NAD 1986 Fender Deluxe Reverb II (Rivera Era)

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by ReggiedaDog, Jul 30, 2019.

1. ReggiedaDog

ReggiedaDog Tele-Meister

So a while ago I bought a Helix and a Powercab and sold all of my gear. However after a moment of clarity last week I decided to sell the Helix and go back. I have always used DRRI’s so when I saw this going very cheap I pulled the trigger. It arrived today and I love it, in fact it has the best drive channel Ive ever heard in a Fender amp. I can see that being a new base tone for a few new projects. I love you Valves, lets never fight again...

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Cool amp, a Rivera era amp?

Congrats!

3. BramptonRob1958

BramptonRob1958 TDPRI Member

Great looking amp, and I bet it sounds even better than it looks! Amazing how "Moments of Clarity" return us to exactly the sweet sounding tones we've been searching for all along!

I had the same experience with my Twin Reverb...... wasted a whole lot of time and money searching because I was well searching! lol

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nice!

5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Congrats! The DRII is a neat package; and unlike the Rivera era Super Champ and Princeton Rev II, the DRII is a true two channel amp. That allows a bit more versatility in voicing those channels.

2 Headed Goat and telemnemonics like this.
  6. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Holic

I've got one and love it; as said, workable drive channel.

..made me buy a PRII lol (not as sweet)

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Interesting the difference between the PR and DR, I bought a PRII and tried to like it for the return period then brought it back to GC.

I didn't recap it but swapped tubes and speaker and never got a really good sound from it.

How would you compare the sound quality to a Prosonic?
    Aside from the three bias/ recto options, is it close in terms of two good sounds?

8. Wally

They are different amps. All of those Rivera era amps are based solidly in the AB80763 world and therefore the topography doesn’t resemble the 5F6A-based topography of the Pro Sonic. I have never owned a DRII....have only played through one for a while. What can be done in the DRII can be done in the Super Champ and the Prin Rev II, but the clean mode in the DRII can be voiced with the tone controls differently than can the other two since the DRII’s clean channel bass does not have to be run low to avoid mud in the higher gain channel. In the Sc and PRII there is a concern regarding the level of the bass in order to avoid bad results when going high gain.
    The Pro Sonic’s tone stack is farther down the chain and therefor one can do what one wants with the tones at any setting. This same difference exists between @ BF amp and a 5F6A type of circuit.
    FWIW, the PRII is much the same amp as the Super .champ but for the phase inversion, which is cathodyne in the SC and a long tail pair in the PRII. Odd isn’t it that the Super Champ is actually a hot rod Princeton Reverb while the PRII is closer to being a hot rod single channel DR????

Teleguy61 and telemnemonics like this.
  9. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

I have a Concert II, and it is an excellent amp.
    The cab is a little bulky, and it's kind of heavy, but it is a very well built piece of equipment, good quality parts.
    I think it sounds really good.
    I use the drive channel to add some mids, maybe a bit of edge, not heavy overdrive, and it works very well for that.
    They are good amps.

Wally likes this.
  10. Wally

The .concert and TR versions are very much larger versions of the DRII. For my purposes, the two big amps have to be very loud to get to working like I like them. Hey, I dime the gains on my Super Champ!!!!! I don’t beat on strings, though maybe I could turn the master volume down to 6-7?????

11. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

My SuperChamp is an amazing amp but I pretty much ignore the lead "channel" these days. I liked it back in my hair band days, though.
    Nowadays I think I can get a better lead tone by staying on its clean mode and then using a pedal such as a Klon wanna be like EHX Soul Food. Or for more
    distortion something like an MI Audio Crunch Box.

Also that way I can still have reverb, which I keep around 2 or 3 typically. (Reverb is lost in lead mode because the weird 6C10 tube is repurposed to help with
    the lead gain stack, I guess).

I like to stay on the clean mode but with the volume cranked to around 7 or higher (for weaker pickups) and MV up to at least 4 or so. For single coils I usually
    pull out on the treble pot in order to "pull for mids", and for humbuckers I usually leave that pot pushed in. That single push-pull feature is pretty cool because you can get either a more scooped classic BF tone, or you can get something with hotter mids, more like a tweed Bassman kind of tone. Mix and match with humbuckers/single coils depending on the sound you are going for.

lil scotty and jrblue like this.
  12. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

I like chris m.'s approach; let that amp do what it wants and rely on pedals to get you where you want to go. Why force the amp to work against type?

lil scotty likes this.
  13. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Meister

Congrats! Paul is my favorite amp designer.

14. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Just to clarify-- the "clean" mode on a Super Champ can get pretty darn raunchy when you crank it up. Just not in Marshall territory-- but really nice.
    Then when you have it near red line and then goose it with the right pedal-- lookout! Like pumping nitrous oxide into a quarter-miler.

15. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

The Concert and DR II share the same cabinet.

16. lil scotty

lil scotty Tele-Meister

That’s exactly how I run mine.

17. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Man, what a score! Congrats!

18. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

hehehe :):)

Digital is nice in the super tiny domain: micro amps that work on batteries; Yamaha THR etc...

They are really useful & killer as a bedroom amp; better than any 5F1 champ will ever be

But that's about it (for me)

19. Wally

Here is why I like tube amp distortion. A young fellow stopped. Y with his new high dollar overdrive/distortion pedal. We plugged it one of my Super ?Champs and gave it a run. Then, I turned that pedal off pedal and dialed in the gain mode in the amp....,he admitted that the use driven distortion was richer...and I had as much or more overdrive in the amp than his pedal could create.

Whatever a person has to use to get where they want to go is fine by me, but I always operate from an understanding of what can be done in the tube domain because I personally find tube harmonic structure more musical whether in clean or overdriven modes. Ommv.

20. Wally

The
    Concert 1x12 and 2 x 10 amps share the same cab as the DRII. There is also a 4x10 Concert that obviously does not use that small cab.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.