NAD! 1967 Pro Reverb Amp. Overdue post.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Bowpickins, Feb 14, 2020 at 9:39 PM.

1. Bowpickins

Bowpickins Tele-Meister

I picked this amp up last month, after selling my DRRI just before Christmas.

I took it to the tech just after receiving it, and everything checked out great! It had been recapped before I got it (Yay!).

I got the amp with the original Oxford speakers, which I actually liked. They didn't give out on the low end when pushing the amp at higher volumes, even with the bass on 10 (and it was rattling my little music room, too. :lol:), but I wanted to preserve them, so I purchased a pair of Weber 12f150 speakers (just received the second one tonight).

The amp had some caps in the circuit replaced, but no mods. Cosmetically, it's in great shape. Here are some pics! 20200106_202204.jpg

20200106_202432.jpg 20200104_184420.jpg 20200214_191123.jpg

This is sort of a sequel to this thread here:

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/tell-me-about-a-pro-reverb-and-how-it-compared-to-a-65-drri.970760/

In the end, I wound up selling my DRRI after having problems with headroom, and overdrive pedals, as I was playing louder shows. I play both fiddle and guitar, plugging my fiddle in the normal channel, and guitar in the vibrato channel, but overdrive sounded a bit fizzy. I probably should've just clipped the bright cap.

I miss the Deluxe a bit, as it was still was a nice little amp, but this Pro Reverb just has a full sound, without the loud volume of my Twin Reverb (1972 master volume). The Twin is great, and the master volume is useful, but I was looking for an amp that was a bit more than a deluxe, but with the same 2x12 configuration as my Twin.

I joined a new band near the end of last year (doing my first "mainly lead guitar" gig), and I'm playing more un-miced restaurant gigs, and though the twin still sounds nice with the master rolled back, the Pro just has such a sweet sound to it.

The Pro is also lighter than the Twin, but that's probably the smaller transformers, and maybe cab material(?).

After playing with it and comparing to my Twin, I now understand why the original BF amps are popular. I'm playing my first show with it at the end of this month. :)

Thanks for reading,
    Joseph.

Attached Files:

2. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Congrats, a beautiful amp.

I’m jealous, I have never owned Pro Reverb, and I I’ve owned I almost every other SF or BF Fender combo amp multiple times. I guess that I’ve just never ran across a Pro Reverb when I was looking for a new vintage amp . I would love to own one someday.

Enjoy,

Bowpickins likes this.
  3. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Very nice! Congratulations, and enjoy it!

Bowpickins likes this.
  4. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Nice! I bet it sounds great. Enjoy it.

Bowpickins likes this.
  5. Bowpickins

Bowpickins Tele-Meister

Thanks!

They're great amps! I waited quite a while to find one locally. This is my first BF amp. Also have the 1972 SF twin reverb, and a 1974 Music Man 210 sixty five.

I had to be patient to find mine. They're really going up on the market.

gridlock likes this.
  6. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Holic

Nice! My first "serious" Fender amp was a Pro Reverb, either a 66 or 67 in the mid 70s. I never could get the sound I was looking for, not the amp's fault. In the 1990s, I obtained a SF Pro Reverb, ending up trading it for a JC120. Last year, I bought another one, for about one third of the market value. It was equipped with a pair of JBL K120s, which I used in another amp project. Like the OP, I respeakered with a pair of Webers, which produce a great sound, but the amp was extraneous, since I also have a 71 SFDR that is 2x10 JBL equipped, 6L6 powered 30 watter, and a 1968 SF Drip Edge Twin. I ended up selling it for about 2.5 times what I paid for it, and kept the K120s- win-win!

Bowpickins likes this.
  7. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

Sings at any volume. Be prepared to dump your pedal board.

Bowpickins likes this.
  8. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I love the Oxfords in those. I had mine rebuilt and they were glorious.
    I put F150's in a Vibrolux once. Couldn't play it anywhere it was too loud to use. Played a huge old Roller Rink with a sound guy. At break I asked how the mix was, he said "I turned your amp mic off and you may still be too loud" The Vibrolux was on 3-4.

Bowpickins likes this.
  9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Way cool!

Bowpickins likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.