Nachos Guitars pricing ????

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by TeleFunk Man, Oct 12, 2017.

1. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

Lucky you, and lucky Arlen. Perhaps Arlen's Nachocaster is due for a minor set-up. It can happen to the best and worst of us. I'm sure it can be fixed, or is he thinking of sending it back? That I very much doubt.

2. nocastermike

nocastermike Tele-Meister

He told me he will send it back for adjustment. I don't think he has yet though.

tonyj likes this.
  3. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

The alternatives to buying a 'collectable' guitar, for those folks who see certain guitars as being collectable, are few.

The minty, 'closet queen', the 'under the bed for years' versions of guitars like a telecaster or certain Les Pauls can cost more than some folks earn in a lifetime. Houses cost less than those rare guitars that most of us never even get to see, let alone touch. Yet we still dream of them.

So what are the alternatives? An expensive new Gibson, or Fender for instance, can cost a wad of money, perhaps in the $5k to $10k price range. A good or even great guitar no doubt, but either it becomes a closet queen itself, or perhaps it gets well used and is subjected to a few 'tweaks' which often happens when the owner starts to 'customize ' it. Nothing wrong with either picture.

Or, like many of us we can spend that money on a 'vintage' guitar. There are from time to time 'vintage' guitars appearing on various websites that have appealed to me. I have checked them out. They have been in the same price range or even higher, than a new high end guitar. So what happened in my own vintage quest? In the case of three '60s 'vintage' telecasters I have checked out recently. Two had been 'refinished', all had various pieces of hardware replaced with non-original bits and bobs, such as tuners, bridges, saddles etc.. Wiring, caps and pots have often been questionable and all in all the overall presentation of each of these guitars has left me realizing that it would cost me more to 'fix' these partscasters, than I am willing to pay.....and 'yes' I know a 'refin' is not fixable, and the empty tuner screw-holes are not pretty or original. Nor am I fond of cracked or broken pickguards.

OK, where to go from here? Staying with telecasters (and Strats too) I have owned a number of CS guitars. Every one has been a success story. They are usually excellent players. I do like them - at least the ones I own: although I have seen some recent renditions that curled my toes with their garish looks. I don't like them.

So where from here? Well, I was able to get my hands on a copy of 'The Blackguard Book', by Nacho Banos. It was a brilliant and well presented book which focussed on early 'telecasters'. Nothing else: just those early Broadcasters and Telecasters. I was smitten. I further found out that the gentleman who had written this book, was also building guitars that generally replicated the actual guitars he had written about. I had to know more. I wrote a letter to an address in Spain, and received a very kind and informative account of what was being made available from time to time by this gentleman in his own workshop.

I also realised that these guitars, which I had now heard on line, sounded as good as anything I had previously heard. I realised also that I could own one of these guitars for less than I had anticipated and that I could choose the actual guitar I liked from a gallery of photographs of that or similar guitars - assuming they hadn't already been sold of course.

I am now the proud owner of a unique recreation of an early fifties telecaster. I am totally intrigued by it. This is in no way an assembly line product. Every square inch (or square centimetre) of it was lovingly prepared by a master builder who imparts the same attention to detail as he does to the guitars he describes in his book. I love this guitar and have no regrets whatsoever in buying it. Thank you Mr. Nacho Banos!!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    old wrench, mrfett, Crashbelt and 3 others like this.
  4. Jules78

Jules78 Tele-Holic

Im more open minded on these than I used to be. If I wanted a relicd tele Id get a nacho, if I wanted the best made guitar for the money, its a Kirn... I mean 2 Kirns since thats what you can buy with what a nacho cost. But if relicing is your thing, go for it. Its a far better relic guitar for the money than a masterbuilt fender and all those things he does to age it are labor intensive and his knowledge of vintage teles is hard to put a price tag on.

tonyj likes this.
  5. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Nacho is the man.

I've never even ran into one of these guitars in person but have stared at them for years.

If someone asks "What did a BlackGuard look like when new" there ya go:

[​IMG]

I kind of wish he'd ^^^^^ assemble NOS guitars, as much as his relics are the best in the business.

6. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

You are probably right Jules.

In fact I do own a Kirn Guitar (#0368) which is totally brilliant in every way: a triple XXX guitar.... tone, sustain, looks, feel and even smell. It's a one piece straight grained 'Loblolly' gem, with nary a knot in sight. Long story ..... one of the finest 'telecasters' to come through these parts..... I was more than incredibly lucky to acquire it. The guy who sold it to me wanted it back. So no argument from me on that score ..... in fact no argument at all. If it was on the market again I would buy it. it really is a gem. Whether a 'Kirn' is a better for the money than the 'Nacho' is a statement I have no answer to. They are both top quality pieces from highly skilled individuals.

However ...... the 'Nacho' (#2678) is still sending those shivers up my spine. Granted, it is perhaps in a different category. Like the 'Kirn' it is a replica of something that was originally created by Leo. One is an Nth degree re-creation, the other is a different take on that same re-creation. Both are strongly influenced by the "Broadcaster" but in not so slightly different ways.

