NAD: 2014-ish Deluxe Reverb Reissue, with upgrades...

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
I have always known about the DRRI, played them in stores, but never had the need, yet, to get one for what they typically cost. But it was something I knew I would eventually get - just a matter to time, etc. Saw this one in a store that had been sitting there (hidden?) close to a year with no takers (figured something was wrong with it, but it appears to be just the area economy.) Fired it up, played it, sounded good, everything worked, has the foot switch, kick stands on the side, but they were asking $800 and I just didn't feel I could swing that with the CFO.

I peek in the back to see what speaker it has and there is a Celestion Gold - I look that up o_O - ok, I'm thinking I might have to figure this out - I ask them their best number, the guy checks the books and says $650.....done! And then my brain switches into high gear on how to explain this to the CFO - this was gonna be tough. I call her up, tell her I'm bringing it home and I have a plan to cover the cost :rolleyes: ). She gives me some rope. I bring it home, plug it in and play on it - I feel it changing my amplifier religion - such a great sound - ok, no way I can let this go....I figure out at this point its a 2014.

I'm currently playing a PRRI w/ a Bassbreaker 15 (Celestion G12M) and that combination is a great sound. The Deluxe is "different" and part of that I think is the Celestion Gold in there. I am going to swap the speaker for a GA-SC64 and bring it back into "normal" deluxe land. At that point, I think this will be my goto amp.

tempImageYLbBnN.png

tempImageB7rM5z.png

tempImageQAIgG9.png

tempImageVWQ5G5.png

Last edited:

dukewellington

Tele-Meister
Love the DR. I’m not typically enthusiastic about Celestions in Fenders but I played a DRRI with the Celestion Gold you have in yours and 100% that’s a keeper combination. I think it tightened things up a bit from what I expected out of a DR sound and sounded good. Congrats on your amp

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
I’m not typically enthusiastic about Celestions in Fenders but I played a DRRI with the Celestion Gold you have in yours and 100% that’s a keeper combination.

I am going to try the GA-SC64 speaker in it and see what that does - I am guessing it will stay that way and the Celestion will be sold. The Celestion does sound good and I could probably be happy with it, but my PRRI has the Allesandro in it and I really like what that speaker does, especially on the top end. It also make the CFO happier as that speaker purchase/sale is a net positive on the books.

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
I am going to swap the speaker for a GA-SC64 and bring it back into "normal" deluxe land. At that point, I think this will be my goto amp.

Well, I might not end on the Allesandro. I forgot I had a P12Q laying around that came out of my PRRI (12") which got a GA-SC64 about 6 months ago.

I tried the P12Q tonight and I don't not like it. It sounds good so far but I haven't been able to get the amp up to volume (5-7 or so) which is where I want to see it shine. It feels reserved compared to the Allesandro, and based on sensitivity alone, I think that makes sense. Maybe its not as open, but in the DRRI, it doesn't feel bright, like it did in the PRRI. Funny how that works.

Since the P12Q comes in the '64 Custom Deluxe Reverb, I want to give this a go and see if I am happy with it. I think I will be, but need to run it at volume before I am sure. I am also hoping it pushes the amp into breakup a bit faster than the Allesandro or Gold.

nic'o'caster

Tele-Afflicted
Since the P12Q comes in the '64 Custom Deluxe Reverb, I want to give this a go and see if I am happy with it. I think I will be, but need to run it at volume before I am sure. I am also hoping it pushes the amp into breakup a bit faster than the Allesandro or Gold.
The Jensen that is in the '64 CDR is the C12Q. It's not the best speaker out there, but it definitely shines in this amp. Ceramic magnet is more period/model correct !

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
The Jensen that is in the '64 CDR is the C12Q. It's not the best speaker out there, but it definitely shines in this amp. Ceramic magnet is more period/model correct !

I stand corrected - I misread the copy from Fender.

Keep the gold in there. That is part of the reason that it attracted you to it.

Oh, I think I was impressed with the value of the deal overall, but I have been wanting a DRRI for some time. I might switch back to the gold and see how it sounds again. When I switched to the GA-SC64, I thought it was a little tighter (less) in the low end and the highs were a bit sweeter, slightly less mids. When I was running the Gold at 7 or so on volume (at home,) its ability to cut through was evident - it had an edge to it that alone bugged me, but might serve well in a live situation.

Working on setting up my PRRI / DRRI pair off the pedal board and see how it sounds compared to what I had before (PRRI / Bassbreaker 15), which was a sound I rather enjoyed - those two amp complemented each other very well.

Refugee

Tele-Afflicted
You killing me. I had a D120F (??) something that looked like that from the 60s and I loved that speaker - had to sell it to get some cash - was a very sad day.
Now, here is an E120, which is indestructible. Pushed with a 100W Fender SFTR, 1976. Good grief these speakers can handle anything, rated at 300w. I am A Diehard Fender/JBL guy. Greatest sounding stuff, ever!

joe_cpwe

Tele-Afflicted
Great score, congrats.
I suspect that Gold speaker sounds pretty good, that's a pricey upgrade. I'd be figuring out other ways to make the CFO happy and keep it in there.

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
Great score, congrats.
I suspect that Gold speaker sounds pretty good, that's a pricey upgrade. I'd be figuring out other ways to make the CFO happy and keep it in there.

Yeah, I am thinking it might stay - gives me just a hint of marshall goodness between that amp and the PRRI. I had it up to 5 on volume at home (while the CFO was out) and holy glorious moly....it was loud and a great sound.

I do like the Allesandro, but I think I need to go for the gold, at least for a while.