1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NAD 1954 Fender 5C7 Bandmaster

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by BloozeGtr, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

This will ime be the circuit in the amp the OP has.
    https://schematicheaven.net/fenderamps/pro_5d5_schem.pdf

Note the 12A-7 tubes, and remember that we can see the 12A-7s in one picture the OP gives us. As for this amp or a true 5C7 being a predecessor to the later 5E7 Bandmaster, that could be said of any of the big tweeds from 1954 on back. There was not much variation between those models but for speakers. pin fact, the 5D8 Twin is a closer relative to the 1955 and later 6L6 Fender tweeds in that it is the first to have both a treble and a bass control...with everything else being very much the same as the Contemporary Pro/Bandmaster/Super amps.

BobbyZ likes this.
  2. NTC

NTC Tele-Meister

5D5 also just has a simple tone control, not bass and treble.

Wally likes this.
  3. BloozeGtr

BloozeGtr TDPRI Member

Hi all.
    Taking to a tech tomorrow. We'll see what his thoughts are.

BobbyZ and corliss1 like this.
  4. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

Neat score, even with the concerns raised thus far. Those early cathode-biased tweeds with paraphase PIs have a fun character.

I've always been interested in the Treble/Bass circuit used on those first Bandmasters -- is it the same as the 5C8 Twin, or something different? @Wally ?

@BloozeGtr, if your tech can trace out the schematic and post it online, he'd be doing quite the service to our community. :)

5. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Congrats. Nice amp.

6. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

Wally likes this.
  7. NTC

NTC Tele-Meister

Model 5F6? wouldn't it be a 5F3 Deluxe? Was there a 5F3 Deluxe?

8. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

5F6 would be a Bassman, if I'm thinking clearly on one cup of coffee. Last number in those fifties model designations is the amp.
    The 3 in 5e3= Deluxe
    The 7 in 5e7= Bandmaster
    Two things you can't trust in life, a fart and a Fender tube chart. (that list is actually longer that two, but I gotta get to work and I'd rather not tick off any ladies this early in the morning. :) )

CWP0126 likes this.
  9. NTC

NTC Tele-Meister

That is why I mentioned it. Maybe a reproduction tube chart and someone slipped?

10. Wally

NTC, CWP0126 posted that tube chart anomaly in support of my post which he quoted and in which I noted that I have owned amps that carried tube charts that had nothing to do with the amp into which the chart was glued at the factory. Fender would use ANY tube chart if they did not have a correct chart on hand. The tube chart in the amp we see there and in the link is original to the amp....all signs point to its originality. The ink stamp is correct and relates to the serial number. That serial number dates to 1958. The wear looks correct for originality.
    Here is a link to both an explanation of tube chart anomalies and the dating for the serial number.
    http://www.ggjaguar.com/fendamp5.htm

I owned a 1968 Dual ?Showman Reverb that had an AB165 tube chart in it. It was obviously original to the amp. Such th8ngs happened.....tube charts are not definitive and correct in all cases.

CWP0126 likes this.
  11. maplestor33

maplestor33 TDPRI Member

It's more or less the same. The Bandmaster is a Twin stuffed into a Pro (same cabinet, chassis, transformers, speaker).
    I could probably have a go of it if you'd like @BloozeGtr? Plenty of photos in this thread to work with.
    Any news? What was his verdict?

ThermionicScott likes this.
  12. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I love stuff like this! And I love this forum. Subbed and popping popcorn...

13. Wally

Well, we are waiting for the Op to get back to us. However, looking back at the pictures, it is evident that this amp is a Super that is built in the manner of a 5D8 Twin...paraphase inverter, cathode biased.
    you can compare the pictures of the P
    https://schematicheaven.net/fenderamps/twin_5d8_schem.pdf

This amp is not like a Pro of the same year.

14. Wally

Well, we are waiting for the Op to get back to us. However, looking back at the pictures, it is evident that this amp is a Super that is built in the manner of a 5D8 Twin...paraphase inverter, cathode biased.
    you can compare the pictures of the this Bandmaster to the layout of this Twin...
    https://schematicheaven.net/fenderamps/twin_5d8_schem.pdf

This amp is not like a Pro or Super of the same year. Interesting amp.

Mexitele Blues likes this.
  15. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Sweet amp! Congratulations.

16. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I haven't been this excited about a thread since the one about the guy that found the vintage tele at a flea market...

17. BloozeGtr

BloozeGtr TDPRI Member

Hello all.
    I havent forgotten! Will do my best to upload audio within a few days. Things have been hectic lately in my private life (busy at work, etc.).
    Do y'all have recommendations for how to upload sound clips? Youtube?

screefer and El Tele Lobo like this.
  18. BloozeGtr

BloozeGtr TDPRI Member

Update:

Hello all. Figured I would take time on a Friday night to issue an update to the story of this amp.
    Took her to a tech who confirmed that this is indeed a 5D7 Bandmaster. It was likely sitting at the factory for an extended period of time while Fender was transitioning between the octal preamp tubes and the 12-- series tubes that came later.

Had a brand new 3-prong installed. Had other items replaced as needed (coupling caps, 25v caps). Confirmed that the transformers are original!

The SOUND:

Big. Like I expected a HiWatt to sound. Its middy but also trebly at the same time. Big Bold Rich Clean Tone
    The Mic volume control has a definite effect on the sound...seems to work like a mid and gain control together. Clean and Sparkly but with the mids my DRRI lacks.

The only downside:

Its louder than expected. Though its 22 watts like my DRRI, the 6L6 tubes and 15" speaker really push this thing. The minimum volume I can play the thing on (3 for the instrument input) and significantly louder than my DRRI on the Vibrato channel with the volume at around 2.5 - 3.

But a very good sounding amp. I can see why some people call these larger tweeds as similar to Marshalls. Its middy but gives up the sparkle as well.

ThermionicScott and El Tele Lobo like this.
  19. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.