If Ron were to build his guitars in the same way that Nacho does, you wouldn't get two guitars for your money. Likewise if Nacho followed Ron's recipe, he might be able to do " two for the price of one". They are similar but so different. The quality may be the same, but the end result is purposefully different.

My way might be best however. I have both a 'Roncaster' and a 'Nachocaster'. I get to love 'em both, but not at the same time, and each for similar but different reasons. Two guitars of the finest order, and together, still cheaper than some of the questionable vintage guitars that some folks are trying to unload onto us innocent and unsuspecting victims. (Yeah right!)

7. ROADMAN

ROADMAN Poster Extraordinaire

well put tonyj...I would love to own either one of those guitars
    and am green with envy
    I recently acquired a Nash T-52 lite relic and am blown away by this guitar and can only imagine what it would be like built to Nachos specs....if you ever get down to the Okanagan like many of you cowboys from Alberta do , bring the Nacho and the Kirn and I'll show you some pictures of my sister...

tonyj likes this.
  8. PhatBoy

PhatBoy Tele-Afflicted

This thread comes up every so ofte. It's boring and I can't believe it has taken up 5 pages.
    Move on, or go read the previous threads.

9. ROADMAN

ROADMAN Poster Extraordinaire

or read and respond to any threads we'd like much like you have the option to...

Crashbelt and tonyj like this.
  10. OwenHu99

OwenHu99 TDPRI Member

I would love to know some more affordable teles that are as dark, smooth and punchy as Julian's nachocaster. Care to point me in a direction?

11. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

Of course people that own real vintage, or reproduction custom vintage whatever teles are going to rave about how great they are. They are protecting their investment.
    It’s ridiculous. It’s a mass produced tinkertoy design. The whole racket is like expensive wine. Even the best sommeliers can’t tell the difference between $30 and $300 wine in a double blind taste test.
    I have no right to tell people they can’t buy one, but I have every right to consider them a fool and loudly proclaim it.

12. aquinatis

aquinatis TDPRI Member

Hello...

here's "Brenda", a "52 Blackguard by Nacho. Mine actually.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

What is to say about it? Well of course, the price. 4500 euro second hand, which are more or less 4500$ considering VAT etc... So it's a bunch of money, indeed the price of a crappy car (like mine). It takes some times to afford that money.

But no regret, no regret at all: I owned Squier tele, American Special, AVRI 52, CS teles, builders one. By far this one is the best, if you are looking for a vintage feeling one, which are particular: perfect V-neck - Nacho is famous for that neck-, 6,3 pounds, so resonant, with the best low-ends I have never heard. Playing it unplugged is a joy. But I should repeat that: that's a vintage feeling, nothing to compare with a 60's tele for instance.
    Looks beautiful too, the relic job is perfect in my sense.
    Mine came with a letter from Redd Volkert, who choose it in the batch, and that was a really good choice.

The question is for me that I am not a good player, maybe too much for me... But so much to enjoy.

My advise, but it's difficult to accomplish for sure, is to try one before talking about these. Some "pros" played "Brenda", and all of them tried to buy it after :)

ROADMAN, Crashbelt, JSanta and 3 others like this.
  13. aquinatis

aquinatis TDPRI Member

And I realize that I did not say a word about the wiring and the PUs: 4 positions, the usual tele 3 positions, and a position "hum bucker-like", very nice. About the PU, for the first time in my life I played on the tele neck position and found it "useful" (so ok that's me, I am not a good player at all).
    My thing is ZZ Top blues like play: these Pu are perfect, but they were perfect for Redd Volkert too, in a totally different style...

14. aquinatis

aquinatis TDPRI Member

oops... I forgot: on his site, just after the publishing of his list, you could find at every time some guitars to buy the week after, some of these are going to one or two resellers here in Europe, so you can still buy Nacho Guitars...

15. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Meister

Eh, for that kind of money, I think I’d rather have a Rick Turner Model 1-CLB. I love Teles, but I could never see myself paying more than $1750 tops for one.

16. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

Impossible! People say they're overpriced and not worth it! :D

17. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Very obviously personal taste.

Regardless of price, @aquinatis' Nacho is a gorgeous example of what many people love about Telecasters.

The Turner? Not so much.

18. aquinatis

aquinatis TDPRI Member

Don't know. A master build is more expansive. A pro call me to buy this one: he's playing on an all original 58 but by these times he would prefer to leave it at home....

19. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

Great post aquinatis ! Great photos too and what looks like a superb Nacho guitar.

Take care of Brenda, and she'll be taking care of you for years to come. I am assuming you haven't had her for very long?

Welcome to the Forum btw!

20. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm curious, how does Nacho label / mark his Telecasters? No decal... His relic treatment is so complete, I can't think of any location he'd want to put such an anachronistic artifact like his name.

At the same time, I imagine he wouldn't want anyone to confuse his stuff with the real thing. For fun, yeah, but not for real...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.