NAD ‘68 Deluxe Custom GC edition.

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by 4pickupguy, Oct 23, 2019.

1. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Picked up my ‘68 Deluxe Custom from GC this afternoon!! Got 15% off with the coupon that expressly excluded Fender products.... so, there ya go.
    The ‘65 BF is sparkly spanky where this ‘68, even in the vintage channel is a tad bit more aggressive. The ‘Custom’ channel is a tad more aggressive still and has more lower mids going on. Love the sound of the BF but I think the 68 SF will serve the fusion thing a bit better. No mistaking this thing for anything but Fender though. If I were in a country band still I would have gone with the BF.
    The Guitar Center edition just means it comes with the red lettered face plate and a 150 watt Celestion Redback speaker. This speaker is really something. 2” voice coil, massive ceramic mag and adds a bit of extra weight to the amp, which I don’t care about (mainly because I haven’t skated across an icey parking lot with it at 2:00am yet). Celestions take forever to loosen up because of the thick, tight suspensions and this one needs it bad. The demo unit speaker sounded beautiful, I am confident this one will work itself in. This amp is the center dry section of my new Wet/Dry/Wet main band rig and will serve alone on sub gigs and jams!! So stoked, I’m giddy as a school girl!!!

The matching amp stand is on back-order. Sitting on the floor for now...

F9EA74F3-4B04-444A-A6D7-24BEEAB8C74D.jpeg D9A6316E-3DC9-4CFF-A076-AA3AA9A01E61.jpeg 3FEEF038-3A82-4909-9BE4-C9CB14415CD0.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  2. Bigpernz

Bigpernz Tele-Meister

Super cool amp congrats!

4pickupguy likes this.
  3. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Beauty!l Congrats!

4pickupguy likes this.
  4. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Love the ‘68 Custom Deluxe Reverbs and I’d love to hear one with that speaker.

Congrats and enjoy.

4pickupguy likes this.
  5. 4pickupguy

You look to young have been around when Gauss speakers roamed the earth, but, its like a Gauss and a greenback had a baby. its really quite tight until you get some electrons through it. This one isnt broken in yet so that point is quite loud. I trust/hope that point will lower with use. I suspect some more highs will peak through with use as well. Very thumpy and crisp. Seems quicker than say, a greenback but it does have a 2" voice coil to motivate it. There is absolutely no way to hurt this speaker with this amp.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  6. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nice! Can't wait for your inevitable (I hope) demo. Happy New Amp Day!

4pickupguy likes this.
  7. stevekolt

stevekolt TDPRI Member

Very nice, what is the matching amp stand you are talking about? I bought the limited edition DRRI, solid pine cabinet, tweed covering and a Celestion G12-65 speaker. Had it shipped directly to Andy Fuchs for his ODS mod. He mentioned a folding stand called "Standback" that angles the amp up, while still maintaining contact with the ground.

8. 4pickupguy

Wow that sounds like a very special amp! What is the mod Andy does? I take it to be dumblesque?

https://reverb.com/p/ultimate-suppo...s-ultra-compact-3-position-amplifier-stand"/>

This is the stand I was talking about. They are super handy. They fold up into tiny little things and they are not very expensive at all. I dont use the mic stand thing, I just drape E609s over the front. There are sturdier, heavier ones out there but I just love these things!
    0B069D3B-BD38-4EC3-9FA7-CA74BC4BDC1A.png 833C992E-EC7D-4D5E-91F5-C48E6AD095FC.jpeg

9. stevekolt

stevekolt TDPRI Member

4pickupguy, I have that stand, and use a gooseneck for mic placement. I seem to lose some bass though since the amp has no contact with the floor. Here is a link to the stand Andy was talking about. http://standback.net/?dcv=1#purchase and yes, the ODS mod is very "dumblesque". Ive been playing a 50 watt Fuchs ODS head into an open back Fuchs 1x12 cabinet for a good while now. Just wanting something a bit smaller/more manageable for the smaller clubs.

4pickupguy likes this.
  10. 4pickupguy

Pretty cool! Of course, We could both just go old school....
    2A15BFD9-D33E-4959-9178-4F6152BA7C52.png

11. 4pickupguy

The stand makes it all fit. It’s about as small a W/D/W rig as I can make..

1B9ED331-9DD6-43EF-A868-49D75C6016D0.jpeg

FenderLover and Treynor like this.
  12. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

that's hot

4pickupguy likes this.
  13. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Beautiful- my dream amp.
    You are so lucky in the US. Here in Oz that would be a few thousand $$$s second hand.

4pickupguy likes this.
  14. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Congrats. The reason why you hear a difference in the Vintage channel compared to the BFDR is that they doubled the resistance of the top resistor in the negative feedback loop. That affects both channels. Fwiw, if a person wanted that Custom channel to move even into a more customized mode, that can be done. fender did not make much of a change there....they could have gone much farther toward the ‘tweed’ thing. I have modded the ‘65 RI long ago...in the manner that has been done on vintage Fenders for decades.

4pickupguy likes this.
  15. 4pickupguy

Thanks! I tried in vain to find out what they meant by “reduced negative feedback”. I like the subtlety of the difference so far, I have yet to use this amp with a band, so I will keep this info in mind.

On an unrelated note, one thing this Deluxe confirmed for me is just close the Ethos preamp/power amp (the two outboard cabs) portion is in tone. The Fender wins out in the ’sparkly highs’ but it really is pretty close. If you want to mount a Deluxe on a pedal board, the Ethos really does a great BF/SF emulation.

16. tce63

tce63 Tele-Afflicted

HNAD, Congrats

4pickupguy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.