1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NAD 1969 Traynor YBA-1 Bass Master

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by KeepItSimpleTele, Dec 3, 2020.

1. KeepItSimpleTele

KeepItSimpleTele Tele-Meister

Got another Traynor Bass Master YBA-1. It has the transformer choke in this one from 1969. Huge iron. Sounds massive but I"m a little surprised the two different channels sounds fairly similar to each other. IMG_9404.JPG IMG_9409.JPG IMG_9410.JPG IMG_9403.JPG IMG_9466.JPG IMG_9405.JPG

2. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

love it

3. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

Had mine for almost 30 years -- paid £70 (UK) for it. I changed the knobs to chicken heads because I find them easiest to read at a quick glance. A reliable and great sounding amp, but on mine there's definitely a considerable difference in tone between the two channels. For guitar I generally just use the bass channel. If I'm playing a guitar that tends to sound a bit too dark then I'll use a patch lead to link both channels and dial in a little more top. I partner the amp with a 1x12 cab with an Eminence Wizard speaker for a compact, straightforward rig that's as loud as I've ever needed without turning it past 4 on the dial -- normally 2 is enough. I play mostly clean and if I want any drive I use a pedal -- at the moment that's provided by a TC Spark Booster (not the mini version).

20201009_122230.jpg

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    drewg and KeepItSimpleTele like this.
  4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

5. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

Nice~looks like you are using it for music time at school:)

6. NTC

NTC Tele-Meister

My first amp is one of these. You still have the original signal caps. My original amp was used as intended- as a bass amp.

The one that LoveHZ has may have the circuit change that changes the cathode follower to another gain stage, has a mid-cut filter, and smaller iron. Apparently the earliest YBA-1's have even bigger iron and use 7027 output tubes.

I have two '69s and one of the 72s. My 72chas been modded back into more of a 5F6A bassman and has a resistor to simulate a 5AR4 rectifier and 6L6WGB output tubes. Very sweet sounding.

YBA-1'S are 5F6A's at heart. When I first played a Victoria bassman clone, I was surprised at how familiar the sound was to me. I had one at home in my first amp...

If you use actal EL34's they have a very different sound. 6CA7's sound more like 6L6's. EL34'schave more of that famous crunchy distortion while the 6CA7's roar. Both at really high volume...

drewg likes this.
  7. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats. Vintage traynors are the bomb. Here's my YRM-1 "73". IMG_20200919_184842.jpg

8. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Meister

Wow... my first bass rig was a YBA Bass Master with 2 Traynor YVC-18 folded bins, and a '68 P bass.
    It was an earth mover!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  9. KeepItSimpleTele

KeepItSimpleTele Tele-Meister

Yeah I’m a bit confused with the two channels being similar in tone. Not clones...but way more similar than my later 73’ YBA-1. I wonder if bright cap had been removed...

10. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

Great amps. Here's my 1973 YRM-1 Reverb Master:
    [​IMG]

Bob

timbraun and ce24 like this.
  11. joshote

joshote Tele-Meister

Man I always wanted one of those. Beautiful amp!

12. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Nice score. Congratulations.

13. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Afflicted

I have a '70 or '71 YBA-1 and removed the bright cap and the bright channel is still very much brighter than the bass channel. Mine doesn't have the choke. Congrats on your recent acquisition!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.