NAD:1954 Fender Deluxe

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jamie_h, Jul 5, 2019.

1. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Excellent, congratulations.
    A great find.

Jamie_h likes this.
  2. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Meister

very nice,congrats!

Jamie_h likes this.
  3. bluebirdrad

bluebirdrad Tele-Meister

You will enjoy it.
    Congrats!

Jamie_h likes this.
  4. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

What a beautiful amp. Nice score.

Please don't trifle with those filter caps. When one goes (no if, only when), your irreplaceable original OT will be destroyed. Filter caps don't last forever, and it is remarkable that yours have lasted 65 years. If it was mine, I would not turn it on one more time until that's done.

Tgrn and Jamie_h like this.
  5. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Afflicted

Yes, those things are awesome. Here’s mine with my Strat. It’s with my Tele in my avatar.

I’ve had it for 6 or 7 years now. It’s caused everything else to collect dust. I use it for everything - gigs, rehearsals and at home. I’ve put literally several thousand hours of use on it.

Best sounding amp I’ve ever had. Enjoy.

A5448810-88B5-4DB4-B95F-B0F5A71BF0F7.jpeg

6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Congratulations...it appears completely original and untouched. If it is going to be played, I am in the camp that holds that the electrolytics need to be replaced. If the e-caps are left as is and the amp is played, the Sonics will not be what they should/could be, and one runs the risk of serious damage while listening to an amp that is not operating at its maximum potential. Whether or not those Astron tone and coupling caps are still of any use could be assessed after the e-caps are done.
    Very nice looking amp.
    FWIW, these pre-1955 Fenders do not have the differences that the later amps did. That is, this Deluxe is very similar to the bigger amps. The early Ppros I have owned owned are very much the same circuit as this deluxe....just more output. The 1955 ‘E’ circuits started to show more differences among Fender amps.

7. Rick P

Rick P TDPRI Member

Super find,not sure I,ve seen a cleaner one.

Jamie_h likes this.
  8. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Meister

Bawlmer, MD- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
    What a beauty! Congratulations!
    I have a late 57' Champ I play a few times a week that's still kickin with all its original electronics, also a "Lupe". Due to the output voltage of the house I live in (121V), I did use a 5 watt diode chain circuit on the PT center tap to bring the B1 voltages from 425 to 340. It runs a lot cooler, and I'm sure the caps are happier.... However, I think the advice given so far on power cap replacement is wise.

Jamie_h likes this.
  9. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

Congrats. That looks like it's been in a museum all this time.

Jamie_h likes this.
  10. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Really cool amp, but I'd get the caps done. Even if they have no bubbles and seem perfect, it only takes one to take out the output tranny...

2 Headed Goat and Jamie_h like this.
  11. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Wow. Incredible find there. I love the wide-panel era for both looks and sonics. For many of us, that might be a tough one to own. It's so nice and clean that it falls into the collector category. I know I'd feel a little torn about touching it as it seems be frozen in time. For many a guitar player, a holy grail amp. Not knowing what you paid, you might be able to fetch a considerable dollar for it. Then find yourself a 1954 Deluxe player's amp. Once that is not so perfect. That maybe has already seen a soldering iron. That will sound as good or better than this one above. Yet, be acquired for considerably less money.

Whatever you decide is up to you. We are all pretty envious and happy for you. That amp is a great motivator to get you on the fretboard more often!

Jamie_h likes this.
  12. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

This is a serious consideration.
    Minty amps are cool, but I seldom keep them.
    One that still looks pretty damn sweet, but has had some changes, could cost 50% what yours is worth...and sound better because it's been serviced.
    You could sell that one and buy another and probably something like a tweed Princeton, both in "player" condition.
    My tweeds would all be worth as much as 2x more if they looked like yours.
    Those 2 extra holes on top of the Bassman? Probably saved me $1000.... 011.JPG 51 deluxe 2.jpg Fender Pro.jpg DSCN0008_zpscz1oxy0l.JPG 014.JPG

13. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I know...it's weird..."Nice amp...you should sell it!"
    But it's something to think about.
    There are people who pay top coin for minty amps...I'm not sure what they do with them.
    Probably a lot like antique motorcycle and car owners who invite their buddies over and stand there with a beer saying, "Righteous ride, bro."

14. SixgunElectric

SixgunElectric TDPRI Member

Very nice!

I side with the folks who say service rhw caps...you know, then play the FIRE out of it!
    These things were meant to make music, not sit in showcases. lol

Jamie_h likes this.
  15. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I don't just side with the folks who suggest "change the filter caps".

I would not even turn it on at all until they are replaced. *IF* it was dead mint with over, paperwork...and preferably original shipping box...it'd be a non-playing museum piece.

But if you are going to play it AT ALL replace the filter caps, and if it has the original 2-prong cord replace it as well with a correctly-wired 3-prong (and get rid of the useless "death cap").

I have replaced THREE power transformers in ones players bought, either didn't know about or ignored the fact that filter caps have a service life of 15-20 years, had one blow with NO warning and take out the PT. Sure, they often work for decades - but they are time bombs with no "clock"

- just an internal "surprise" switch that causes them to either start to weaken (leak electronically), or leak physically (yet often still sound fine) - or blow, possibly burning up the power transformer. And permanently wrecking one more vintage amp.

I'm not kidding in the least. It may sound PERFECT right now, and the next time you simply turn it on - *POOF*. There goes about $800++ in service costs and vintage value.

That results in an expensive repair and an even greater reduction in value.

I have been dealing in the vintage market, primarily as a consultant or tech to vintage dealers. A properly serviced amp in the condition yours is in will have exactly the same value as it has now. The ONLY difference - it can be safely played. So from a financial standpoint it makes NO sense to leave it "stock". Sure, people oooooh and ahhhh over it - but when it comes down to resale value, there's no difference except one -

A buyer would need to spend between $200-500 (the higher umber is tubes were replaced with NOS tubes) before he could use it without worry.

So if you REALLY want to get technical - your amp is worth LESS than one that has been serviced.

And wrapping the caps with the paper from the old ones is just meaningless "eye candy" = plus most good modern caps are not exactly the same size.

So my advice - don't even be tempted to turn it on "just for a few minutes". Take it straight to a qualified tech, tell him to replace filter caps replaced and the other electrolytics tested with an ESR meter (and replaced if necessary - although the bypass caps won't damage the amp if they blow), have a 3-prong plug installed and other service work done as needed.

NOTE: You have to TELL many techs what work you want done. Because of some players misplaced thoughts about originality and value they won't touch original, working parts unless ASKED.

OTOH, if you're NEVER going to turn it on again put it in a plexiglass case on display.

IMO those are the only two choices. Playing it - even powering it up - with 64 year old filter caps is NOT a wise decision.

2 Headed Goat and Wally like this.
  16. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

Amazing frozen in time amp! I'm with the others. Either untouched museum/collectors piece to drool over OR change those old e-caps/ungrounded cord out and play it! If it were me, that would be a tough call to make. I'd love it both ways! On the fence right now.

17. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

Oh my that thing is beautiful!
    Can’t believe how clean it is :eek:
    Enjoy for sure

Jamie_h likes this.
  18. Jamie_h

Jamie_h TDPRI Member

Thanks for the kind words and advice guys. The amp HAS been sent off for service.

19. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

that is awesome

Jamie_h likes this.
  20. jimytheassassin

jimytheassassin TDPRI Member

Good luck! Make sure they return everything that’s taken out and replaced and bag it. That’s a sweet looking amp

D'tar and Jamie_h like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.