1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NAD - 1971 Silverface Twin Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Nozebleeds, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Nozebleeds

Nozebleeds TDPRI Member

I scored the bargain of a lifetime. Bought off an amazing jazz guitarist who has toured with George Benson.

While trolling marketplace I saw the listing and immediately contacted them to secure the amp for.... (drumroll)

[​IMG] $500 AUD!!

And it makes noise (beautiful noise not the crunchy bad one), it’s a bit rough around the edges but will clean up very nicely.

It was the most surreal experience of my life and it somehow doesn’t feel real.

it sounds great with my reverend at low volume (night time), tomorrow it’s heading off to the tech to do once over. It seems the tremolo does not work and there is some noise going on which hopefully can all be fixed

BobbyZ, Mouth, CV Jee Beez and 21 others like this.
  2. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

A healthy SFTR has a clean, room-filling, beautiful tone from 1 to 10 on the volume knob, although at 10 you might as well just go ahead and call the police, yourself.

Standard Tip: I know it's difficult, but unless it's had full service with capacitors within the last decade (and you've seen the receipt for the work and parts) don't turn it on again until it's been serviced. A shorted filter cap can take the power transformer along for the ride. It happens. Don't gamble that it won't.

Great score, and $500 AUD is cheap!

3. Nozebleeds

Nozebleeds TDPRI Member

Thanks for the great advice mate, yeah the seller had it turned on after it had sat in his garage for 15 years by the time that I showed up.

Honestly feel so blessed and it’s sooo good to play a real amp after using the Helix for a few years (still an amazing tool)

Telecastoff1, Blister and archetype like this.
  4. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

I have a '72. Bought it 18 years ago from a friend who died recently. Good drummer.

5. Bob Arbogast

Bob Arbogast Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Tremolo will not work without the footswitch, or the jack being shorted.

6. Nozebleeds

Nozebleeds TDPRI Member

Thanks Bob! My Helix has a foot switch out so maybe I can use that to test it out for switching it.

7. strat a various

Can't you short an RCA plug and enable the effect?

8. Nozebleeds

Nozebleeds TDPRI Member

What do you mean short? Connect the two terminals, no idea with this old school stuff other than I love the way it sounds

Wally likes this.
  9. strat a various

Maybe I dreamed this ... take an RCA male plug, solder a very short wire (or a big gob of solder) to short the plug, so center and ground are connected.

10. sudogeek

sudogeek Tele-Meister

My buddy across the street who I play with at times has the same amp - a 71 TR. His is dead mint. He’s a bedroom player and I think that amp has never seen the outdoors or sunlight. I don’t know if or when it has been serviced, but it sounds magnificent.

He also has a mint early 70s Tele Deluxe he got at the same time. 99% of the time he plays a small Line 6 combo and another guitar (his beater is an 80s ES-335).

I keep offering money for the amp each time we play. It’s kinda a long-standing joke but I would gladly pay if he said yes. I think I’m up to $550. I don’t know what I would do with the amp if I got it - probably sit by it in the dark and pat it lovingly. I sure couldn’t turn it up in my house.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    Nozebleeds likes this.
  11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

The best thing about a Twin Reverb is you can play Shea Stadium (un-mic'd) and then turn around and use it as a boat anchor.
    Hope you didn't hurt your back getting it home! ;)

Mouth likes this.
  12. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Right. Just jumper the center conductor to the outer shell of the RCA plug. Plug it into the tremolo jack on the back panel and it connects the tremolo circuit.

BobbyZ likes this.
  13. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

The best sounding twins I've played, without exception, have been early 70s silverface models. You got yourself a great amp!

Telecastoff1 and Nozebleeds like this.
  14. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Nice find!

Nozebleeds likes this.
  15. Bob Arbogast

Bob Arbogast Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

If you have an alligator clip handy, you can just clamp that onto the jack with one jaw on the outside and one on the inside. That will short the jack and let you hear if the circuit starts working.

BobbyZ, Glen W and Wally like this.
  16. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Nice score! Congratulations.

17. Cam

Cam Friend of Leo's

Great score! Contrary to net inspired nonsense, a twin reverb with the turned way down sounds just fine. It just isn't overdriven. Barring the space it takes up, it can pass the bedroom amp, don't offend the neighbours test too.

BobbyZ, Telecastoff1 and Nozebleeds like this.
  18. Blister

Blister Tele-Meister

Good for you man congratulations good luck with it

19. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Great score, congrats! On a side note, I saw George play in Rhode Island circa 2013 (fantastic), and as his signature 'GB' Fender amp had recently come out I thought he'd be playing one, but instead he had a straight old Twin which sounded super great ... maybe his crew was just lining up his amps ahead for each tour stop, I know soe people do that instead of dragging stuff around.

Nozebleeds likes this.
  20. Nozebleeds

Nozebleeds TDPRI Member

I’m really sorry for your loss; I hope the amp has kept a part of him with you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.