux one GC had versus this one. But this one was available. So far it just seems like such a goldilocks amp. It's so ridiculously easy to dial in, it is so easy to make it work with seemingly any pedal, and I love it's dynamics and compression versus the Orange. The Princeton seems to compress and do just the right thing when you want it to. At least when played Clean, the Orange is much trickier, it can be ice-picky and too strident/powerful when you dig in clean. Stuff like rhythm patterns with 16th note strums are just so easy and comfortable on the Princeton in comparison.

Anyway this thing is awesome, as if anyone needed to hear that again. It doesn't really break up at all, it must be cleaner than the 10" ones, though I haven't tried turning it up beyond 8 so far. I'll be more dependent on drive pedals, but it's super easy to use it at low volumes to the point the power scaling on the Orange doesn't seem important anymore vs pedals with the Princeton. The real Spring Reverb is amazing. The reverb pedals I've owned have all had a bright sizzly tails compared to the real thing. The Tremolo is amazing too, and I even had a Fender Tre-Verb which models the Princeton. The real thing is way better. Only gotcha is I use a Boss RC-10r heavily for practice.. the drums on the RC-10r don't sound great run into the Princeton unless you keep the Reverb on the amp dialed way down and the Tremolo off, the FX loop on the Orange takes care of that issue far more effectively. Boss thought of many solutions to that issue though as the RC-10r has a second output and you can configure guitar out one and drums out the other.

I don't like the Vintage dual pedal Fender ships with the Princeton.. I may look for something more pedal board friendly that allows detaching the cable.

The photo is misleading due to angle, the Princeton is indeed wider than the Orange but not very much. Princeton is definitely a little heavier too, but not really enough to care about carrying it anywhere.

I played the Bordeaux limited edition as well with the Jenson P12Q. That version also sounded amazing. I'd have been super happy with that one too. I never found any place locally with a normal Black 10" 65 PRRI. I did try the Custom 68 PRRI, it was fine, but the one I found had tons and tons of hum compared to what I bought, and I didn't quite want the darker sound of that amp.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    uriah1, PeteWaller, Doyle and 2 others like this.
  2. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nice amp!

With the Orange 15, have you tried putting the Mater Volume on 10 and then using the GAIN volume as if it's a "master Volume" to raise and lower the level? Lots of great clean tones to be had there. I would start with the tones on 5 and then work subtractively from there to avoid there to avoid making the amp sound too saturated. Too much treble? Turn the treble knob down instead of raising the bass. That kind of thing.

Forget about the Natural channel. It really is only good for a few playing situations that some people may never encounter.

Then try the Orange through the 12" speaker in the Princeton. You'll be ruined!

3. Old Plank

Old Plank Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Congrats! great amp.

4. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

I have that same amp and love it! Congrats!

5. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I have a 2016 PRRI, 10" version, swapped out the the speaker to Celestion Gold and never looked back. I think that circuit just has a little mojo magic.

6. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Yah, I have tried using the Dirty channel on the Orange as a clean channel by setting the master volume high and the gain low. It actually can be setup to respond a lot more like the Princeton. Maybe it responds better due to running through all the preamp tubes.

But setting up the dirty channel on an Orange to be a clean channel seems wrong... like some metal/rock gods are going to burst in and wack me over the head and tell me to come to my senses. If I was going to run the dirty channel clean all the time as a base tone why bother with the Orange at all, it makes it having 2 channels pointless, and it mostly makes the built in attenuation pointless too. And don't get me wrong, there's a lot of music that sounds amazing going through that dirty channel when it's cooking.

Orange tube amps seem to be in short supply locally and the prices on used ones are pretty high, if I try to sell it I think it will be easy to get good money for it.

I probably will try running the Orange through the 12" speaker on the Princeton, but it might require a longer speaker cable. The Orange is a 16 Ohm speaker stock but it's extension jacks support 1x 8Ohm speaker too I think.

7. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Afflicted

I own one too and love it! Have fun!. Btw, My strat sounds best @ 7+ volume, tele @ 6+. Put a gain pedal in front and it will be Loud.

8. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Congrats! I've got the same one except my speaker has been changed to a Weber 12F150

9. Tarkus60

Tarkus60 Tele-Meister

Yes sir i have one also....my love! Fender.jpg

jwag and Hey_you like this.
  10. PeteWaller

PeteWaller Tele-Meister

I got the same amp but with 10" Jenson PQ Alnico speaker. Couldnt be happier!
    20210610_161409.jpg

jwag, 2L man and Hey_you like this.
  11. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

If I could get one of these in black with a 12” speaker, I’d sell my Helix LT in a heartbeat to fund it. Congrats!

dpzbatman79 likes this.
  12. Joeg59

Joeg59 NEW MEMBER!

I just picked up a used GC Bordeaux/wheat edition this weekend. Given the most price, I feel like I got a good deal. Original owner- a music/guitar teacher and jazz player- bought it a year ago and has only used it in home a handful of times. I was super stoked to find one on the used market.

I have noticed some of that bass rattle I’ve read about on a few forums and threads. Seems it’s not uncommon to the PRRI. It only seems to happen from open low e to f#, and only when the volume is up around 5 or the bass is jacked up. Any evidence of this with yours?

And to other posters, any experience or advice? I’m thinking it should be an easy fix, but I have no experience with DIY.

I will say that outside the slight rattle, I’m loving it. Beautiful tones and a wild step up from the NOS BJr I’ve been playing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.